U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 02:01 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,769,100 times

Advertisements

someone had mentioned before about queen village and bella vista. yes they are great parts of the city....but who the h_ll can afford a house there? not myself. however, i do currently rent in queen village....nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 01:55 PM

16 posts, read 45,637 times
South Philly is very diverse. I wouldn't really call it exclusively Italian, but there definitely is a huge Italian population. There are also African-American areas and pockets of Mexican and Asian-dominated areas.

I live in the Graduate Hospital area, which is south of South Street and north of Washington, between the Schuylkill and 25th St. It's technically South Philly because it's south of South, but the official designation by the city is Southwest Center City because it's just below Rittenhouse Square. If you're looking to buy, I'd recommend looking in this area, as it's very up-and-coming, generally safe and more affordable than the most desirable areas farther south, such as Bella Vista and Queen Village.

I've lived all over the city -- North Philly, Center City, Fairmount and West Philly -- and I like South Philly the best.

Old 06-26-2009, 02:11 PM

7 posts, read 14,894 times
What is the avg price of a home in South Philly? We will be renting at least for the first year, but buying is something we plan to do in the next two years. Also what is the job market like in Philly. I know the economy as a whole is suffering but what about this part of the region?

Old 06-27-2009, 04:18 PM

16 posts, read 45,637 times
South Philly varies widely. The most expensive homes are in the Bella Vista/Queen Village area -- they could easily run a half million dollars on up. The Point Breeze and Newbold neighborhoods are quickly becoming gentrified, and you can find something below $300k. Graduate Hospital homes generally range from $300 and up. You can find homes for a lot less, but they'd either need to be updated or would be in the less desirable sections of South Philly. The SP zip codes are 19145, 19146, 19147 and 19148 if you want to look at homes on realtor.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or