U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2009, 11:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,525 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I will be visiting Philadelphia for the first time in August, with a large group for a convention. Can you help me out with restaurant recommendations within walking distance of the 5th @ Market St. area? I would also be interested in hearing about any fun local hangouts/bars in that area as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 09:31 AM

349 posts, read 896,499 times
There are dozens of great restaurants in that area with all kinds of cuisines. Recommendations would depend on your tastes and budget. Some of my favorites include Fork (New American), Tangerine(Moroccan/Mediteranean), Buddakan (Asain fusion), Amada (tapas), Zahav (Israeli), Spasso (Italian), but if you have preferences, we can give you more suggestions.

For drinks, the Continental, Cubra Libra, Plough and Stars or the brewpub, Triumph Brewing Company are possibilities.

You can google any of these names for menus.

Old 07-13-2009, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,525 times
Hey Bookmen,

Thank you for your help. I don't really have any specific types of cuisine in mind since this is for a group of around 25 - 30. We don't plan on having everyone eat at the same restaurant, but we will be in that area that night and want to give everyone a list of a few good options they can choose from in the vicinity. This is a great start.

I would say the budget is probably in the $15-$25 per person range, but nothing like a $50 steakhouse.

I also wondered if there were any good local restaurants around that have a really local feel to them where you can get a good Philly Cheesesteak (or anything other foods Philadelphia is known for... I've read good things about soft pretzels).

Thanks again for the help

Old 07-14-2009, 07:49 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,556,702 times
a new german beerhall opened on 7th and South Street. i went this past weekend and enjoyed it. it has a lot of space and may accommodate a group your size. but you may want to call ahead of time to reserve some space.

Brauhaus Schmitz

also, while you're already on South St, you can stroll downt to 4th and get some authentic cheese steaks at Jim's. btw, South is about 7-8 blocks south of Market if you're in the mood for a stroll.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 AM

3,299 posts, read 10,752,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
also, while you're already on South St, you can stroll downt to 4th and get some authentic cheese steaks at Jim's. btw, South is about 7-8 blocks south of Market if you're in the mood for a stroll.
I also like Steaks on South on South Street (though I have to say that I've never been to Jim's). Pretzels you can usually buy on the street, but if you look up locations for the Philadelphia Pretzel Factory you can go get them while they're warm. The one on 11th Street is probably the closest.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:59 AM

349 posts, read 896,499 times
If your schedule allows, you should go to Reading Terminal Market to sample the local food scene. It's only open until 6, so it's not an option for dinner. Although cheesesteaks have become more famous, pork sandwiches are a local favorite and DiNic's in RTM are very good. You can also get soft pretzels there at one of the Amish stands. (The Amish places are open Wed-Sat only.) For cheesesteaks at the RTM, try Carmen's or Spataro's where you can also get Italian hoagies (don't call them subs in Philly). Reading Terminal Market › Home

Jim's at 4th and South gets the nod for the best cheesesteaks from most of the people I know. Campo's on Market near 2nd is another favorite.

As for dinner, you may be in for some sticker shock. It will be difficult to manage dinner in a good restaurant here for under $25 per person. That's the least you can probably expect, more if you add wine or drinks. For comparison, you would expect to pay $75-$100 at a steakhouse here.

Old 07-14-2009, 10:59 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuffman85 View Post
I would say the budget is probably in the $15-$25 per person range, but nothing like a $50 steakhouse.

I also wondered if there were any good local restaurants around that have a really local feel to them where you can get a good Philly Cheesesteak (or anything other foods Philadelphia is known for... I've read good things about soft pretzels).

Thanks again for the help
Sonny's Famous Steaks - Old City Philadelphia
pretty close to where you'll be
also, a nearby old fashioned ice cream place for dessert
Franklin Fountain: Home

sonny's is a cheesesteak place, not a restaurant per se. I mean, you don't have a waiter or waitress, you wait in line, order your steak and drink, and take it to your seat...which is how most of us eat our cheesesteaks...or from a vendor.
there's also this place
The City Tavern Restaurant And Online Store, Philadelphia Pennsylvania

my vote for soft pretzels goes to the Reading Terminal Market.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:21 PM

596 posts, read 1,547,540 times
There really is more to the Philly food scene than the requisite Cheesesteaks and Soft Pretzels. If you really feel the need to that, I'd limit it to lunch. A great Philly-centric restaurant style is the BYOB. The premise being the restaurant operates without a liquor license, so you can bring your own bottle(s), usually wine, and have a great dinner at a reduced cost. Some of the best, more exciting food is being served in these style of restaurants with some younger up and coming chefs. A few worth checking out in your target area are:

Chloe @ 232 Arch Street Chloe: New American BYOB
Bistro 7 @ 7 North 3rd Street Bistro 7
Fork @ 306 Market Street Fork Restaurant

Though not a BYOB, I heavily recommend:

Southwark @ 701 South 4th Street SouthwarK 4th and Bainbridge - Philadelphia (excellent food, classic cocktails and professional service in a nice atmosphere that's good for groups also)

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or