Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:45 AM

4 posts, read 9,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rraC ynnaD View Post
Bridesburg is as safe and as quiet as it gets. 19137, the east side of Aramingo.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:50 PM

148 posts, read 411,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2741 View Post

Harrowgate Park used to be a place to play. By 1988 it was a campground for junkies and the homeless, and the once green grass that as a kid I played football on with friends, was then brown and riddled with used syringes. In the early 80's the factories all closed up. Devon Apparel, etc. all screwed their employees (typical "strong" unions at work fleecing their employees!) and lots of people were laid off. In the summer of 1991, my parents sold the house and moved into an apartment. They sold everything - the furniture included, for $17,000 cash to one of those 'We Buy Houses With Cash' guys. At the time I figured they got ripped off. But in fact, after moving they told me that numerous times since around 1990, burglars/junkies/whatever had tried to break in and rob the house while my parents were sleeping. My parents moved to an apartment in the Northeast. I drove through Kensington a number of times during the late 90's and it got worse and worse.
Was the area around Harrowgate Park ever known as Harrowgate in local vernacular? Or has that always been Kensington? Kensington just seems like such an amorphous area. St. Michael Church at 2nd & Jefferson is in Kensington (Olde Kensington) and Harrowgate Park at Kensington Ave & Tioga St is in Kensington also?

Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 AM

289 posts, read 338,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsChelle View Post
Was the area around Harrowgate Park ever known as Harrowgate in local vernacular? Or has that always been Kensington? Kensington just seems like such an amorphous area. St. Michael Church at 2nd & Jefferson is in Kensington (Olde Kensington) and Harrowgate Park at Kensington Ave & Tioga St is in Kensington also?
HAHA! I was baptized at St. Michael's in 1969 and on a regular basis used to buy excellent weed at Harrowgate Park in the mid to late 80's. My dad grew up at 5th and Jefferson and worked in Harrowgate at Tioga and Collins. He said 2nd and Jefferson was known as North Philly and Harrowgate Park was simply just Kensington. Harrowgate was closer to Frankford and Tioga.

Last edited by rraC ynnaD; 02-07-2013 at 01:45 AM..

Old 04-12-2013, 06:23 AM

104 posts, read 130,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern Rock View Post
Think of the movie "Rocky" and you have the picture of white Kensington back in the day. Parts of it still exist, such as the areas around Frankford and Amber streets, but for the most part, it is over. In the late 80's I watched the neighborhood around St. Hugh deteriorate into a horrible place. You can't blame them for leaving.

There are many nice people from Kensington, but my experience is that most of the "Kenzo" types tend to be ill-mannered. They will only acknowledge you if you are introduced to them by another one of them. At house partys they will sit around a table and play cards, ignoring everbody else, just like in jail. Quite a mentality, probably built over years around an insular neighborhood and way of life. Again, just my experience and viewpoint. It was always a rough neigborhood.

Keep in mind that Fishtown and Port Richmond are two completely different and distinct areas apart from Kenzington.
There was a family of the type mentioned that moved into (and ultimately lost) a house a few doors from us. They would have parties that started in their yard on Fridays and go until Sundays around the clock.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetHussein View Post
Thanks so much!
I live in Bridesburg and would disagree. Lots of drugs and domestic disputes. Plus many clubs, bars and caterers that don't have lots, so parking is a nightmare. I've been here for 5 years and can't wait til next year when I will be moving.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 AM

802 posts, read 1,320,885 times
The streets and area around Norris Square are ripe for gentrification. However that won't be happening any time soon, as the civic association is doing everything in their power to prevent it.

It really is too bad. There are many rowhouses and brownstones that are in great shape, especially around the park.

Old 04-12-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taha-nj View Post
This is not necessarily directed at you, but I've never seen this many "but there is X in every neighborhood/city" comebacks on any other forum.

I sure as hell hope there is NO heroin (I assume the ODs were junkies) at least in some Philly neighborhoods...
Heroin is big in Bridesburg. Since I've been here, 5 years, there have been 4 OD deaths from it on my block.

Old 08-25-2017, 03:55 PM

88 posts, read 111,252 times
Hopefully the contrarian boxercrew4 finally moved to his imaginary urban paradise. Meanwhile Bridesburg is one of the hottest neighborhoods in Philly. There's some crime as everywhere, thanks to the opiod epidemic and the greedy doctors who created it, but statistically Bridesburg residents are much safer and stay put longer than folks in other neighborhoods.

It's the last of the desirable River Wards and one of the best family neighborhoods in the city, a fifteen minute drive into center city and with the Betsy Ross bridge it's convenient to the nicer shopping areas and theatres in Cherry Hill. With only a few streets in or out, it's an enclave, and when the new 10 acre park is completed it will be the best place to live in the city. The new road and bikepaths near the river are a huge plus and the best is yet to come.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:19 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
I guess olde or south, whatever they call it, kensington didn't really exist when this thread was made 8 years ago.

Old 08-26-2017, 08:26 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,246,081 times
I guess Frankie Avalon and Fabian don't live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia