U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 10:03 AM

8 posts, read 20,813 times

Advertisements

I currently have a job in South Jersey, about 50 miles outside of Philly. I'm planning a move to Philly (Northern Liberties maybe, or South Philly) in about a year or so, after I have minimized my expenses by paying off a few loans. The pay at my job isn't the greatest (50K) but the phenomenal benefits are better than I can reasonably expect to ever see again. If at all possible, I'd like to try to keep the Jersey job as long as I can and do a reverse commute from Philly to South Jersey. Is this doable?

The commute looks to be about an hour each way. At $3 a gallon for gas, it will cost me roughly $325 a month for gas and tolls to and from work. I'm hoping to find an apartment for under $700/month - $600 would be ideal. Is this unrealistic? I really have no idea what to expect as far as utilities are concerned, or for car insurance. Can anyone help me estimate what these costs are going to be living in the city? Are there any other costs that I might have overlooked? I will probably be taking my chances with street parking; I don't think I could afford a garage. I'd also love to hear experiences from anyone else doing a reverse commute from Philly to the outer-lying suburb areas.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 01:22 PM

27 posts, read 99,196 times
Is it anywhere near the PATCO high speed line?

Old 07-05-2009, 01:26 PM

Unfortunately no, it's not. It's in Cumberland County; I'd have to drive.

Old 07-05-2009, 01:30 PM

Ouch. A cheaper part of town near bridges would be Port Richmond or Fishtown, they're decent neighborhoods, lots of kids though. NoLibs is just west of Fishtown. NoLibs is expensive but cheaper more sketchy you go (north and west) and hipster. Richmond and Fishtown are both strongholds of working class Philadelphians, a bit clannish but they're good people, mostly. And you have the Betsy Ross or Ben Franklin bridges close by.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:04 PM

1,983 posts, read 6,843,384 times
Live in South Jersey. It's better than Philly anyway.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:08 PM

Thank you Boeing, actually I have considered Fishtown. I like the area and I think that might be perfect for me given the proximity to the Ben Franklin Bridge. But would I shave any significant time off my commute if I lived closer to the Walt Whitman bridge instead?

One of these days I plan on doing the 6am drive from Philly to Cumberland Co. (and then the reverse in the evening) to see how bad it actually will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident
Live in South Jersey. It's better than Philly anyway.
I do live in South Jersey. I've lived here for nearly 5 years now, and I'm dying to leave.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:14 PM

1,983 posts, read 6,843,384 times
LOL, you want to move to Philly to work in Cumberland County?

Old 07-05-2009, 02:38 PM

9 posts, read 34,881 times
sjimsorry - My husband and I are doing the same thing except he is working in Voorhees and reverse commuting from Graduate Hospital area. Two blocks south of South. After eight years in Jersey, we were more than ready to move, so far we are really enjoying it, although the commute is a lot easier than yours will be. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 07-05-2009, 02:46 PM

Thanks toocan. Can you tell me how the traffic is for your husband going in and out of Philly, and which bridge he takes? Walt Whitman I assume...

Old 07-06-2009, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Thank you Boeing, actually I have considered Fishtown. I like the area and I think that might be perfect for me given the proximity to the Ben Franklin Bridge. But would I shave any significant time off my commute if I lived closer to the Walt Whitman bridge instead?
During the school year I take the el to college every day, and 95 doesn't look all that backed up, but then again it may be better to look into living in south Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or