U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-24-2009, 09:08 AM
 
3 posts, read 35,013 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

We are researching our next move and have zeroed in on Ambler, PA. At present, we live in Lansdowne and we like the “Vibe” of Lansdowne, with the Farmer’s Market, Coffee Shop, large beautiful trees and cool people, but our house is too much to take care of (we are not brick and mortar types) and the schools aren’t ideal (we have children). My question to all the Montgomery Countydonians is: what’s Ambler really like? Can we reasonably expect to find a nice house for $200-250K? Is the area solid or in decline? Is the community, as a whole, fairly liberal? Is it the kind of place where young families “grow roots” or move on to other places? How far does it take to drive to Chestnut Hill and the Wissahickon?
We are scouting it out next week, so are there any places of interest we should check out?
Thanks for your feedback, and I welcome any additional observations of the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-24-2009, 10:35 AM
 
710 posts, read 1,357,459 times
Reputation: 733
What exactly does fairly liberal mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 12:44 PM
 
3 posts, read 35,013 times
Reputation: 13
I feared that someone would take offense to the wording of my post so let me clarify so as not to start an argument and with the sincere hope that it ends with this explanation: I wrote fairly liberal because that can best describe, from a political perspective, the area in which I currently live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 01:09 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
5,673 posts, read 10,245,988 times
Reputation: 9515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lansdowne Resident View Post
We are researching our next move and have zeroed in on Ambler, PA. At present, we live in Lansdowne and we like the “Vibe” of Lansdowne, with the Farmer’s Market, Coffee Shop, large beautiful trees and cool people, but our house is too much to take care of (we are not brick and mortar types) and the schools aren’t ideal (we have children). My question to all the Montgomery Countydonians is: what’s Ambler really like? Can we reasonably expect to find a nice house for $200-250K? Is the area solid or in decline? Is the community, as a whole, fairly liberal? Is it the kind of place where young families “grow roots” or move on to other places? How far does it take to drive to Chestnut Hill and the Wissahickon?
We are scouting it out next week, so are there any places of interest we should check out?
Thanks for your feedback, and I welcome any additional observations of the area!
You can find houses in that range, but they might be rowhouses, townhouses, older homes or smaller homes. The area is pretty solid - Ambler boro is actually better than it was 10 years ago and the surrounding area has always been good. As far as politics, the US rep and state rep are democrats, the state senator is a republican, and I'd describe the area as pretty moderate as opposed to either liberal or conservative - you'll find both. Some people have lived in Ambler for generations but others haven't - again, you'll find both. The schools are good. Chestnut Hill would be maybe a 10 minute drive, and Fort Washington park is even closer than the Wissahickon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 01:58 PM
 
1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Reputation: 449
Garden City, Wallingford is relatively affordable and liberal with great schools and taxes that can be on par with Lansdowne. But the homes are still made of brick and mortar, just the way I like them.

Ambler is supposed to be a great place to live but if the people I know who just moved there (self-involved yuppie types) are indicative of who is moving there, you couldn't pay me enough to live there. Just my $.02.

After some research, Ambler is pretty comparable to places like Aldan (but people make less and the crime is less) and Phoenixville (same but not as drastic a difference). So, yeah, maybe all the yuppies are moving there .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2009, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
548 posts, read 1,835,315 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Garden City, Wallingford is relatively affordable and liberal with great schools and taxes that can be on par with Lansdowne. But the homes are still made of brick and mortar, just the way I like them.

Ambler is supposed to be a great place to live but if the people I know who just moved there (self-involved yuppie types) are indicative of who is moving there, you couldn't pay me enough to live there. Just my $.02.

After some research, Ambler is pretty comparable to places like Aldan (but people make less and the crime is less) and Phoenixville (same but not as drastic a difference). So, yeah, maybe all the yuppies are moving there .
I hate to disagree with orrmobl (you've been a huge help to me on these boards in the past) but I lived in Phoenixville until a recent move to Whitpain and in my opinion Ambler is in better shape than Phoenixville at this point. Phoenixville's Bridge St. is hopping on Fri/Sat nights but there's still a weird element in many of the areas. Almost the whole north side of P'ville is pretty undesirable.

I think Ambler borough has a weird section too, but it just seems to be a bit more "ahead" in its re-development.

Anyway - I don't mean to make this an Ambler vs. Phoenixvlle thread -- my impression of Ambler is that the borough's redevelopment has money behind it and the outskirt areas are very good. The schools are very good and the access to the highways and other fun locales (Bucks County, Chestnut Hill, Conshy) are desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2009, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh and Philly
12 posts, read 44,907 times
Reputation: 18
Also, Ambler is right on the R5 which gives you easy access to Center City. And, Volare Pizza which is right near the train station has some of the best pizza (at least I think) in the Philly area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 09:43 AM
 
1 posts, read 12,300 times
Reputation: 13
Default Ambler

This may be a little late to be useful, but I live in Ambler and can probably answer most of your questions. The Borough of Ambler has an older section with row houses on one side of Butler Ave (the main street with shops/restaurants). The other side of Butler is a neighborhood with mostly single homes that are either cape cods or split levels (this is where I live). The capes and splits are generally built in the 1950s or 1960s on lots of 1/4 to 1/2 acre and are usually either 3 or 4 BDR and 1 or 1 1/2 bath. Right now these homes seem to be selling in the range of $250K. The Wissahickon school district is excellent (one of the best in the greater Philadelpia area) and the elementary, middle school and high school are all within walking distance of the borough. The Real Estate taxes in the Borough are low compared to surrounding areas so you get a great school district without paying really high taxes. The neighborhood is very kid friendly. There are tons of families with young kids so if kids are not your thing you may want to consider someplace else. There are a lot of people who have lived here for many years as well as newcomers like me, but there is definitely a community feel. I have no idea if the place is liberal or not. I rarely talk politics with the neighbors. If you catch an express train from Ambler you can get to CC Philly in 28 minutes. Chestnut Hill is a 10 min drive down Bethlehem Pike and the Turnpike and 309 are right there. You are within a 1 hour commute of almost all of the greater Philly area jobs (from Princeton NJ and Bucks County to Valley Forge or Malvern all the way down to Wilmington DE).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2010, 10:25 PM
 
1,224 posts, read 3,629,172 times
Reputation: 313
scojoe, not sure if the OP is still reading this. But it caught my attention. I was looking at Lansdale/North Wales previously. But have recently been looking for a better location and had noticed the Wissahickon school district / Ambler. So the same R5 that comes from Lansddale / North Wales, passes by here? How far is the "Butler Ave" area you describe from the train station?

Is the area fairly racially diverse? (I am Asian Indian)

How about shopping, any idea about the nearest Trader Joes?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
548 posts, read 1,835,315 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
scojoe, not sure if the OP is still reading this. But it caught my attention. I was looking at Lansdale/North Wales previously. But have recently been looking for a better location and had noticed the Wissahickon school district / Ambler. So the same R5 that comes from Lansddale / North Wales, passes by here? How far is the "Butler Ave" area you describe from the train station?

Is the area fairly racially diverse? (I am Asian Indian)

How about shopping, any idea about the nearest Trader Joes?

Thanks!
The train to Center City Philly runs right through Ambler. The train station is on Butler Pike, right in the heart of Ambler's town center.

There is a Trader Joe's on Bethlehem Pike (about 4-5 miles north of Ambler) and there's a nice new Whole Woods in Plymouth Meeting (about 4-5 miles to the southwest).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top