U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 10:36 PM

4 posts, read 12,961 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know of certain towns in either Montgomery county or Bucks county that have a 'New England charm'? (Small town feel, colonial or cape houses, etc.) Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 07:39 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
there are tons. i grew up in CT and immediately noticed that parts of the main line look exactly like new england. more like the classic colonial manors or ivy league town settings. i'm sure others will clue you in on the actual towns.

as for cape houses, you should head closer to the jersey shore. plenty of those too.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:43 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
Doylestown, and Just NOrth of New Hope, along the river has that feel. not many though, it seems to be just spawl and bad urban planning in most places.

you will have to go to Princeton, Lambertville and Frenchtown NJ to find anything like back in New England.

I went to University in Rhode Island so i know what you mean

Old 06-25-2009, 07:34 PM

4,744 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Doylestown, and Just NOrth of New Hope, along the river has that feel. not many though, it seems to be just spawl and bad urban planning in most places.

you will have to go to Princeton, Lambertville and Frenchtown NJ to find anything like back in New England.

I went to University in Rhode Island so i know what you mean
While I admit that there is a significant amount of sprawl in the area, there are also a large amount of denser, traditional towns that are more akin to New England towns.

I visit suburban Boston relatively frequently, and -- like john starks noted -- there is definitely an old world, colonial vibe on the Main Line that is very similar to New England.

Other areas that would qualify are Jenkintown, Chestnut Hill, Mt. Airy and Wyncote, along with plenty of others I am missing. In my travels around Boston, I have found that the suburbs within a 15-20 miles radius north and west of Philadelphia have a very similar vibe with relatively similar demographics.

The primary difference in the Philadelphia area is that there tends to be a lot more exurban development, which may skew the perceptions of outsiders not familiar with the inner-suburbs.

Don't give up hope.

Last edited by Duderino; 06-25-2009 at 08:05 PM..

Old 06-25-2009, 10:10 PM

689 posts, read 2,095,016 times
Check out downtown Newtown, main street area of Yardley (Yardley Borough only, not lower makefield township part of Yardley), state street in Doylestown or New Hope downtown.. They are all great homes, older neighborhoods, walking distance to shops, cute corner stores, etc.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:06 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
West Chester feels a little New England to me, particularly on the edge of town where newer colonial style houses have been built. I am not aware of anyplace in Bucks or Montomery unless maybe in the northern parts of those countys. Nothing on the main line reminds me of New England except maybe very urban places like Brookline or Chestnut Hill near Boston, although again Chester County near Great Valley has a little of that Conneticut woods thing going on.

Old 06-27-2009, 04:38 AM

980 posts, read 2,477,643 times
Newtown, Yardley, Doylestown, New Hope as well as much of the Main Line.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:50 PM

4 posts, read 12,961 times
Default New England on Main Line

Thank you for your replies! There seem to be differing opinions about whether the Main Line. As a follow-up question: What specific Main Line towns are most reminiscent of New England? (walkable, similar housing styles, etc.)

Thanks, again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
While I admit that there is a significant amount of sprawl in the area, there are also a large amount of denser, traditional towns that are more akin to New England towns.

I visit suburban Boston relatively frequently, and -- like john starks noted -- there is definitely an old world, colonial vibe on the Main Line that is very similar to New England.

Other areas that would qualify are Jenkintown, Chestnut Hill, Mt. Airy and Wyncote, along with plenty of others I am missing. In my travels around Boston, I have found that the suburbs within a 15-20 miles radius north and west of Philadelphia have a very similar vibe with relatively similar demographics.

The primary difference in the Philadelphia area is that there tends to be a lot more exurban development, which may skew the perceptions of outsiders not familiar with the inner-suburbs.

Don't give up hope.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:04 PM

4,744 posts, read 7,845,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clapboard View Post
Thank you for your replies! There seem to be differing opinions about whether the Main Line. As a follow-up question: What specific Main Line towns are most reminiscent of New England? (walkable, similar housing styles, etc.)

Thanks, again.
Specifically, I would say most of Radnor and Lower Merion Townships, which encompasses a ton of smaller towns.

Here is a few pictures in both areas that I believe have similar feels -- primarily more affluent areas. These may not be the best pictorial comparisons, but I think they get the idea across.

Main Line

The Most Expensive Suburbs to Live In Now 2009: Pennsylvania - BusinessWeek

http://suburbanphiladelphiarealestatenews.com/image_store/uploads/5/0/4/2/2/ar123064537622405 (broken link)

http://www.mainlinevideoguide.com/images/ardmore-sign (broken link)

Suburban Boston (Lexington & Concord, Mass.)

Picture of Traffic, Concord, Massachusetts - Free Pictures - FreeFoto.com

Alcott, Amos Bronson

File:Buckman Tavern, Lexington, Massachusetts.JPG - Wikimedia Commons

Old 07-17-2009, 01:55 AM

26 posts, read 64,287 times
Great posts and great advise everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or