Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 07:23 AM

7,124 posts, read 12,665,237 times

Advertisements

Just got back from our PA trip in the Phila. area. Had a marvelous time!!

We stayed in Delaware and Lancaster County in B & B's and had a great time. Delaware County is gorgeous! Rented bikes in Valley Forge and toured the park...rich with history and rolling country...wonderful downhill rides, along with some huff and puff uphills. Washington's headquarters was fascinating, with its several rooms filled with clothing and furnishings the way it was during his time there...

Loved the Brandywine River Museum and the side trip to Andrew Wyeth's home and studio...a gem of a museum with spectacular grounds.

Longwood Gardens--wish I could live there! We had some rain while there and strolling the pathways under the giant trees and flowering dogwoods with the gentle rain falling was tres romantic..then there were the impressive fountains, the whimsical topiary gardens, the tree houses, and the endless conservatories with their separate habitats and the magical children's section which turns one into a child again...all I can say is go, go, go to Longwood...

With the rain stronger the next few days, we went to Winterthur, just across the state line in Delaware and it, too, was amazing...a complete course in the American decorative arts...and we would have loved to experience the pretty grounds but it had turned quite chilly and with the hard rain, we stayed inside. A great orientation tour was given...we had a great dinner at the venerable Buckley Tavern in Centerville DE,...good food and great people-watching...the locally-brewed Lancaster beer was wonderful...

Lancaster County was pretty touristy on the main roads around Lancaster, but detouring off on the side roads was so pretty...the rolling land, the tidy farms and everywhere, the Amish in their buggies with their beautiful trotting horses and on their bicycle- like scooters...Strasburg was a sweet little town and the ice cream at the shop there was exceptional...just strolling the streets and visiting the shops and seeing the well-preserved homes along the main street made for a nice day...we passed on the train ride but many were enjoying that...

Our stay at a B&B on an Amish Turkey Farm gave us a great peek into the Amish way of life...you just haven't lived until you've seen the full moon rise over the fields and pastures to the tune of gobble, gobble...

Anyhow, I could go on, but we had a wonderful time, found PA gorgeous, though much more developed than my childhood years there, and we didn't even encounter very many of those drivers that the signs warned us of "Watch out for Aggressive Drivers."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 09:23 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
Lancaster is a beautiful area!! Glad you guys had fun

Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 AM

983 posts, read 2,773,888 times
Wow - that sounds like a fantastic vacation! I agree with you about Longwood Gardens. I always think "I wish I could live here" whenever I visit.

Glad you had such a great trip.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:18 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Sounds like a great trip but Longwood Gardens and Valley Forge are in Chester County! Maybe the B & B was in Delaware county?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia