U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:37 AM

2,943 posts, read 3,906,970 times

Advertisements

Sad, but unfortunetly, many parts of the surrounding suburbs have the view that Blacks are criminals and dangerous. Philly is one of the most racially polarized places i've ever lived in/been in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 12:08 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,264,860 times
I have to say it but it's not exactly the most welcoming, friendly place/suburb to begin with, no matter the color of skin. I'm a Cauc. and I get the snob treatment in certain areas from other Caucs., as most would in "cliquish" places and cliquish groups of people. I stay the heck out of HV and surrounding snobby burbs because even in stores, they act like their stuff don't stink.
(Sarcasm here but true):What makes some cute tots think they'll be the exception with such people/cliques -- no matter the race?

Old 07-14-2009, 03:39 PM

13 posts, read 30,940 times
And now they're suing the swim club for discrimination. I wonder how much money they'll get out of this?

Yea, it's wrong, but isn't it a little overboard to SUE them?

I also don't understand why some people continue say that African-Americans are the minority in Philadelphia, when the largest % of the population in Philadelphia IS African-American.

Why must they sue over this? If I sued for every time I was denied service somewhere because of my name I would be a billionaire.

I had (I changed it because it caused so many problems) a name of a famous person and even after showing ID to match the name on the credit cards I was using, I've been told that it was fake and I was told to leave to store.

When was the last time a white person sued for not being able to get a scholarship for black people. Why do they even have scholarships for black people - isn't that discriminating against everyone else?

If there was a scholarship for white people only it would be deemed as racist and discriminatory.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:45 PM

6 posts, read 18,015 times
I am not a 'sue' type of person. However, to me this case almost deserved it. (from what I am watching).

I do have to say that as one from Philly, I was sickened. I have not lived in the US let alone Philly for about 16 years...We are relocating back for 1-2 years for medical reasons..but Phily is DEFNITELY racially diverse but so prejudiced towards one another it is unreal. I have lived in the Caribbean this whole time and it is the norm for people's parents to be from different ethnic backrounds. Race is not the issue.

I really cannot believe in this day and age people waste the energy disliking someone due to race or religion or what their parent's believed in.(ie being afraid of a black person). I am praying that this does not turn me off on my beloved city for my next 2 years there. My husband ( who is not from Philly) actually asked me if this is who we will be living near for the next 2 years (those types)?? I just said I hope not.

The other poster was right..other cities (major) and countries don't blink an eye at blending cultures.

I watched the interview or a parent say something about it being a safety issue. I did not believe that for one second. If you are going to be a racist at least be honest about it....maybe they would not be getting sued if they were honest about it...What the ignoramous failed to aknowledge is the white trash type of people (like himself) who would behave this way. Too bad money cannot buy you class or manners.

HV can be snobby..as can other areas-but that was plain wrong.

A kid should never have to feel they are lesser of a human than the next because of their skin or money. or where they live. Those kids will probably always remember that they were turned away..Sure maybe THEIR mom and dads are cussing/talking about the whites that threw them out, and it is a vicious cycle that the kids hear...

Maybe both sides can come to some agreement/learning from it...and be bigger than the problem....

And..I don't use the word African American, Causcasian, etc...I use Black, white, chinese, etc.. It is just a descriptor. I hate when people get all offended by that too...

Old 07-15-2009, 07:17 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fina1 View Post
And now they're suing the swim club for discrimination. I wonder how much money they'll get out of this?

Yea, it's wrong, but isn't it a little overboard to SUE them?

I also don't understand why some people continue say that African-Americans are the minority in Philadelphia, when the largest % of the population in Philadelphia IS African-American.

Why must they sue over this? If I sued for every time I was denied service somewhere because of my name I would be a billionaire.

I had (I changed it because it caused so many problems) a name of a famous person and even after showing ID to match the name on the credit cards I was using, I've been told that it was fake and I was told to leave to store.

When was the last time a white person sued for not being able to get a scholarship for black people. Why do they even have scholarships for black people - isn't that discriminating against everyone else?

If there was a scholarship for white people only it would be deemed as racist and discriminatory.

here we go....

Old 07-15-2009, 07:20 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Quote:
I really cannot believe in this day and age people waste the energy disliking someone due to race or religion or what their parent's believed in.(ie being afraid of a black person). I am praying that this does not turn me off on my beloved city for my next 2 years there. My husband ( who is not from Philly) actually asked me if this is who we will be living near for the next 2 years (those types)?? I just said I hope not.
well, unfortunately this kind of elitist club exists in every affluent area in america. having grown up in new england, there was plenty of this there as well. they just weren't so blatent enough to draw this kind of media attention. i blame the classless parents for making a big stink. they deserve this media hype.

Last edited by john_starks; 07-15-2009 at 07:44 AM..

Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 AM

2,065 posts, read 4,290,092 times
There's an interesting article on www.philly.com by Michael Smerconish, about a woman (I assume white) who was actually at the club (which is surrounded by mostly blue-collar homes from the far Northeast) that day and remembered that the black campers were having a good time and some were even playing with her grandson. We'll never know what really happened. I guess in a few years Toll Brothers will be putting homes on this land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia