Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:34 AM

10 posts, read 28,735 times

Advertisements

Hi! My husband works in Princeton,NJ and I just got a job In Philadelphia (near Port Richmond area). We want to live in young & safe neighbourhood which would be about 30-35 mins drive for my husband and 15-20 mins for me.
A good location is our priority. Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 07:40 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk303 View Post
Hi! My husband works in Princeton,NJ and I just got a job In Philadelphia (near Port Richmond area). We want to live in young & safe neighbourhood which would be about 30-35 mins drive for my husband and 15-20 mins for me.
A good location is our priority. Please advise.
Try Newtown, Lower Makefield or Yardley, all in Bucks County. The commute time may be reversed for the two of you, but these are great areas in which to live.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 6,013 times
I agree with Sunil's Dad. I am not sure of your situation but Newtown would be the best area. It is expensive but the school district is good, it's safe and is close to both Philly and Princeton.
I'm not sure what is available on the other side of the river but PA taxes and insurance are lower if that is any concern.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:10 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
We moved to Yardley about a year ago and so far love it. It's easy to get to Princeton, and the train is in Yardley if your husband would prefer that over driving.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:35 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. Newton and Yardley are more than 20 mins commute for me. Do you know of towns closer to Philly are? How is Croydon?

Old 06-21-2009, 05:39 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,299,085 times
You don't want to be in Croydon.

I agree with the above posters that Newtown and Yardley are the best choices. If you really want to get closer to Phila, parts of Bensalem aren't too bad.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:29 PM

Thanks BarryK123, appreciate the insights. a few follow-up questions for anyone who can help:
1) What do you think of the Northern Liberties neighborhood?
2) Does it make sense to stay in Northern Liberties - given its proximity to the Old City area (we have old City is a GREAT place to live)?
3) We may end up having two cars to park every evening - so parking -cost and time - are important considerations.
4) Whats the best guess for commuting time from Northern Liberties/Old town to Princeton (Google says 60 mins.)?

Many thanks for your time in advance, I really appreciate your help.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:07 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nk303 View Post
Thanks BarryK123, appreciate the insights. a few follow-up questions for anyone who can help:
1) What do you think of the Northern Liberties neighborhood?
2) Does it make sense to stay in Northern Liberties - given its proximity to the Old City area (we have old City is a GREAT place to live)?
3) We may end up having two cars to park every evening - so parking -cost and time - are important considerations.
4) Whats the best guess for commuting time from Northern Liberties/Old town to Princeton (Google says 60 mins.)?

Many thanks for your time in advance, I really appreciate your help.
Northern Liberties has been "up and coming" for awhile. The commercial development on Girard Avenue of late has helped, but it's still a work in progress residentially...and in terms of safety. It's still not a neighborhood one can feel good about walking around in after dark. The neighborhood is frequently targeted for break-ins, both homes and autos.

If you're able, look in Old City. There are some more affordable options in Old City now versus the past few years, as prices are falling...especially in the overbuilt condo market. The area north of the Ben Franklin Bridge and south of Callowhill has some good options and is quieter/less commercial than the area further south.

I think Google is factoring the worst-case-scenario commute (or driving to the center of Princeton) as I have regularly made the equidistant drive to New Hope (which is two lane road about a third of the way) in about 45 minutes. Also it depends upon where in Princeton your husband is working...many of the corporate office parks and the like are on the south side of Princeton closer to Philadelphia.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:33 AM

96 posts, read 360,616 times
Given the choice, I'd rather be in Northern Liberties than Old City, for cost per square foot reasons, new, well designed, green housing stock, better shopping and restaurants, as well my personal opinion that hipsters are less annoying than the crowd in Old City on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday night.

That said, is it even possible to get from NoLibs to Princeton in 35 minutes? If you want an artsy, walkable Northern Liberties/city atmosphere, you won't like most of Bucks County. I'm just not sure that there is any place like that smack in between Philly and Princeton that would satisfy both your and your husband's commute time requirements.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
how about off 295 in jersey? somewhere in burlington county maybe?

mt laurel or bordentown...i'm not sure how young and hip the folks are though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia