Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 04:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,957 times

Advertisements

Our family will be moving to the Philly suburbs because of job relocation this summer. Our initial attempts at finding rental homes in the Radnor township area have been futile. We are now considering the TE school district which is a better but farther from my husband's job in Temple University in North Philadelphia. He is willing to commute as long as we can send our kids to good public schools ( middle and elementary). I would like to ask how is the commute from Berwyn to Temple University. Anyone doing this on a daily routine..your input will be much appreciated. Suggestions are also welcome. Thanks.

Last edited by movingwithkids; 06-17-2009 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: wrong titile
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 09:24 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,639 times
SEPTA

50 minutes on the R5. Have you considered other districts like Lower Merion, Central Bucks, Lower Moreland, Upper Dublin, Rose Tree Media, Wallingford Swarthmore? Don't forget T/E covers Wayne/Strafford and Devon too.

Might give you more places to choose from. Good luck!

Old 06-17-2009, 09:36 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,215,138 times
Take the train. The R- 5 will take you right to Temple via a transfer at Broad St.

There really is no easy commute from Berwyn to Temple. If you had to commute by car I would consider Montgomery Ave thru Lower Merion to Belmont Ave into Center City. Depending on your hours if its off peak you could take 76(Schuylkill Expressway) into Center City but I would avoid it at rush hour.

SEPTA

Old 06-18-2009, 09:48 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Take the train. The R- 5 will take you right to Temple via a transfer at Broad St.

There really is no easy commute from Berwyn to Temple. If you had to commute by car I would consider Montgomery Ave thru Lower Merion to Belmont Ave into Center City. Depending on your hours if its off peak you could take 76(Schuylkill Expressway) into Center City but I would avoid it at rush hour.

SEPTA
By car it's going to be hell, get used to it. Have you tried some of the northern suburbs? Particularly Abington township but also, Cheltenham, Springfield (Montgomry County), Plymouth Whitemarsh? All excellent school districts. Actually you have to look long and hard to find bad schools in the philly suburbs.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:00 AM

50 posts, read 155,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
By car it's going to be hell, get used to it. Have you tried some of the northern suburbs? Particularly Abington township but also, Cheltenham, Springfield (Montgomry County), Plymouth Whitemarsh? All excellent school districts. Actually you have to look long and hard to find bad schools in the philly suburbs.

This. Or even Ambler or Blue Bell since Wissahickon is another good school district.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zionrug View Post
This. Or even Ambler or Blue Bell since Wissahickon is another good school district.
Yes via 309 to Broad St.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:22 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,819,013 times
the northern suburbs, such as jenkintown, might be a better fit. It's maybe 20 minutes by train to temple from jenkintown. while TE may be the best district, there are a number of good districts in the area and the difference between the best and good isn't that great...and either way they still aren't receiving the equivalent of a high quality private education.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 AM

50 posts, read 155,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
either way they still aren't receiving the equivalent of a high quality private education.

Private schools are slightly overrated.I attended a highly regarded single sex private school on the Main Line and the majority of my peers are either floundering at financial advisor jobs or working at Vanguard for 35K a year.Plenty are working for their parents.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Private schools are slightly overrated.I attended a highly regarded single sex private school on the Main Line and the majority of my peers are either floundering at financial advisor jobs or working at Vanguard for 35K a year.Plenty are working for their parents.
I agree. I went to an expensive private school until 6th grade before transfering to a well regarded public suburban school district. IMO the public school had much more to offer. Only in Philadelphia where there is really no choice does one have to resort to private schools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
the northern suburbs, such as jenkintown, might be a better fit
Jenkintown schools do have an excellent reputation but imo you are better off in a larger district like Abington which has more resorces. Jenkintown, like a private school, is just too small to offer all the opportunities of a larger district.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:51 AM

274 posts, read 1,401,003 times
Quote:
Private schools are slightly overrated...Plenty are working for their parents.
Maybe that was the plan all along! Either way, didn't much matter what school they went to then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia