U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2009, 09:06 AM

6 posts, read 9,277 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I like everyone else am looking for a bit of advice.

I'm a 27yr old Graphic Designer (thomasmattbeckham) in Shreveport, Louisiana. My girlfriend and I are looking to make a move to Philadelphia around February of next year. We don't know anyone up there, but really want to make the move out of the south and up into the east coast. Philly is a much larger city than where we are from and should have a much great offering in the arts and more specifically music. As I also pursue and indie rock band (another reason for wanting to move) and thought it'd be a good location to travel up to New York and many other surrounding cities. We want a much larger "walkable" environment, but know New York is probably out of our price range at the moment.

As far as work goes, I've been employed as a designer for 10 years now, I've been researching but always come across conflicting reports on the job market for designers. Can anyone offer any advice for someone in my boat. Currently making $43,000 as a senior designer, which is way above the average for a designer here in Shreveport. There is absolutely no more room to grown in my town, as I've worked up and up with no where left to climb to with out starting my own agency, which isn't part of my plan at the moment.

Getting into a larger city with more culture and experiences is a must, but for someone who has grown up in the same town all their life, moving across the country with no base of operations to work from seems daunting can anyone offer any help?

- Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 10:01 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
For living, I would suggest Northern Liberties or Old City.

The Old City District occupies several blocks between Front and Sixth Streets, bounded by Vine Street to the north and Walnut Street to the south.[1] The Philadelphia Almanac and Citizens' Manual gives a larger set of boundaries to the Old City area, defined as the area within Spring Garden Street, 4th Street, the Delaware River, and Walnut Street. The Old City Redevelopment Area is bound by Vine Street, the Delaware River, Lombard Street and 7th Street.[2] It is one of the city's popular nightclub destinations for young adults, with its trendy bars, restaurants, lounges, and dance clubs along the three block route from 3rd and Market to Front and Chestnut. Among Old City's traditions is First Friday, a popular monthly event featuring "open houses" by many neighborhood art galleries.

Northern Liberties is located north of Center City (specifically, Old City) and is bordered by Girard Avenue to the north; Callowhill Street to the south; North 6th Street to the west; and the Delaware River to the east (from Callowhill Street to Laurel Street; from Laurel Street to Girard Avenue the eastern boundary is North Front Street). The historical boundaries were slightly different, with Vine Street as the southern border and the Cohocksink Creek serving as the northern border. The creek now flows as a storm sewer under the following streets (starting at the Delaware River and running from southeast to northwest): Canal, Laurel, Bodine, Cambridge, & Orkney Streets.

Old 07-06-2009, 11:33 AM

101 posts, read 353,244 times
i know many graphic deisgn types looking for work right now in philly. the job market seems especially tough for them and many complain that they are getting passed by as too experienced as employers would rather pay less to someone with less experience. good luck.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:10 PM

6 posts, read 9,277 times
@eggtimer, that is what I'm afraid to hear... but I hate to think I'd just stay in place wasting time in a place I'd rather not be in fear of the job market...

that is the question tho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia