U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 05:14 PM

11 posts, read 29,325 times

Advertisements

Hello !
Just recently moved here from the Charlotte/Concord area of North Carolina.
My wife accepted a job here, I was going to transfer with the company I was with (grocery field)...but they blocked it.
As her job started in 2 weeks...seemed like a good time for a notice lol
We had visited and scouted the Collegeville, Downingtown, and K of P areas, in addition to Oaks...we were pretty impressed. We have 4 children, and the educational system looks to be much better than in Carolina.
We found a reasonably priced 6 br house to rent, in a great neighborhood. Plenty of room for the children.
I have interviewed with a grocery store chain opening a new store in Collegeville...very promising, but prob gonna be another month before they are ready for me.
So I have been looking for somewhere to work, at least part time...yet with all of these grocery stores everyone seems to be on a 'hiring freeze' O_o

Oh boy......

Anyways, I am a Cincinnati native, parents moved when I was 8, and I have long wanted to move back to this area of the US.
We really enjoy it here...

Just need to figure out the employment thing :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 03:36 PM

1,224 posts, read 3,629,172 times
Good luck with your job hunting!

As a person currently living in Atlanta (which like Charlotte is part of the supposedly booming South) and hoping to relocate to the Philly area -- I would be interested to know if you had a tough decision making process, or you bolted when you got a chance to leave! Hope you are having a good experience there.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:05 AM

11 posts, read 29,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Good luck with your job hunting!

As a person currently living in Atlanta (which like Charlotte is part of the supposedly booming South) and hoping to relocate to the Philly area -- I would be interested to know if you had a tough decision making process, or you bolted when you got a chance to leave! Hope you are having a good experience there.
We are having a very good experience here!
The kids love it, Phoenixville is nice, the people here have been terrific.
I told my wife years ago that I thought southern hospitality was an urban legend lol

On one hand, it was difficult to make the decision to move. We didn't have much holding us to the Charlotte area, the biggest concern was that the children would have to start over. Fortunately they are still pretty young, so that wasn't much of an issue...and they were very excited about the change.

On the other hand, we had just about all we could take from the Carolinas. I can't really nail it down to just one thing, but I was never really happy there. Yes, I would have to say once the finances were in place and she had gained employment...then we found the house, yeah we pretty much bolted

There are lots of people in the area I moved from that are from the area I moved TO. So while it would seem that we did things a bit backwards...I would like to point out that I spoke to several NY/NJ/OH/PA former residents that had moved to NC. Most of them told me that given the chance, they would move back home.

If you are looking to relocate here, I would recommend scouting the areas you are interested in. I think it was an 11 hour drive to here from Concord...we took closer to 13 because of constant rest stops. Flying is always an option, but I am a bit of a road warrior lol
The motels here are a lot less expensive than what we were used to, and gas is still at a reasonable rate, so the trip(s) here weren't that expensive. Just driving around King of Prussia, Collegeville, Phoenixville, and Oaks sold me on the decision to move here.
Cost of living is roughly 15% higher than Charlotte...but taxes and groceries are considerably cheaper. The people are much nicer, and the jobs here seem to be much more stable. (That's why there are hardly any openings...everyone is keeping their jobs )

I hope this helps...and please keep us up to date on your status. I am eager to know what you decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia