U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:46 PM

4 posts, read 8,290 times

Advertisements

I used to live in S. Philly. On passyunk, a block away from Geno.

The Acme is near a police station, but keep in mind, it's also around the street where the kid on the bike got shot at.

The little black kids around there (African American if you want to be political correct but I don't think they know anything about Africa) seem a little racist to me, especially toward asian.

There's a lot more mexican than blacks though. Most of the blacks all moved into the development homes near washington. I wish I qualify for those home. They make less than me but somehow have soem pretty nice cars.

Passyunk is turning into a high end street but the area is still s. philly. I have a friend who live on Dickenson, he got robbed right in front of his door when we drop him off one night. Now we make sure he's in all the way before driving off.

If you park in S. Philly, say goodbye to your bumpers. Freaking ppl can't park in S. Philly... or anywhere in the City were parking is tight. The guy hit me while I was in my car, didn't even have the decency to say sorry. This lady hit my g/f car and didn't even realize it! When we got out of the car to if there was a scratch, she asked if there was something wrong, and didn't even apologize, just said she didn't felt anything 0-o.

As for the asian shops, it's okay... one or two stores I like, but I rather just go to Chinatown or N. Philly. Also there's an underground asian community around S. Philly. My brother can't even go to S. Philly along Washington at a certain time because certain people don't like him for certain reasons...

If you don't hang out with the wrong crowd, I"m sure you'll be fine. Just don't assume that there's a sense of safety. i'm not saying be paranoid but don't do anything stupid. I don't care how safe a neighborhood, a female should never walk alone at night. The very least, there are always some pervert trying to feel up some ladies. Recently a 14yrs old kid was arrested for doing it around S. Philly, broad street line, most of the stops are in S. Philly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 02:49 PM

4 posts, read 8,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcityluvn View Post
There is a saying in Philadelphia for West Philly. "Do not go past 40th Street!" Neighborhoods change fast if you know what I mean.
40th is too close, you're on the border. I have a friend who use to live on 40th st. place get worse every year. I'm just waiting for Upenn to keep expanding.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:42 PM

127 posts, read 466,419 times
West philly is GHetto. you would probably be the only asian girl in that area.
But i think south philly is good in most parts

Old 03-23-2010, 07:22 AM

2,913 posts, read 4,726,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenwcandy View Post
I'm in the process of finding a place to live in Philadelphia, and I'm torn between a place in South Philly, by Passyunk Avenue and Dickinson Street, or a place in West Philly/University City (sorry--not really familiar with where one stops and the other starts), by 49th north of Springfield Avenue.
If it were me, I'd choose the place in South Philly. My son's first apartment was at 8th & Tasker, and I still miss going down to that area (it's known as Passyunk Square). Very walkable...close to the Broad St. Subway, not far from the Italian Market. And when you move in, you MUST check out Termini's Bakery on 8th St. above Tasker....talk about decadence.

Here's a link to their civic association:

Passyunk Square Civic Association

*Geez, I just realized this thread started back in 2009. Why do people resurrect these things?

Old 04-08-2010, 01:19 PM

219 posts, read 582,185 times
Default 40th St???!?!?

First of all, those of you who say that 40th Street in West Philly is the boundary are crazy? 40th St? Are you crazy? There's a high-end supermarket, a bank, a movie theatre, a book store, a Chipotle??!?!!? And then 40th-42nd is mostly students, and then 42nd-49th is a beautiful residential neighborhood, populated mostly by penn employees, non-profit workers, etc, and they have kids who frolic around the neighborhood AND ATTEND A NEIGHBORHOOD SCHOOL. Further west, you have yoga studios, bike shops, cafes, etc. This mostly applies to south of walnut, and north of kingsessing ave. I mean, seriously, houses there go for half-million, and its easy to see why- housing stock of that quality is hard to find in Philadelphia. There's like 100 trees on every street. Google street view the area- go look at these "RUN-DOWN" corners-
48th and Windsor
46th and Chester
47th and Osage
46th and Pine
OOOOHH SO Scary

Old 04-08-2010, 03:44 PM

388 posts, read 966,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcolover85 View Post
So what does this leave of West Philly then? 10 blocks? lol The vast majority of West Philly lies beyond 40th street...and I hardly consider the area between 40th and the river truly West Philly, its a hybrid of Center City and the universities and there's not a great deal of residential housing unless apartments are your thing. Apartments and drunk 20 somethings...

Yes that leaves about 10 blocks. The poster should avoid the majority of West Philadelphia.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennKid View Post
First of all, those of you who say that 40th Street in West Philly is the boundary are crazy? 40th St? Are you crazy? There's a high-end supermarket, a bank, a movie theatre, a book store, a Chipotle??!?!!? And then 40th-42nd is mostly students, and then 42nd-49th is a beautiful residential neighborhood, populated mostly by penn employees, non-profit workers, etc, and they have kids who frolic around the neighborhood AND ATTEND A NEIGHBORHOOD SCHOOL. Further west, you have yoga studios, bike shops, cafes, etc. This mostly applies to south of walnut, and north of kingsessing ave. I mean, seriously, houses there go for half-million, and its easy to see why- housing stock of that quality is hard to find in Philadelphia. There's like 100 trees on every street. Google street view the area- go look at these "RUN-DOWN" corners-
48th and Windsor
46th and Chester
47th and Osage
46th and Pine
OOOOHH SO Scary
I would agree that up to about 48th-49th Street is fine. There are indeed some amazing homes on the 4500 (or 4600?) block of Pine Street. Those are probably the half-mil properties you're talking about.

For those without any large city experience, I might recommend visiting during the day to gain your comfort level. But it's not like nightfall comes and the vampires descend down like a scene out of Twilight or something. lol
(And no I didn't see that movie. I'm just sayin'...)

Old 04-09-2010, 01:13 PM

388 posts, read 966,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I would agree that up to about 48th-49th Street is fine. There are indeed some amazing homes on the 4500 (or 4600?) block of Pine Street. Those are probably the half-mil properties you're talking about.

For those without any large city experience, I might recommend visiting during the day to gain your comfort level. But it's not like nightfall comes and the vampires descend down like a scene out of Twilight or something. lol
(And no I didn't see that movie. I'm just sayin'...)

Half a mil? Have you priced them lately? I see beautiful homes all over the city but the reality is most of them can't sell for what they are worth because anyone with money does not want to live in those neighborhoods.

There is row of beautiful three story victorians in the 40's. If those homes were in the 20's they would sell for 800k but since they are in the 40's they probably sell for 200k. The other thing is there are a couple owners that have destroyed the value of the entire block. The homes are brick with covered porchers and one clown finished off their porch with purple aluminum siding. Another owner painted the brick green.

The block reminds me of the pic of 3400 Powelton.
The (Second) Empire Strikes Back: Powelton Village in West Philly - SkyscraperPage Forum

Old 04-10-2010, 04:33 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekish View Post
Half a mil? Have you priced them lately? I see beautiful homes all over the city but the reality is most of them can't sell for what they are worth because anyone with money does not want to live in those neighborhoods.

There is row of beautiful three story victorians in the 40's. If those homes were in the 20's they would sell for 800k but since they are in the 40's they probably sell for 200k. The other thing is there are a couple owners that have destroyed the value of the entire block. The homes are brick with covered porchers and one clown finished off their porch with purple aluminum siding. Another owner painted the brick green.

[/url]
I should amend my previous statement: it was the 4600 block of Osage (just one block south) that I was thinking of. While I'm sure there has been some sort of price correction, I'm sure they haven't dropped $300K or more as you're suggesting.

But I do agree that there are a lot of stately old houses around the city. And it's unfortunate that some aren't as well-kept as others.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:52 PM

32 posts, read 73,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenwcandy View Post
I'm in the process of finding a place to live in Philadelphia, and I'm torn between a place in South Philly, by Passyunk Avenue and Dickinson Street, or a place in West Philly/University City (sorry--not really familiar with where one stops and the other starts), by 49th north of Springfield Avenue.

Safety is my ultimate concern. I'm a short, small-framed Asian female in my 20s, and I'll be coming home in the evening hours most nights, most likely by myself. I'm not at all intimidating looking, and I've had problems in other places that I've lived with being a target of cat-calling and things that made me feel downright uncomfortable. I don't want to deal with being so scared that I won't want to leave my apartment to go grocery shopping at night, or have to feel like I need to have pepper spray in my hands at all times. I also don't want to be worried that my car will be missing/broken into every morning. I know this might seem like i'm asking a lot, but the people I've talked to have all said that Philly is "up-and-coming."

When I visited both properties, the tenants both said the same thing- that they never had any problems, etc etc, but I want some unbiased advice. Which apartment would you recommend, based on my needs?

I used to live at 48th and Baltimore. I took the R-3 train from the 49th St station, which is right around Springfield. The neighborhood is borderline safe and borders one of the poorest and most unsafe neighborhoods in Philly.

I rarely saw people out at night when I was walking up 49th St. Many older people live in that area. I never felt in danger. However, I am male. For that reason, I would suggest the area of South Philly you mentioned. It's also better access to Center City, although if you have a car, there's much more parking in that part of West.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or