U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:17 AM

33 posts, read 99,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/PHILLY/NJ/NYC View Post
Philly is back? No, Philly never left! I am glad the American Commerce Center is being built in Philly. I hope that it gets built successfully without any interruptions from suspensions. I would love it if Philly proposed and approved a couple of other 1000 footers.

Love this response! Damn Right!

I also agree that Philly will grow and gentrify from the inside out. (Center City first and then to the other neighborhoods.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 01:47 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,805,485 times
double edged sword there.

While the moneyed will spring forth from spring garden north, places such as the Oak Lanes and The Lower Northeast could potentially deteriorate. Some say the LNE is already going down.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:03 PM

58 posts, read 178,323 times
Philly needs to find ways to attract businesses to the city, especially finding an important anchor tenant, in order for this building to make sense.

Business privilege taxes and wage taxes are a major turnoff for prospective companies and employees. Lowering both taxes now is difficult given Philly's current budget shortfall.

I fully support the concept of a new skyscraper for Philly, but constructing this building now makes little economic sense.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,755 times
Perhaps a good anchor would be a Philly office of NBC Universal now that Comcast may own the company. It could be a 21st century version of Rockefeller Center and Radio City Music Hall right here in Philly.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:46 PM

388 posts, read 965,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcityluvn View Post
Since I am having problems joining the SkyscraperCity.com forum (they will not accept my username for some reason...anyway they are lame), I will bring it up here. What does everyone think of the new American Commerce Center, that will hopefully be built and has already been approved. The skyscraper would be the tallest skyscraper in the United States if it was finished today at 1500 feet (over topping the Sears Tower by 50 feet). Only the Freedom Tower in New York City and Spire Tower in Chicago will overcome this magnificant building in the near future. I believe this skyscraper is needed to bring Philadelphia back to its golden age of prosperity. What are some of your thoughts on this?

I don't think it will be taller than the Sears tower. Didn't they add some kind of antennae that increased the height. The Sears Tower is like 120 stories. WTC was about 110. Comcast is less than 60 and I thinkt he American Commerce Center will be less than a 100.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:48 PM

388 posts, read 965,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reztrop View Post
Philly needs to find ways to attract businesses to the city, especially finding an important anchor tenant, in order for this building to make sense.

Business privilege taxes and wage taxes are a major turnoff for prospective companies and employees. Lowering both taxes now is difficult given Philly's current budget shortfall.

I fully support the concept of a new skyscraper for Philly, but constructing this building now makes little economic sense.

It should not be that difficult. New residents can be given incentives. We already have deals like that in place. The city should just sell the cost. NY costs way more. Rent is cheaper in Philly.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:49 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,032 times
By the time this building goes up......and it still has a chance......so much time will have gone by that it will have to be completely redesigned to keep it fresh and up to date. If the OP is still around, you want to join www.skyscraperpage.com. because skyscrapercity.com really stinks. Neither compete with this forum btw.

Old 12-14-2009, 05:42 PM

267 posts, read 857,651 times
I was hoping to hear of an anchor tenant by now, but I guess with the state of the economy, no one is making any great moves. The latest rumors were TD Bank or Glaxo Smith Kline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia