U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 06:57 PM

10 posts, read 26,197 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all your help. Would appreciate any more suggestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 03:01 PM

1,684 posts, read 2,996,956 times
Another thing to consider in the overall picture is the Phila Wage Tax. If you're working in Phila, you're going to pay it anyway, though it's less as a non-resident. Your spouse would be responsible for a Phila wage tax if you reside in Phila. There is reciprocity between NJ and PA when it comes to wage taxes, so there may be some credits.

Old 06-26-2009, 01:06 PM

324 posts, read 1,126,052 times
Here is something to consider:

Port Richmond is about 10 minutes from Center City Philadelphia - in the mornings, southbound traffic can be backed up on I-95 for 8-10 miles approaching the city taking 45-60 minutes to get in to town. Being as though the exit for Port Richmond (Allegheny Ave.) is the exit before the congestion eases, you will be sitting in most of the traffic for your commute if you live north of the city. There aren't too many alternates without knowing the side roads fairly well...

This coupled with the future work PennDOT is planning on I-95's newest stage of construction (it has just started @ Cottman Ave/PA 73) will make your commute rough.

Heading north in the morning is the way to go (although from Newtown/Yardley to NJ it can be backed up for anyone heading towards Princeton) to avoid most of the traffic you would see on the opposite side of the roadway.

If you want to live in the city, that's great but the lower property taxes and less than stellar schools come with a 4.28% wage tax (at least that was the rate I paid when I last lived there). Living in areas of Bucks county or New Jersey with decent schools will cost you higher property taxes. I'd stay away from Croyden, Andalusia, Bristol, most of Levittown, some of Penndel and Morristown...I'd look in Langhorne, Falls Township, Newtown, Yardley, Northampton Township or Holland if you are set on Bucks county.

In Jersey, there are some nice areas too and you can hit Port Richmond from the Betsy Ross Bridge hitting the side streets (Richmond St namely). Some of these areas are Marlton, Cherry Hill, Mount Laurel, Haddonfield, Maple Shade, Moorestown - these are all fairly close to the area where you can pick up I-295 towards Trenton/Princeton and head across the river to Philly to Port Richmond.

Last edited by phlydude; 06-26-2009 at 01:46 PM..

Old 06-28-2009, 10:09 PM

10 posts, read 26,197 times
Thank you Phlydude and BarryK123. The wage tax in Philadelphia is the most discouraging aspect of living there but we still want to live in the city for the first year and then move. We're bending towards Old City, any suggestions on that? Also, if anyone could recommend movers & packers from NorthJersey to Philly

Old 06-30-2009, 06:23 AM

1,983 posts, read 6,843,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk303 View Post
Hi! My husband works in Princeton,NJ and I just got a job In Philadelphia (near Port Richmond area). We want to live in young & safe neighbourhood which would be about 30-35 mins drive for my husband and 15-20 mins for me.
A good location is our priority. Please advise.
You can look in Bucks County as others have advised but under no circumstances live in PA farther south than Bucks County. Your best and easiest commute is along the I-295 corridor in South Jersey - Burlington County specifically. Moorestown, Mount Laurel, Marlton, Voorhees and parts of Cherry Hill convenient to 295 are your best bet. Drive around Bucks and Burlington Counties and decide what feels best. They are similar in feel, both have farms, horse farms, open space but Burlington has many more amenities and more vibrancy being closer to Philly. Bucks also has more air traffic and corporate jets going to Philly, NYC and Mercer County airport. I often go to Princeton to visit clients, it is a very easy drive.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 06-30-2009 at 06:35 AM..

Old 03-21-2011, 07:24 PM

640 posts, read 1,122,365 times
Far Northeast and Lower bucks are your best bet

Old 03-21-2011, 07:35 PM

22,381 posts, read 33,159,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Try Newtown, Lower Makefield or Yardley, all in Bucks County. The commute time may be reversed for the two of you, but these are great areas in which to live.

second

Old 03-21-2011, 07:37 PM

22,381 posts, read 33,159,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
how about off 295 in jersey? somewhere in burlington county maybe?

mt laurel or bordentown...i'm not sure how young and hip the folks are though..

another alternative, the OP may want to post in Suburbs of Philly section of the NJ forum for additional potential recs

Old 03-21-2011, 08:15 PM

2,913 posts, read 4,726,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
Far Northeast and Lower bucks are your best bet
Ummmm, this thread is almost 2 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or