U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 09:46 AM

3 posts, read 11,752 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Downingtown?
We are moving from New Jersey because the taxes are outrageous and the schools are so overcrowded. We are from Center City but have been in NJ for 10 yrs. We have a 12, 10 and 6 yr olds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 03:06 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,677,578 times
I lived in Downingtown for a while.
It can be quasi-rural on the outskirts or 'small town'
in the Proper. But, the outskirts are getting HAMMERED
with McCondo development, now. The schools are good and
some of the older, established neighborhods are beautiful.
Very close to any kind of shopping you might desire.
There are parks and parades, fireworks etc on holidays.
Rt.30 that goes right through it is a nightmare from 7am to 6pm or so,
so count on a little extra stop and go to get into town. Avoid
The beginning blocks of the Mary / William St areas...A different
episode of COPS going on out of every window !!! Avoid any area
that has on-street parking because it gets wacked in the winter time
and you have to park your car blocks away for the plow. Septa
and Amtrak run right into Philly too...Very convenient.
Definately check it out !! Good luck

Last edited by KoZmiC NinJa; 04-09-2007 at 03:15 PM..

Old 04-09-2007, 05:27 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky021592 View Post
Can anyone tell me about Downingtown?
We are moving from New Jersey because the taxes are outrageous and the schools are so overcrowded. We are from Center City but have been in NJ for 10 yrs. We have a 12, 10 and 6 yr olds.
Kind of middle of the road town. Not as withered + aged as Norristown/Pottstown, but its no West Chester or Wayne I want to live here type town either. Middle of the road modest older town. If your expectations aren't grandiose you should be ok.

The surrounding hills are very nice and livable. Good schools. Not a bad location, its about as far west as I would want to live being a person who likes being relatively close to things. Exton,West Chester,King of Prussia, main Line all within a half hour.

Not a bad place to live.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:38 PM

19 posts, read 103,401 times
Taxes are rising rapidly here, too, but there are still some reasonable properties for sale. Nothing like N. Jersey, where I imagine it is pretty rough to find a decently priced home.

Old 04-10-2007, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 11,752 times
Thanks so much. We're still really undecided. Maybe even Media. I guess I should really visit too. Thanks again.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:59 PM

21 posts, read 38,360 times
Downingtown is such a big area that it really depends on what part of Downingtown you are considering. As for route 30 being busy ALL DAY its really just bad during rush hour. I am in Downingtown alot and travel rt 30 during the day and never have a problem unless its during rush hour.
The Downingtown schools are excellant schools as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia