U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 02:40 PM

29 posts, read 139,328 times

Advertisements

My family moved to Chester County, PA a month ago due to a job relo. We are currently renting in the Marsh Harbour area near Chester Springs. We love the countryside here and close promity to Exton, shopping, etc., but the prices are so high.

We keep getting lured down to West Bradford Twp because you get so much more for less. They're building a lot of McMansions down there so I have to believe it will turn around, but am I right to say that the area is kind of "borderline"? I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Local shopping is in Thorndale, which doesn't give me a 100% safe feeling.

Am I off base here, or is West Bradford an up and coming area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,678,096 times
If anything the McMansions are taking it down.
West Bradford was(10-15 years ago) a charming , established, quiet
little 'outskirts' area, semi rural but close to WC and Downingtown.
The development craze that has plagued Chester County didnt bypass
West Bradford. They got slapped too....There still are areas in WB that
are very nice. Yeah, Thorndale isnt that pleasant(ZzzZZboring) but
mostly only the areas that are in close proximity to Rt. 30 and Coatesville.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:26 PM

12,768 posts, read 28,914,075 times
We lived in West Bradford township about 15 years ago when our oldest child was in kindergarden. In fact she was in the first kindergarden class at West Bradford elementary. I agree with koxmic ninja ^ the mcMansions and developments ruined the township. From friends that still live in that area the schools are still good. I loved how close it was to West Chester too and learned all the back ways to get around.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:02 PM

18 posts, read 77,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
If anything the McMansions are taking it down.
West Bradford was(10-15 years ago) a charming , established, quiet
little 'outskirts' area, semi rural but close to WC and Downingtown.
The development craze that has plagued Chester County didnt bypass
West Bradford. They got slapped too....There still are areas in WB that
are very nice. Yeah, Thorndale isnt that pleasant(ZzzZZboring) but
mostly only the areas that are in close proximity to Rt. 30 and Coatesville.
How can developing Middle class family homes hurt an area, this only helps it. The more development , the more business, the more children the better your community will be. Families are what makes a coummunity great, makes schools better and real estate more expensive.

West Bradford is a great place with tremendous upside for real estate. Downingtown Schools, great area and business on rt 30 is just growing and growing.

I worked with a few companies that are moving to thorndale because thier studies have show that it will be the next main line.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:26 PM

1,134 posts, read 3,678,096 times
The Rt.30 'business' growth that is happening now didnt benefit
Camden, Delaware or N.E. Philly either. The mcMansioning / business
development of that area is now used in Urban Planning studies as an
example of sprawl gone wild. Have you had the pleasure of sitting in
business Rt.30 traffic on a friday afternoon ? How can you argue with
that ?? To even mention Thorndale and the Main Line in the same breath
is ludicris.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:21 PM

Yeah, it didn't work in Exton, West Chester or Downingtown either. Coatesville is an area like these three not Camden or North Philly.

Old 05-26-2007, 07:00 AM

35 posts, read 139,840 times
I would take Exton traffic over NJ's rt 287 traffic anyday!!

Old 05-27-2007, 06:52 AM

Agreed, It laughable to compare Exton and West Chester traffic to Jersey or Philly.

Its sad when backwards political agendas produce only negativity to sway people to its cause. When taking success and twisting it to scare people is deplorable. The communist agenda is to invade local groups and forums, acting like the common man, when thier only real goal is to make you think that thier ideals are mainstream.

The urban sprawl in chester county has built up exton and west chester and will do the same in Coatesville, Pottstown and all its surrounding areas. I'm sure 20 years ago people laughed when it was said that exton will become the next shopping mecha like King of Prussia and look at it today.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 5,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom Draper View Post
My family moved to Chester County, PA a month ago due to a job relo. We are currently renting in the Marsh Harbour area near Chester Springs. We love the countryside here and close promity to Exton, shopping, etc., but the prices are so high.

We keep getting lured down to West Bradford Twp because you get so much more for less. They're building a lot of McMansions down there so I have to believe it will turn around, but am I right to say that the area is kind of "borderline"? I'm not sure how else to describe it.

Local shopping is in Thorndale, which doesn't give me a 100% safe feeling.

Am I off base here, or is West Bradford an up and coming area?
You are way off base. I just moved to West bradford 4 months ago and I do not know what you mean by "borderline". Borderline what? The neighborhood I live in is working class so if you would like something more affordable you are going to have to share a neighborhood with other people that also need something more affordable. I personally do my quick stops for things in Thorndale. Food shop in Downingtown only because I love Wegman's and wasn't about to give it up just because I moved, and clothes shop in Exton. Does it bother you to think you would have to rub elbows with lower class people in Thorndale? I hope you found a happy medium by now, and it certainly never killed anyone to acknowledge and be forced to see that there are people a little less fortunate than them in their foodstores. Having less money doesn't make everyone "dangerous".

As far as the minimansions I laugh at them because my yard is way bigger than theirs anyway

Old 03-29-2013, 08:40 AM

1 posts, read 2,741 times
As you can see, you have stumbled into a subject on which people have many differing opinions. You will find a wide range of different types of people and income levels in this area. You will definitely get more for your money in housing here. You will be close to a lot of amenities (both urban like and rural). Traffic, yes but there are plenty of back roads to get to and from at "rush" hour. District schools are very good and if you want options, there is always Collegium Charter School, a great choice in public education (free, I might add). What you need to consider is whether it is important to you to live in an area (like the Main Line) that carries with it a certain image and to some people prestige. If you find West Bradford a beautiful place to live and you like the McMansions and you don't need to say "I live on the Main Line", then go for it. If you are always going to have the "it is borderline" taste in your mouth, then you may need to live somewhere else. From someone who has moved to many different areas of our country, let me say that you are asking the right questions. Now you need to answer them for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or