Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 04:50 PM

172 posts, read 843,606 times

Advertisements

This thread is a run off of the the thread "Why you should live in Philadelphia" but this thread compares Philadelphia to the other cities out there. Please leave a comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 08:15 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,316,881 times
Metro-Philadelphia as a whole, or Philadelphia city only? In Atlanta where I live, if someone asks your question it would be interpreted as the entire metro area (and then people would suggest where in the metro area would be best for them). In Philadelphia, it seems to be interpreted as referring to the city. Please clarify.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:15 AM

362 posts, read 774,808 times
why not just answer the question, regardless of what they're talking about. Just say what you'd like about both places. SHeesh

Old 05-27-2009, 11:56 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,676 times
i could name a few, but here's one to start with:

many people that grew up on the east coast have had the either the NYC/philly/boston/baltimore/DC or some other big city lifestyle shoved in their face via the media. and many people just want a taste of city living, whether it be for a year, few years, or the rest of their lives. i feel that philly is one of the easier big cities to live in. atleast comparing it to NYC. i grew up outside of NYC and wanted nothing more than to live there. but i ended up in philly because it was just more approachable in every way. it has everything that any urban urchant could want. its fairly affordable, larger than most people think. and it has crazy amounts of culture and history. try to deny that....you just can't. its definitely no NYC. but it doesnt have to be. its just a down right rad city. but i dont like their sports teams. sorry.

Old 05-27-2009, 12:45 PM

23 posts, read 35,976 times
Because I told you to.

Old 05-27-2009, 05:29 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,316,881 times
I have not lived in metro Philadelphia, but visited a few times. I am looking for a metro area with cost of living + opportunities generally comparable to one of the GA/TX sun-belt cities, but in a more interesting part of the country (close to other major cities, easy access to beach / mountains, ...). The Philadelphia metro area (and probably Baltimore to a lesser extent) would fit the bill. Hence my interest (and likely future move) in the Philly area.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:56 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times

eff bobby flay!

Old 05-28-2009, 06:30 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,715,998 times
Pretty good cost-of-living for a big city. You actually have fighting chance of getting a SFH in a good neighborhood without bumping $1 million. The local economy is fairly stable, and it doesn't seem to be all tied up in one particular industry so there's a decent variety of jobs available. You still have a lot of cultural opportunities to take advantage of, and if you really need a break it's an easy short trip to multiple cities, mountains, and the beach. I've met people from Texas who are amazed at all you can get to in less than 4 hours.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:12 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post

eff bobby flay!
Ha.

But a shout-out to Stephen Starr, Georges Perrier and other restauranteurs for putting Philly on the foodie map.

And don't forget the hoagies and cheesesteaks.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:31 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Ha.

But a shout-out to Stephen Starr, Georges Perrier and other restauranteurs for putting Philly on the foodie map.

And don't forget the hoagies and cheesesteaks.
yes, and we can add Jose Garces to that short list. he owns
Amada and just won the 09 James Beard award for best chef in the mid-atlantic. i think he also beat B. Flay in an iron chef challenge

he owns a few places in the city now: Distrito, Tinto, Chifa, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia