Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2009, 08:05 PM

13 posts, read 42,702 times

Advertisements

After having little luck with google searches and the phonebook, I turn to other residents here to ask. Where would I go to get a custom built computer? I'm looking for a local company with a physical shop, not just some person posting on craigslist that they can fix computers.

Right now I have a custom-built gaming desktop that was built by a company in my hometown - unfortunately that is way out of reach now that I have moved to Philadelphia two years ago. I had continued shipping the desktop to the company in my hometown when I would need it checked out, but it's quite a hassle, and I would really like to find a company within driving distance here, whom I can trust to do any upgrades or repairs and who would have experience building similar high-performance computers, as eventually I will probably like to have a new system built after my current one has reached the end of its lifespan.

If you can think of any local companies that would fit my needs, please give me their website and I will check them out! Also, I'm willing to go a little farther into other nearby towns, but some place in Philadelphia would be prefered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 01:51 PM

324 posts, read 1,220,233 times
I'm not the brightest bulb in the box but I have had success building and fixing my pcs...maybe its because I'm somewhat mechanically inclined that I have had success but they really are plug and play.

Most computer issues are software issues...

You might want to try building a PC yourself...there are great sites like newegg and tigerdirect that sell all the parts you would need. I build a monster PC a little over a year ago that with all the parts was about $1350 - comparable from gateway or dell was close to $2000. There are all kinds of sites out there with people willing to help - the best part is that you select the pieces to go into it so you will have a better idea of what is actually in there when you feel the need to upgrade!

Old 06-26-2009, 09:40 PM

13 posts, read 42,702 times
Heh, the problem is I'm just not a mechanical person - I'm all great with troubleshooting on the computer but not inside it! Anyway I'm not looking to get a new system just yet, it's still in good shape, just I'd like my fans checked out and also some bulbs in the case burnt out, I don't know if those can be replaced or if I'd have to get a new case.
I'm just looking for some local company I can go to with some nice professional geeks who can get to know my computer and still be around when I need service. What I worry is that if I trust just an individual to build me a machine, and then he disappears or moves away, and then I'm stuck with no support.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:41 PM

324 posts, read 1,220,233 times
If you can take the cover off the computer, you are mechanically inclined enough to work on one!!!

Don't worry about the lights...they are LEDs and are hard to replace - they are merely aesthetics and aside from indicator lights for HD activity or power on, have no real function.

The fans are easy to look at and service - a can of compressed air will do the trick. You may have a CPU fan (it will be on a finned chunk of metal) a power supply fan (in the area when you plug in the power) and a case fan or two - just a blast of compressed air to get off the dust should be keeping these running long after you decide to move on to another computer. If you need to replace a fan, they are easy to replace (4 screws and 1 power plug). Online is the cheapest place to find replacements and they are mesured in millimeters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: