U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-21-2009, 07:49 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,010 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My girlfriend is going to be attending University of Pennsylvania, and I have decided to move from Maryland to an area closer to the school. Since I've only been to Philadelphia a total of 3 times, I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.

Can anyone give me any pointers about where I should look for housing? It doesn't necessarily have to be inside the city as long as the commute is easy, and since it would just be us girls living there we would of course prefer somewhere safe. I realize that nice suburbs are probably the way to go, but since neither she nor I are made of money we're looking for something more affordable.

Is there anywhere that meets all those demands or am I SOL?:/


Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-21-2009, 08:09 PM
 
101 posts, read 353,244 times
Reputation: 35
why not stay in west phila / university city. tons of nice housing in safe neighborhoods, if you are not familiar with the city look between spruce st. and baltimore ave. from PENN out to about 47th st.

if you want the suburbs, check out ardmore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2009, 05:32 AM
 
Location: Sanford, FL
596 posts, read 1,547,637 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktonastick View Post
My girlfriend is going to be attending University of Pennsylvania, and I have decided to move from Maryland to an area closer to the school. Since I've only been to Philadelphia a total of 3 times, I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.

Can anyone give me any pointers about where I should look for housing? It doesn't necessarily have to be inside the city as long as the commute is easy, and since it would just be us girls living there we would of course prefer somewhere safe. I realize that nice suburbs are probably the way to go, but since neither she nor I are made of money we're looking for something more affordable.

Is there anywhere that meets all those demands or am I SOL?:/


Thanks for the help!
West Philadelphia/University City is not "safe", and even if you find a good block to live on, there is still the matter of going through blocks that aren't on a daily basis. Which would explain the overall affordability in the area. Of course not everyone gets mugged, but if you're coming from a non-urban area to live here, you won't ever feel comfortable.

Take a look at some neighborhoods near SEPTA Route 101 or Route 102 in Delaware County, just past the Philadelphia line. They offer an easy commute to the 69th Street Station, followed by a quick subway ride to Penn's campus or downtown Philly.
http://www.septa.org/service/sched/pdfs/101.pdf
http://www.septa.org/service/sched/pdfs/102.pdf

I wasn't sure if you were looking to share a one bedroom or two bedroom, but included one bedroom options if that were the case.

Drexel Hill in particular would be a good option.
Lovely one bedroom in Drexel Hill (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1229597870.html - broken link)
One Bedroom apt for Rent (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1214698919.html - broken link)

Lansdowne is nice also.
REDUCED!!! Airy 1 BR in Charming Victorian (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1231056440.html - broken link)
Historic Victorian 1st Flr LR DR Enclosed Porch Utilities Included (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1227927300.html - broken link)
ALL UTILITIES INCLUDED-plus washer dryer- great space (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1216108111.html - broken link)

Welcome to the area and good luck! There are a lot of options, with some investigating you'll find something suitable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2009, 10:55 AM
 
2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Reputation: 840
Why not look in center city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2009, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Sanford, FL
596 posts, read 1,547,637 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Why not look in center city?
Affordability and the comment pertaining to limited funds kind of rules out Center City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-22-2009, 07:38 PM
 
2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Reputation: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
Affordability and the comment pertaining to limited funds kind of rules out Center City.
Limited funds mean different things to different people. If the OP posts what they can afford, it would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 05:47 PM
 
Location: South Philly (Graduate Hospital area)
16 posts, read 45,637 times
Reputation: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
West Philadelphia/University City is not "safe", and even if you find a good block to live on, there is still the matter of going through blocks that aren't on a daily basis. Which would explain the overall affordability in the area. Of course not everyone gets mugged, but if you're coming from a non-urban area to live here, you won't ever feel comfortable.

Take a look at some neighborhoods near SEPTA Route 101 or Route 102 in Delaware County, just past the Philadelphia line. They offer an easy commute to the 69th Street Station, followed by a quick subway ride to Penn's campus or downtown Philly.
http://www.septa.org/service/sched/pdfs/101.pdf
http://www.septa.org/service/sched/pdfs/102.pdf

I wasn't sure if you were looking to share a one bedroom or two bedroom, but included one bedroom options if that were the case.

Drexel Hill in particular would be a good option.
Lovely one bedroom in Drexel Hill (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1229597870.html - broken link)
One Bedroom apt for Rent (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1214698919.html - broken link)

Lansdowne is nice also.
REDUCED!!! Airy 1 BR in Charming Victorian (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1231056440.html - broken link)
Historic Victorian 1st Flr LR DR Enclosed Porch Utilities Included (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1227927300.html - broken link)
ALL UTILITIES INCLUDED-plus washer dryer- great space (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1216108111.html - broken link)

Welcome to the area and good luck! There are a lot of options, with some investigating you'll find something suitable.
I wouldn't describe West Philly/University City with the blanket description of "not safe." It's full of college students as well as staff members and professors from Penn, Drexel, etc. There are some upscale areas like Spruce Hill, and I know the OP said he wanted an affordable area but I only point this out to show it's not a complete ghetto. University City is known for its abundance of large Victorians, many of which are student rentals, and lots of trees. If you stay below 50th Street you'll be fine. I lived in University City for five years (I live in South Philly now) and never encountered any crime or felt unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top