Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:53 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

Portland of the east, hahahaha. Portland minus the smug maybe. Philly also has a growing artist and artisan community but, like all east coast cities, it less affordable (though much more so than NYC). Philly also has a growing contingent of NY expats. Honestly, I like both cities. Philly is much further along in revitalization of the core. While less blessed by terrain, it has more sunshine and it's moderate hills pose fewer challenges. Philly needs to clean up its crime (there's plenty of affordable housing) and lower its taxes while Pittsburgh needs reverse its population decline and prevent crime from increasing. Both are showing signs of revitalization, but also have structural financial problems that are formidable (pensions and aging infrastructure).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 02:32 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,754 times
Portland of the east? That's rich. I wonder if anyone saying such nonsense has ever been to Portland. The ridiculously liberal vibe in Portland is the polar opposite of the ridicuolously insular way of life in the 'burgh. Good luck to anyone who thinks the areas are equivalent on any level save maybe average humidity level LOL.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:07 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Portland of the east? That's rich. I wonder if anyone saying such nonsense has ever been to Portland. The ridiculously liberal vibe in Portland is the polar opposite of the ridicuolously insular way of life in the 'burgh. Good luck to anyone who thinks the areas are equivalent on any level save maybe average humidity level LOL.
Actually, I've always heard "seattle of the east." yes, in reference to weather. both are actually relatively well educated AFAIK, though Pittsburgh does suffer from social problems associated with population loss and little in the way of new blood.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:57 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,995 times
I've lived in Pittsburgh and am living in Philly. They are both different places. In terms of education, there are many more opportunities in Philly than Pittsburgh. There a trend of too much sarcasm and attitude in Philly (hence "it's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" good show btw), and Pittsburgh has a small town feel to it (sometimes too small.) If I can get a job in Pittsburgh, I think it can be a nice place to live. There's enough things to do and eat if you're not terribly picky.
I can't compare Philly to Portland or Seattle.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:04 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcc09 View Post
I currently live in NYC. Previously in PGH, and have a brother in Philly. Philly is certainly the larger and more metropolitan city. I personally would choose Pittsburgh over Philly though, and am in fact planning on moving back eventually. Pittsburgh is a more attractive city (physically) than Philly, and is more affordable for someone in the middle class. It also seems to be gaining quite a reputation amongst many in New York as the "Portland of the East". It is smallish, affordable, green, dense, and has a large/growing population of artists and artisans.
Very interesting post. I've recently visited both cities - Philly and Pitts, and loved both of them.

I did feel that Pittsburgh has more interesting options - i.e. rowhomes or hills or flat areas or on and on at all kinds of prices - low and high.

Seems like Philadelphia I'd have to be much more conscious/aware of where to live and moreso, where not to live. I loved the city center and south philly areas in Philly...although seems like if lived there, you'd be 'in the city' most of the time, and a bit more unlikely to get out of that area.

On the other hand, I love the density of CC/South Philly...so I could see myself living there and never really wanting to leave much - except for an occassional direct bus/train to Manhattan once every few months for a change of pace.

Whereas I can see if I lived in Pitts, I'd probably be all over the city all the time. It just seems to have more variety, variation, and a slight need as well to move around more.

--

Anyways, I'm more curious others' input, and hoping to hear more response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia