U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 01:02 AM

31 posts, read 128,831 times

Advertisements

Alright everyone, my friend and I have 10 precious hours in Philadelphia before we have to hit the road again as part of our road trip schedule. What should we do and where should we go? We're both history dorks (hence the stop in Philadelphia) and would love to have a lot of that incorporated into our very-unfortunately-short visit. The older the better in our minds. We know about the biggies, Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, but there is SO much more in Philadelphia than that, so much so that we're feeling a tiny little bit overwhelmed. Are there walking tours offered? Although I'm not a huge fan of tours to be honest, it might be our best option given our short time frame (that is if there any good ones around). I'd be interested in hearing anyone's opinions on where to go, tours (yes or no), really anything. I've never been to the Philadelphia and would just love to see as much as I can in a mere 10 hours! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 01:26 AM

2,417 posts, read 4,316,761 times
There are several organised walking tours - google "philadelphia walking tours." Alternatively you could book on a trolley, horse-drawn carriage or duck[DUKW] tour (the duck tour also takes to the river). They vary from 20 minutes for $30, 30 minutes for $40 or an hour for $80. You can get tickets at the kiosk at the Independence Visitor Center, at the 5th and Market Streets stop or on board all tour vehicles.

There's also a mural tour of Philly on a trolley, running Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays.

You can go up to almost the top of City Hall for some great views but you have to book at City Hall on the day for that, no pre-booking.

Or do a little research on the important historical sites of Philly, mark them on a map and devise your own walking tour. Don't forget the Old Christ Church Burial Ground where Benjamin Franklin is buried ($3 admission).

The best place I visited in Philly was Eastern State Penitentiary. Awesome!!!

Old 07-06-2009, 02:21 AM

146 posts, read 354,729 times
visit the place where they signed the us constitution (independence hall) it's amazing, you'll be struck by the sizes of the doorways and the furiture. people were smaller back then. run across the street and hand out by the liberty bell. stand where abe lincoln stood (marked). then hit pats king of steaks (yum!)

Old 07-06-2009, 05:33 AM

27 posts, read 99,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topaz3335 View Post
Alright everyone, my friend and I have 10 precious hours in Philadelphia before we have to hit the road again as part of our road trip schedule. What should we do and where should we go? We're both history dorks (hence the stop in Philadelphia) and would love to have a lot of that incorporated into our very-unfortunately-short visit. The older the better in our minds. We know about the biggies, Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, but there is SO much more in Philadelphia than that, so much so that we're feeling a tiny little bit overwhelmed. Are there walking tours offered? Although I'm not a huge fan of tours to be honest, it might be our best option given our short time frame (that is if there any good ones around). I'd be interested in hearing anyone's opinions on where to go, tours (yes or no), really anything. I've never been to the Philadelphia and would just love to see as much as I can in a mere 10 hours! Thanks in advance.
Tours can be hit or miss, sometimes you get a passionate history dork, sometimes you get a boring person doing it for the money. You have your starting point at Independence Mall (where all that stuff is), so you're a short walk from Old City which was the first buildup of English settlers in the region. There's Christ Church, which was the old anglican Church right by where the docks used to be. Elfreth's alley is the oldest continuously occupied residential street in the US, the homes are that of old merchant captains and are awesome. The first post office and Benjamin Franklin's "house" are interesting too. Lots of stuff I can't remember since it's been ages since I did the tourist thing. There are lots of restaurants and there's a brewery around that area too.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:10 AM

3,299 posts, read 10,753,702 times
A few years ago we had some foreign relatives over for 1 day (~10-12 hours) who had never seen Philadelphia. We took them on our own whirlwind tour, first driving around the city and pointing out interesting things (City Hall, various squares, Love Park, Boathouse Row). At the Art Museum we drove around the parking lot to get to the top of the steps so they could see down the Parkway. Then we went to Old City, parked, and took them on a carriage ride tour, which was pretty fun. We went to the Liberty Bell, walked by Christ Church, Independence Hall, the cemetery right by Independence Mall, and I think took them to the Constitution Center for the show (we take everyone there, so I'm pretty positive). Then we went down to Pat's for a cheesesteak before driving up to King of Prussia. You could probably skip the KoP visit, but they wanted to shop. After KoP we got dinner, talked a bit, and then took them back to my aunt's house.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:06 AM

27,265 posts, read 25,865,265 times
You could take a self guided walking tour The Constitutional Walking Tour of Philadelphia or the audio self guided Philly MP3 - The Constitutional Audio Walking Tour

There's a double decker bus tour as well, nice view from up top. Double Decker Bus Tours :: gophila.com - The Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia

Should you decide to spend your day at Independence Mall and Old City but would like to have a look around before you go, hop on the Phlash bus, $2 per ride, $5 day pass. It's the best deal in town. Phlash :: gophila.com - The Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia

Old 07-06-2009, 07:45 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
it may not be all that historical (maybe it is) but, to get a true feel for the city, you should try to walk along Market Street from Old City (2nd St) to 30th Street Station check out the Mutter Museum of medical oddities (http://www.collphyphil.org/index.asp (broken link)) or along Broad Street south from City Hall to South Street and then walk along South St (http://www.southstreet.com/) back to 2nd stop at Jims Steaks on 4th for some authentic cheesesteaks. i doubt you would have time to visit W. Philly.

there's also the Battleship NJ in Camden. you can take the ferry over from Penns Landing..

Battleship New Jersey

Last edited by john_starks; 07-06-2009 at 07:59 AM..

Old 07-08-2009, 07:11 PM

8,739 posts, read 13,124,571 times
Don't forget Reading Terminal Market. And try some soft pretzels!

Reading Terminal Market › Home

Old 07-08-2009, 08:17 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
You have got to see Elfreth's Alley. Living here my whole life, it is my favorite tourist-y thing to do in the city. Also skip Pat's and Geno's - they suck!

http://www.elfrethsalley.org/

Old 07-08-2009, 09:26 PM

27 posts, read 99,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
You have got to see Elfreth's Alley. Living here my whole life, it is my favorite tourist-y thing to do in the city. Also skip Pat's and Geno's - they suck!

Welcome | Elfreth's Alley : a national historic site
I agree 100%! Sometimes on my way home from college I just walk down Elfreth's Alley and take in Old city before hitting up the el.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or