Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 08:40 PM

8 posts, read 14,722 times

Advertisements

Thanks Chessimprov but I found a wonderful place in Mt Airy in a Post-CRE building which allows my dog and all three cats...... it's a bit pricey but most definitely worth it! The management has been very helpful and always available. My dog is treated like the king he believes he is. There a fenced area available for him to run. All the apartments are newly renovated and beautiful!
Everything I need is within 10 miles of me (or 3 hours with traffic!)
When I was looking I really didn't have much trouble finding pet friendly places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:46 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,192 times
Congrats Plumb! Mt. Airy is nice too, though further out. What is there that's artsy in/near Mt. Airy? You should also check out the bookstore Walk A Crooked Mile. Something for pretty much anyone!

Old 08-09-2009, 09:00 PM

Living in Maine I had to drive an hour for most anything. here I feel like I could walk to most of my needs.
Just looking around the area I see some wonderful architecture that I enjoy sketching. The gardens are beautiful. It's peaceful. I'm on Lincoln Dr....... I do have to admit, the creek is really muddy compared to what I'm used to seeing and Lincoln Dr keeps getting closed due to the rising creek with the rain. Can't wait to see what it's like in winter compared to Maine!

Old 08-09-2009, 09:23 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
"Can't wait to see what it's like in winter compared to Maine!"
It'll probably be jacket weather for you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumbTuckeredOut View Post
Living in Maine I had to drive an hour for most anything. here I feel like I could walk to most of my needs.
Just looking around the area I see some wonderful architecture that I enjoy sketching. The gardens are beautiful. It's peaceful. I'm on Lincoln Dr....... I do have to admit, the creek is really muddy compared to what I'm used to seeing and Lincoln Dr keeps getting closed due to the rising creek with the rain. Can't wait to see what it's like in winter compared to Maine!

Old 08-09-2009, 11:40 PM

Plumb, head to Valley Green, and Shofuso along with the Horticultural Center for more beauty.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:42 PM

4 posts, read 6,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlumbTuckeredOut View Post
Well, I've been here for a bit more than a month now....... I ended up in Mt Airy and I LOVE it! It's the perfect area for me. People are really friendly and helpful and my dog has loads of places to walk which aren't all city-scapes.
I'm close to Center City for appointments but I tend to head to Plymouth Meeting for shopping as it's much less expensive than the city!
SEPTA has me all confuzzled but I'm working on it. I went to the Art Museum today and enjoyed it immensely. I'm glad I joined as a member because I could go everyday!
What a great city!
Thank you for a reply to these qustions, I greatly apreciate any help I can get (I have a 50 lb dog and a cat)

What would be an average cost of rent for a 1 bedroom in Mt. Airy?
What is the length of travel to Congress St in Philli from Mt. Airy?

Old 08-14-2009, 05:57 PM

I'm in a higher end luxury apartment building. The rent is $1195/month but I'm sure there are places in the area renting for lower. The initial deposit included an extra $200 per pet. I have one 52 lb dog and three cats.
I have no idea about commute time. I don't know where Congress Street is but there is a train stop just a block from me. When I drive into Center City it takes me about 30 minutes....... in Maine the same commute would take 5 minutes but in Philly there is this thing called "traffic" which leaves me pulling my heair out!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:52 PM

I think you did good for a pet friendly apartment Plumb! Good luck in your new place!

Old 08-17-2009, 07:59 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,529,863 times
Quote:
Can't wait to see what it's like in winter compared to Maine!
you'll definitely find it mild. it only really gets cold mid november or so....
having lived in northeast CT, i rememember it being cold by the 1st week of October. Halloween.....fogettaboutit!

Old 08-17-2009, 01:44 PM

Default Really cold?

I guess it all depends on how you define "really cold". I grew up in Providence, RI and it was never quite cold enough for me!
In Maine I wouldn't get out the winter gear until it would hit 10 degrees F. Any warmer a jacket would do just fine.
I volunteered with dog sled teams and often I would be standing in the middle of a frozen lake for hours on end with the thermometer at 30 below and then add in the wind chill!
I'm not minding the heat here too much since most places are air conditioned but most early mornings I am out riding horses. That makes for some sweaty, dirty clothes and strange looks when I stop in for some food on the way home from the barn!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia