U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:46 AM

8 posts, read 20,813 times

Advertisements

Thanks to all for the advice so far. I'm going to drive up to Collingswood today and check it out, then take PATCO into Philly and see how it goes. Honestly, at first glance a Collingswood commute doesn't look much better to me than the Philly commute does. I'd be looking at a 41 mile commute vs. a 45 mile commute in Philadelphia, and most of those miles would be on 676 going into NJ. I still need to try driving from Philly to work just to see how the commute really is.

Are there affordable renting options in Collingswood or Westmont? (Affordable to me means $750/month, tops)

At this point, I think my first priority is to try to find a job in Philadelphia or as close as possible, and if the time comes to move and I haven't found a Philly job yet, I will only do the commute for as long as it takes to find a closer job. Thanks again to all,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 03:12 PM

16,392 posts, read 21,381,379 times
Been there done that. I lived in Drexel Hill annd my job was transfered to Bridgeton. I commuted for several months but finally I gave up and got an Apartment there and rented my home to a relative.
If you don't already have a place in Philly don't put yourself through this. Find a place near the Commodore Barry that you can go either way without hitting city traffic

Old 08-01-2009, 05:36 PM

5,969 posts, read 7,996,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjimsorry View Post
Honestly, at first glance a Collingswood commute doesn't look much better to me than the Philly commute does. I'd be looking at a 41 mile commute vs. a 45 mile commute in Philadelphia, and most of those miles would be on 676 going into NJ. I still need to try driving from Philly to work just to see how the commute really is.
The good thing about living in NJ and working in NJ is that you will not have to pay the Philadelphia wage tax. So that may be something you may also want to consider.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:55 AM

16,392 posts, read 21,381,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
The good thing about living in NJ and working in NJ is that you will not have to pay the Philadelphia wage tax. So that may be something you may also want to consider.
Good point, that's a big chunk of change to be voluntarily giving away.
Where in Cumberland County. Vineland and Millville are both along 55 and comparitively easy compared to Bridgeton or Elmer which are easier from Delaware than Philly

Old 08-03-2009, 01:32 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,389,936 times
Live in NJ or somewhere outside of downtown Philly. The extra expense in Philly is not worth it unless you have the time and money to enjoy the amenities. South Philly maybe, but downtown and NL, it's hard to find anything your price range, espec. without a roommate if you're renting. Philadelphia has given me trouble with taxes for several years for things that I ended up not having to pay for at all, but I had to fight for my money back. I don't think it's worth the potential hassle in your case.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:57 AM

Collingswood is sounding like a really good option. I think that area is where I will end up (still have a few more months yet). After city wage tax, bridge tolls, and extra gas, I would be paying close to $300 just for the privilege of living in Philly. OUCH! Nevermind.

I've walked around Collingswood and the surrounding areas, taken PATCO into Philly, and I agree that this is my best bet. This gives me everything I'm looking for, but for substantially less. I'm not crazy about Collingswood being a dry town, but I would manage. I can find other ways to spend $300 a month. And, if I ever do take a job in the city, I will be at a much better location for commuting than where I am presently.

Thanks to everyone, to MR and others who originally suggested Collingswood. You were right.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:06 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,301,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjimsorry View Post
I'm not crazy about Collingswood being a dry town, but I would manage.
I lived in Collingswood. It was only occasionally annoying that the town was dry. I lived right on Haddon Ave. and was used to getting just about everything within a few blocks of my house so it was annoying, when I didn't plan ahead, to have to go to Westmont to get beer. If I was going out drinking then it usually involved taking the train into the city.

I think apartments might be easier to come by in Collingswood but you might want to consider just moving to Westmont if you can find a place near the PATCO station there. There are a couple of bars on Haddon Ave. that are decent for a weeknight, watching the game type of place. I'm thinking PJs, Brewers and the relatively new Pour House.

I went to PJs and Brewers every once in a while (Brewers used to be called something else and the name escapes me right now) but I was always more city oriented. When I did go to those places I'd either walk (about 15 minutes from my place) or take the train depending on the weather and I'd walk, take a cab or the train to get home. It just depended on who I was with, how late it was and what the weather was like. When it's 1am sometimes it's easier to suck it up and walk 15 minutes in the cold than it is to wait 20 minutes for a train.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:20 PM

I just wanted to give an update to this thread. I'm moving into my Fishtown apartment on April first. After calculating and recalculating the costs, I established that there was little cost benefit to living in Collingswood instead of Philly, at least for me. I'll explain why, and how I reached this conclusion just in case there are others out there contemplating a similar move.

* The Philly City Wage Tax sucks, but the additional 3.94% is mitigated somewhat by Pennsylvania's lower State Income Tax (3.07%) compared to New Jersey's 5.53%. New Jerseyans pay 2.46% more in State Income Tax than Pennsylvanians. Subtract that amount from the City Wage Tax percentage, and you'll find that living in Philly costs 1.47% more in various income taxes than it does to live in New Jersey. (In my case, that turns out to be about $70 a month.) But wait, there's more.

* Bridge Tolls - 22 week days in an average month amounts to $88/month in bridge tolls. This will change to $110/month in September 2011. I'll use the higher figure.

* Additional gasoline - minimal, say $30/month

So far, we're at $210/month extra just for the privilege of living in Philly. That may seem like a lot at first, until you go looking for an apartment. I rented my spacious one bedroom Fishtown apartment for $650 including heat. Try finding that in Collingswood within walking distance to PATCO. As far as I can tell, Collingswood apartments are at least $200 more expensive than a cheap apartment in Philadelphia. (And, it seems many Collingswood landlords hate pets. Another strike in my case.)

So, I just wanted to say that it is possible to live in Philadelphia for nearly the same amount of money it would cost to live in a similar apartment in NJ along the PATCO route. There are good deals in Philly just waiting to be found, you just have to go looking for them.

I'd love to hear any comments regarding any costs I may have missed. (Sales tax is more expensive in Philly. I'll do my shopping in NJ.) I'm still not sure what the difference in car insurance will be, but I'm prepared to eat that cost regardless.

Good luck everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or