Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2007, 12:01 PM

359 posts, read 2,592,581 times

Advertisements

I posted a similiar question like this a while back but didn't get all the info i needed. Im from the NYC area and like that there is always something to do all the time, even at 3 in the morning. Im looking at apartments in Philly because they are cheap and NYC is priced out as of the moment. Will have be able to enjoy the same excitment down in Philly as I do in NYC? And by that I mean are there stores open 24 hours? Are there always people outside? I hear Center City has alot to do but last time I checked it out it seemed pretty dead. But that was in the winter. And not to make this the deciding factor, but If i get hungry at 2 in the morning, are there places I could eat at?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 07:42 AM

359 posts, read 2,592,581 times
Anybody????????????

Old 04-21-2007, 08:54 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,208,904 times
Most of my time spent in center city is during the day and its a vibrant place especially non winter months.My only complaint is that Center City shopping virtually closes down on Sundays... I'm in town alot of weekend nights and CC has a very healthy nightlife until 2(last call) and there are plenty of after hours clubs.

You'll always be able to find places to eat things to do but don't get it twisted, its no Manhattan. The best thing to do would be to visit for a weekend and get a feel for center city and see if its up to your speed.

As far as the city being dead. Its a fair weather town as I'm sure Boston is and to a lesser extent NYC are in the northeast winters. Much more enjoyable experience when the weather breaks. Yesterday was the first decent day of the year and Center City was very crowded especially around Rittenhouse Square.

Good luck imo CC is a good backup plan for people from NYC.

Old 04-21-2007, 06:21 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyJerzyKidUNO View Post
I posted a similiar question like this a while back but didn't get all the info i needed. Im from the NYC area and like that there is always something to do all the time, even at 3 in the morning. Im looking at apartments in Philly because they are cheap and NYC is priced out as of the moment. Will have be able to enjoy the same excitment down in Philly as I do in NYC? And by that I mean are there stores open 24 hours? Are there always people outside? I hear Center City has alot to do but last time I checked it out it seemed pretty dead. But that was in the winter. And not to make this the deciding factor, but If i get hungry at 2 in the morning, are there places I could eat at?

Thanks,
Center City actually doesn't have a lot of late-night food.....unless you want Wawa or McDonalds. The area around South street and South Philly has 24-hour restaurants though.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:46 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,933,291 times
I think Chinatown might have some all-night restaurants as well. I haven't had much experience staying out past 2AM, and when I have been out that late, I've generally been headed home, rather than to get something to eat.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:08 PM

9 posts, read 34,487 times
Let's see: Unfortunately, I can't stay awake after midnight (too old!) but what is considered Cheese steak corner stays open all night. That is around 9th and Passyunk Avenue (that's Geno's and Pat's)

There are also the diners: Melrose (15th and Snyder) and Oregon (3rd and Oregon)

And an old time favorite is Little Pete's at 219 S. 17th (I think this is between Walnut and Locust on 17th) -- they make great milkshakes!!

Old 04-23-2007, 04:56 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I'm just guessing here, but wouldn't the places over by Drexel and Penn stay open all the time? I know my college students are nocturnal. oh, but maybe that's not considered CC?

Old 04-23-2007, 10:15 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I'm just guessing here, but wouldn't the places over by Drexel and Penn stay open all the time? I know my college students are nocturnal. oh, but maybe that's not considered CC?
Philly in general is not a 24/7 town. Perhaps more like 20/7 in Center City. Even across the river in University City, where Penn and Drexel are located, the only places open all night are some convenience stores, the food carts that feed the hospital workers and those nocturnal students hanging out in their dorms.

If you're looking for another "city that never sleeps", you might do better in Boston, Chicago, or LA for example. Philly's not it.

That's not to say I've lost any love for my hometown!

Old 04-28-2007, 04:45 PM

468 posts, read 2,357,736 times
South Street is your best bet for late evening/night food, shopping, and people watching. Most of the stores in the area are open until later than other parts of the city.

There are a couple restaurants in Chinatown that are open until 3am or so.

Of course there are a couple dozen 24-hour diners. If you want a sit down meal at 4am, they'll probably be among your only options.

If you're looking for the part of town with a lot of night life activity that'd be Old City. The sidewalks are crowded on Friday and Saturday nights until after closing time-- which is 2am.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:01 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,895,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Philly in general is not a 24/7 town. Perhaps more like 20/7 in Center City. Even across the river in University City, where Penn and Drexel are located, the only places open all night are some convenience stores, the food carts that feed the hospital workers and those nocturnal students hanging out in their dorms.

If you're looking for another "city that never sleeps", you might do better in Boston, Chicago, or LA for example. Philly's not it.

That's not to say I've lost any love for my hometown!
Uh.....I live in LA & you'd be surprised how early this city wraps up.
There is NO good food after 10 PM. Everything is freakin fast food.

Philly has a lot more going for it in variety & late night dinning. Besides NYC has 15 million people in their metro compared to what 6million in the Delaware Valley?

Last time I was there you could count on some good food after 2am from the Fresh Grocer or The Philadelphia Diner, or Wawas over in the U-City area but be very carful of getting robbed after 10:PM in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia