Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 12:21 PM

14 posts, read 33,559 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I am heading up to Philly with my family this summer and had a couple of questions. We are originally from PA, but haven't been back in over a decade and now are spread out across the U.S. (Ages 50-10)

I wanted to know what, if any, musesums are worth visiting beside Franklin Institute Science Museum and Philadelphia Museum of Art. Or maybe we would be set just seeing those two?

We plan on seeing the historical sites, going to a Phillies game, King of Prussia Mall and possibly going to Ocean City and the Reading Terminal Market.

If you have any other suggestions on food or places to go please let me know! We are there for 4 days and I cannot wait to stock up on TastyKakes

Thank you in advance for your responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 12:53 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
Quote:
I wanted to know what, if any, musesums are worth visiting beside Franklin Institute Science Museum and Philadelphia Museum of Art.
Rodin museum

Old 06-02-2009, 12:58 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
eastern state penitentiary is worth a tour and you may want to consider penn's archaelogical museum. the japanese tea house in west fairmount park. belmont plateau is a great place to have a picnic witha city view.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:00 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
i would definitely make time for reading terminal market over KoP mall ....... even though KoP is a really large, really nice mall - it's still just a mall and one that will require some car time to get to at that

Rodin museum is nice and when I was living there was just a donation - i believe that many of the museums still have some level of free admission on sundays as well

around the art museum/rodin museum area is also eastern state penitentiary which is an interesting/spooky landmark that can be enjoyed by all ages

pending how many kids you have and their interests the please touch museum could be interesting ...... it's an incredible place, but with the youngest kid being 10 you may have too many who are either too old or too cool for it

Old 06-02-2009, 01:13 PM

983 posts, read 2,772,988 times
I second the suggestion for Eastern State Penitentiary. That is one interesting (and creepy) place.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:26 PM

14 posts, read 33,559 times
haha trying to tell my 16 year old sister that the market would be better than a giant mall could be a challenge! I do agree though, a mall is a mall.

The suggestions are great, thank you! Eastern State Penitentiary would definately interest my brothers!

Old 06-02-2009, 01:48 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Don't forget the Academy of Natural Sciences!

Along the lines of Finger Laker, I'd perhaps set up a "girls" trip to the King of Prussia Mall and let the guys do their own thing for a day (assuming there aren't any fashion-conscious guys in your party).

Old 06-02-2009, 02:30 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Along the lines of Finger Laker, I'd perhaps set up a "girls" trip to the King of Prussia Mall and let the guys do their own thing for a day (assuming there aren't any fashion-conscious guys in your party).
Drop them off at the Mutter Museum (medical oddities), drive up to KoP, and come meet back up with them for dinner.

Old 06-02-2009, 02:34 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Don't forget the Academy of Natural Sciences!

that's not a bad idea - i'm obviously slanted with my guys perspective

sometimes it works out well to release and meet

the mutter is a creepy place, but unique and interesting in a really weird way

there are plenty of "guy spots" in the city where they could entertain themselves

the girls could shop, get a mani/pedi and then be refreshed for the evening

Old 06-02-2009, 06:06 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
The Constitution Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia