Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2017, 07:03 PM

93 posts, read 146,616 times

Advertisements

So, full disclosure....I hate highways.... serious anxiety attack when I try to drive on one. Not safe, right?

Anyway, I get along just fine a majority of the time. I find back roads and am able to get most places that I want to go in a reasonable amount of time. It may take a little longer, but we are safe and I am relaxed.

That being said....the airport is hard! A couple times I went on the road past the sports complex and over a small bridge (can't remember the name) and would park at one of the long term lots. Coming home was a challenge because if I was in the wrong lane...oops hello 95! Well they started doing construction on that bridge quite a few years ago so I stopped driving. Ive been lucky and can get a ride from a friend, uber, commuter rail or stay at the Holiday Inn Citizens Park (awesome park and fly deals) and it works out better for me than driving.

Now my mother wants to visit. Refuses to Uber or get on the train (even though i would pick her up at 30th st) because she gets nervous, wonder where I get it?????

So I need to find a new way to the airport, sans highways. Ive been googling different ideas from locations in south philly i am already comfortable with and they all want to dump me on 95 or 76 at some point, even if it is just to get right off despite choosing avoid highways. Any ideas? Please help!

ps.... I will already be in South Philly that morning around 20th and Penrose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 08:51 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,680,436 times
You want to take Passyunk Ave. which becomes Essington.
Right on Bartram Ave.
Left on Gov. Printz Blvd./Industrial Hwy. and follow the signs to go to the right for the airport (they come up like immediately I believe.)

Old 08-15-2017, 06:49 AM

288 posts, read 244,815 times
Gmaps directions of the above route:

https://goo.gl/maps/q1YHWsgbEgG2

Old 08-15-2017, 07:22 AM

93 posts, read 146,616 times
Thank you, I saw that route yesterday and tried to follow the street view on Google maps but kept getting off track. So industrial highway is not truly a highway, or anot entrance to 76....that's where I kept ending up on Google maps....

On second thought, does that bring you up past the cell phone lot?

Old 08-15-2017, 06:30 PM

184 posts, read 370,383 times
I'm on that part of Bartram Av everyday btw 9a-10a, it's not busy at all.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:36 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
By the way, if the "small bridge" you're talking about is the George C. Platt Memorial:

--Well, I wouldn't call it "small," as it has quite a vertical rise in order to allow huge ships to pass under it, and

--there are ways to get on and off of it at its southern end that don't require using I-95.

Southbound, pay attention to the signs; you want to use the Island Avenue off-ramp rather than the one marked "International Airport." Turn right on Island at the end of the ramp, then pass under 95 and turn left on Bartram Avenue at the next signal. Then follow the directions above to Industrial Highway.

Northbound, just reverse the directions. Follow the signs for "Rental Car Return / Return to Airport" as you exit the airport in order to avoid getting on 95; these will take you to a southbound road that occupies part of the right-of-way for old Penrose Avenue (PA 291; the cell phone parking lot occupies part of the former northbound lanes). IIRC, you can continue straight on this road beyond the airport return turnoff; at this point, you will be on Industrial Highway and should be able to navigate your way back to Bartram Avenue. Then turn right on Bartram, right on Island, then left at the on-ramp to PA 291 NB "to I-76". Continue up Penrose; don't turn left onto 26th Street at the north end of the bridge.

The smallest bridge over the lower Schuylkill is the drawbridge that carries Passyunk Avenue over it. The route chessimprov described above takes you across it. I hadn't heard that bridge had been reconstructed; the Platt (opened in 1951, IIRC) was closed for about two years for a total rebuild.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:43 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookybean View Post
Thank you, I saw that route yesterday and tried to follow the street view on Google maps but kept getting off track. So industrial highway is not truly a highway, or anot entrance to 76....that's where I kept ending up on Google maps....

On second thought, does that bring you up past the cell phone lot?
Yes.

If you look at the map above, you will see a road labeled "Airport Recirculation Rd."

Prior to the construction of the new runway at the airport's east end (near Terminal F) that necessitated severing it, this road was the continuation of Penrose Avenue (PA 291), the street that crosses the Platt Bridge. It connected with the current bridge on- and off-ramps at the Island Avenue intersection.

The cell phone lot occupies what were once this street's northbound lanes.

Penrose Avenue in Philadelphia became Industrial Highway where it crossed into Delaware County. Remember that the airport's western end, including Terminal A West, lies in Tinicum Township.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:40 PM

2,501 posts, read 4,435,058 times
Penrose and Passyunk Aves, two of the ugliest ways to enter Philadelphia from the airport. But they do accomplish your goal of avoiding highways.

Old 08-25-2017, 02:13 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
By the way, if the "small bridge" you're talking about is the George C. Platt Memorial:

. . .

--there are ways to get on and off of it at its southern end that don't require using I-95.

Southbound, . . .

Northbound, . ..

The smallest bridge over the lower Schuylkill is the drawbridge that carries Passyunk Avenue . . ..
I think the ways to get onto 291 and avoid I-95 and I-76 can be quite tricky, especially if there's a lot of traffic around. But it is good to know all your options too.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:21 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,457,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookybean View Post
So, full disclosure....I hate highways.... serious anxiety attack when I try to drive on one. Not safe, right?

Anyway, I get along just fine a majority of the time. I find back roads and am able to get most places that I want to go in a reasonable amount of time. It may take a little longer, but we are safe and I am relaxed.

That being said....the airport is hard! A couple times I went on the road past the sports complex and over a small bridge (can't remember the name) and would park at one of the long term lots. Coming home was a challenge because if I was in the wrong lane...oops hello 95! Well they started doing construction on that bridge quite a few years ago so I stopped driving. Ive been lucky and can get a ride from a friend, uber, commuter rail or stay at the Holiday Inn Citizens Park (awesome park and fly deals) and it works out better for me than driving.

Now my mother wants to visit. Refuses to Uber or get on the train (even though i would pick her up at 30th st) because she gets nervous, wonder where I get it?????

So I need to find a new way to the airport, sans highways. Ive been googling different ideas from locations in south philly i am already comfortable with and they all want to dump me on 95 or 76 at some point, even if it is just to get right off despite choosing avoid highways. Any ideas? Please help!

ps.... I will already be in South Philly that morning around 20th and Penrose
Whatever you do, don't make a wrong turn and end up in Midgetville. You'll never be heard from again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: