Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 40,383 times

Advertisements

Hi all, have been lurking for a while, and finally got the courage up to start a thread with what our family is looking for regarding our relocation to Philadelphia.

Here we go! We are a family of 4. A married couple with two children 8 and 14. Daughter entering 3rd grade in fall, son entering 8th grade.

We have been living in Warren Twp. NJ, for the past 5 years, and prior to that, Downtown Chicago, Lincolnshire (a suburb of Chicago), Coral Gables (Miami). I am originally from Ann Arbor Michigan, and am alway in search of a town that resembles the place I grew up. I have had a difficult time adjusting to New Jersey- I am pretty laid back and am often stunned by the aggressive and angry drivers around here. We have never really "fit in" here in Warren, it's a very conservative community, with a large majority of Catholic Church goers as well as a nice sized Jewish community. We don't practice any religion. Additionally, we were one of the few families in our town who supported Obama. I would imagine this is because Warren is a "upper class" town. My son's peers in Middle School were shocked and disgusted by our families political views.

My husband has started a new job downtown Philadelphia, located by Love Park.

Here is my wish list!

1. Children oriented, sidewalks and ability to walk/bike to other homes.
2. Good Schools
3. prefer liberal, cultural area -avoid snob/preppy areas
4. Avoid isolated and rural areas
5. Easy Commute - Proximity to train important for husband
6. Getting to a grocery store, a health club easily is important to me.
7. Home price in the 500k range.
8. Home size not particularly important, though I would love four bedrooms.
9. Neither of us is handy, so not in love with the idea of a fixer upper.

Suggestions that have been made by co-workers at my husband's new job have been West Chester, Media, New Town Square, Cherry Hill, Blue Bell, and Chestnut Hill. Others have said these areas are too expensive (particularly Media and New Town Square).

Thank you for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 07:13 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,516,182 times
I am very familiar with Warren, NJ, having worked and lived up that way. Coincidentally, I will be in Ann Arbor on business Sunday and Monday. Frankly, easy commute to Philly means South Jersey - Cherry Hill, Voorhees, Haddonfield, Moorestown, Mount Laurel, Marlton are prime areas to consider with train access. 500K will not get you a ton of house in terms of a 4 bedroom in these locations - especially Haddonfield and Moorestown - but you can probably find a deal. My neighbor is selling his 4 bedroom, 1.5 bath, 1,600 square foot home in Moorestown for $540K. If you want info PM me. It is in a great location. Media, etc is not expensive BTW, take your advice with a grain of salt.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:41 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,711,000 times
Add Jenkintown to your list - very easy commute to CC (25 minutes via 3 train lines), walkable community, shopping (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Acme) nearby. There are a lot of older homes in the area, but $500K ought to find you a nice place.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:03 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,952 times
Definitely check out Swarthmore/Wallingford (esp Garden City for price)/Nether Providence for a liberal, cultured, friendly, hometown feel that is very welcoming. Media right next door has the walkable downtown with bars, restaurants and Trader Joe's. Wallingford-Swarthmore schools are some of the best in the area and the parents are known for being involved to a great extent - really just a great place to live with great people!

If those areas don't cut it pricewise, also check out nearby Springfield and Havertown especially.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:47 AM

983 posts, read 2,773,201 times
Cherry Hill, NJ meets every item on your list. I sent you a PM.

Old 06-12-2009, 05:25 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Moody, You might save yourself some trouble if you tell us if you are agreeable to staying in NJ or have decided you want to move to PA and will not be looking in NJ at all.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:51 AM

9 posts, read 38,265 times
I agree with orrmobl that Swarthmore/Wallingford sounds right up your alley.

You will certainly find houses in that area for over $500,000; but, I don't think it will be particularly difficult to find a house anywhere in Delco for that ammount of money.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:11 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,349 times
Maybe check out the Harleysville/Lansdale/Souderton areas as well. Good luck with your search.

Old 06-12-2009, 08:21 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,210,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Media, etc is not expensive BTW, take your advice with a grain of salt.
Keep in mind Media is a planned town(0.8 sq mi )thats 150 y.o..The advice was most likely referring to the surrounding Media area(100 sq mi) e.g. Upper Providence,Nether Providence,Rose Valley, Edgmont,Middlletown Township,Newtown Township,Glen Mills etc..But you wouldnt know anything about these areas would you?

By the criteria given by Moody the Media/Swarthmore/Nether Providence/Upper Providence area would be a good area to research.

I would add that there are some Main Line towns that are more politically and socially diverse. Narberth,Ardmore,Wynnewood and Wayne come to mind.

Good luck.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:35 AM

144 posts, read 460,740 times
The East Falls, Chestnut Hill, and Mt. Airy parts of Philadelphia would fit your description as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia