U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:29 PM

27 posts, read 99,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serfmunke View Post
Wow, I really appreciate all the feedback and links to articles. I need to read up and do the research. I am also very happy I have a great realtor who is honest and I trust her opinion, so we'll see what happens. I mean Phoenixville couldn't be any worse than Ridley Park which is next to 95, 476, the airport, Boeing, and some other spewing industrial buildings.

Thanks a bunch people!
Boeing, eh?

I'd be more worried about a V-22 crashing in my yard then the power plant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:25 AM

548 posts, read 1,835,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serfmunke View Post
I mean Phoenixville couldn't be any worse than Ridley Park which is next to 95, 476, the airport, Boeing, and some other spewing industrial buildings
very true, but there are also a number of other great places to live in the great Philly area other than these 2 towns.

when we lived there we looked into one of the schools. They had a form you needed to fill out to give them the approval to, in the event of a nuclear meltdown, give your child those special pills (I forget the name of them). That made us feel a little weirded out.

Anyway, if you really like Phoenixville and are dead-set on it, then do it. I would imagine you'd eventually get used to the power plant. There are definitely a lot of nice people in the general north Chester-western Montgomery County areas.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:20 AM

58 posts, read 161,685 times
I've lived in Northern Chester County or western edge of Montco for most of my life and love it here. The schools are great, the people are very nice, and I love the suburban feel. In the past 15 yrs there has been a lot of residential and commercial development out this way, especially on the Rte 422 corridor and Rte 100. We have Phila Premium Outlets, Wegman's, Best Buy, Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. Lots of golf courses too.

I felt like I was in a Simpson's episode the first time we drove down 422 West and saw the cooling towers of the limerick plant. It struck me as funny. I was a little disconcerted about the safety aspect too, but am not worried now. The reality is, if there is an explosion do you want to be nearby and go quickly or suffer a long drawn out death? Don't mean to be a downer, but that's the reality if you're talking about towns nearby or a slightly further away. That being said, I'm not concerned.

The pills someone was referring to are KI, potassium iodide. Here's a link about them:
Potassium Iodide (KI) and Radiation Emergencies: Fact Sheet

Old 12-16-2009, 09:54 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,301,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
People around Toms River, NJ have had a large increase in cancer rates among children that the local community claimed was due to illegal dumping by a company in the area. Guess what? There's also a power plant in nearby Lacey Township. Hard to say if that is the cause. But the plant was shut down for repair around the same time and then the cancer rate began to decline. Coincidence? I highly doubt it.
Oyster Creek is one of the oldest reactors in the country and Salem was long plagued with problems. I don't trust either of them.

That said, It's doubtful that a cancer cluster in Toms River is linked to a power plant down in Forked River. The cancers were most certainly related to Ciba-Geigy (as had long been suspected) contaminating the aquifer.

Toms River Cancer Cluster Settlement

I just can't believe they're still in business.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,752,720 times
I once read an article (somewhere ) stating that your best bet is to purchase more than 50 miles away from any nuclear plant in case of an accident. I guess that leaves out most of us with Salem right across the bridge, practically.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:58 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,301,861 times
Between Salem, Hope Creek, Oyster Creek, Limerick, 3-Mile Island, Peach Bottom and the one up by Scranton it would be really hard to live anywhere around here and not be within 50 miles of one.

Cape May, maybe?

Old 12-17-2009, 01:01 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
while I wouldn't want to live in, say, limerick with premium views of the towers, I've never heard of anything odd about phoenixville. It's really come a long as a town.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:45 AM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
That view up 422 is like something from a Stephen King novel..."The Stand" to be exact. When I cracked open the Phoenixville phone book and saw the nuclear emergency evacuation radius and routes, I was mighty grateful I didn't live within one of those concentric circles. I would pass.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:04 PM

27,267 posts, read 25,865,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Between Salem, Hope Creek, Oyster Creek, Limerick, 3-Mile Island, Peach Bottom and the one up by Scranton it would be really hard to live anywhere around here and not be within 50 miles of one.

Cape May, maybe?
...and make sure that you own a boat should you have to evacuate.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:29 PM

8 posts, read 17,117 times
Yeah, but if Limerick goes, the whole Philadelphia area gets some sort of radiation poisoning or something, right? Better to be closer and get fried up than die slowly of radiation poisoning, I say.

But on a serious note, I've lived in the Phoenixville area for years and never had a problem. I have relatives who live right next to the towers in Limerick and have never had a problem. The proximity of Valley Forge Park probably makes the Phoenixville area much...less toxic, I guess, than where I grew up in Delaware County, for instance. Although Phoenixville was a pretty heavy industrial town, so maybe not. But the whole 5-county area is riddled with Superfund sites and such. Pennsylvania Superfund Sites | Mid-Atlantic Superfund | US EPA Look! So is any major population area.

I wouldn't let Limerick scare you if you want to live here. It's a lovely area. I guarantee that if there were any babies born at Phoenixville Hospital with two heads or green skin or something, we all would have heard about it. I really don't think there's any more danger than in any other major population area. The only way to avoid stuff like that is to live in the middle of Montana or Nebraska or something, I guess. Or maybe a deserted island.

In other words: The towers freaked me out at first, too, but you get used to them real quick. Lived here on and off for almost ten years and am in perfect health.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia