Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 01:02 PM

33 posts, read 197,983 times

Advertisements

A friend had suggessted we look in Boyertown as I place for us to move our family. I have seen the website and it looks like a very nice place. Can anyone please give me any further information they might have on this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2007, 09:03 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcovph View Post
A friend had suggessted we look in Boyertown as I place for us to move our family. I have seen the website and it looks like a very nice place. Can anyone please give me any further information they might have on this area.
Boyertown is a suburban community about 5 miles north of Pottstown, 20 miles east of Reading and 45 miles NW of Philadelphia. Due to substantial urban sprawl in the area, the Boyertown area (including the neighboring town of Gilbertsville) has gradually shifted from a working class/farming community to a much more solid middle/upper-middle class presence. Great school district. TONS of shopping all within a half an hour. If have any more specific questions, I'll be happy to answer! :-)

Old 04-13-2007, 06:32 AM

33 posts, read 197,983 times
Default duderino thanks

Thank you so much for answering. Is it very rural still? How is the downtown? It looks very quaint and inviting on the web site? I know the schools are good I looked them up so I'm happy about that. I looked on some real estate sites there doesn't seem to be very much on the market? We are coming from a town of 20,000 people! I'm concerned if there is activites there that my children are use to here, dance, gymnastics, tennis, horseback riding...Also is there anything to stay away from? I know it's alot of questions but any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcovph View Post
Thank you so much for answering. Is it very rural still? How is the downtown? It looks very quaint and inviting on the web site? I know the schools are good I looked them up so I'm happy about that. I looked on some real estate sites there doesn't seem to be very much on the market? We are coming from a town of 20,000 people! I'm concerned if there is activites there that my children are use to here, dance, gymnastics, tennis, horseback riding...Also is there anything to stay away from? I know it's alot of questions but any help would be appreciated.
It's no problem at all. The area outside of Boyertown still rather rural. It's definitely becoming less so, however, as developments continue to be built. There's been talk of building a second high school in the district for some time now, so that should give you an idea about how much it's growing. With regard to real estate, I would think there are a number of options. Sometime it's hard to find good listings over the internet. Here's a couple sites that might be helpful:

http://www.boyertownpennsylvania.com/real-estate/index.html (broken link)

http://local.infospace.com/insp.bylocation/local/byloc/PA/Boyertown/Real_Estate/Real_Estate_Agents (broken link)

Regarding activities for children, you'd find all of what you mentioned and more. The only thing I'd warn you about in B-town is that some of the people, mostly the older people, can act a little standoffish and closed-minded. This is pretty common in most smaller towns, but on the bright side, I'd say the attitudes are starting to change as the demographics of area do.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:56 PM

31 posts, read 139,142 times
Default Rcovph

We moved to Boyertown in 2001 and the comment about people being standoffish, or however you want to call it, is true. We really tried, and believe me are still trying, to know people, so far little success.

Old 04-13-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
We moved to Boyertown in 2001 and the comment about people being standoffish, or however you want to call it, is true. We really tried, and believe me are still trying, to know people, so far little success.
I'm sorry to hear that. Boyertown is a very close-knit community, which is great if you're already in that community -- but it can definitely be tough for newcomers to break in. Just being friendly to the townspeople and going to social functions can go along way, though.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 16,607 times
As a former B-town resident (and graduate) I can tell you it is hard for newcomers-especially kids. There aren't many people even teachers that made me feel welcome. It's a community made by and for life-long residents. Yes, it's quaint and charming. It's also politically backward with racial attitudes that follow that line of thought. When I was in school (and I graduated 8 years ago so it's not that long ago) there was one african-american student. One. If you are a "joiner" there are some groups that are easy to become friends with- if you're a man. Otherwise its the PTA or nothing. Baseball is king (once again for men. Softball is not the same thing there, but cheerleading is activley encouraged). I also don't agree with the assessment of Boyertown schools as being great. the education there is getting less and less involved with the outside world. They are weeding out field trips as fast as they can and don't seek to help students who learn in different ways. They have some great art and music programs but from what I hear from relatives and friends who are teachers there those are seeming to go away too.
That said-I am not a Boyertown hater. There are some great things there, you just have to look for them.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:19 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,138,384 times
As far as proximities to other communities it's ok, but the town itself has a noted reputation for being racist. I have heard numerous allegations about people in the town being in the Klan. I have no proof but there has to be reason for these allegations.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
As far as proximities to other communities it's ok, but the town itself has a noted reputation for being racist. I have heard numerous allegations about people in the town being in the Klan. I have no proof but there has to be reason for these allegations.
Berks County in general, which is the unofficial capital of PA Dutch Country, has this reputation because of the stodgy and parochial attitudes towards anything other than the local culture -- which caused some towns in BC to become unfortunate targets of Aryan Nations/KKK activity. However, in the recent past there's been a "No Place for Hate" campaign sponsored by the NAACP in B-town and the development of a "unity coalition" to counter this. Although far from utopia, I don't think the area is nearly bad as it used to be and getting better as more outsiders continue to move into the area.

Last edited by Duderino; 07-23-2008 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-24-2008, 01:07 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Berks County in general, which is the unofficial capital of PA Dutch Country
And Lancaster County is the official capital of PA Dutch Country. Lots of German heritage between Philly, Lancaster and the Lehigh Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania