Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 3,438 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm trying to find out some information on property around the philadelphia area. I'm originally from Morgantown, WV and I'm currently living in Sacramento, CA. My boyfriend and I are planning to move back east in the future and the places that keeping popping up for choices are philadelphia or somewhere in NC. I would prefer Philadelphia even though I don't know alot about the area just because of how close it is to home, and so many different areas. However, the things that we want out of a home I have not been able to find. And maybe for the Philadelphia area the things we want are not realistic, but that's what I'm trying to find out. We basically want a fixer upper, something cheap, meaning $120,000 or less in a safe neighborhood. By fixer upper I mean something that is liveable but needs some work. Also we would like a full basement and a garage. But the big thing I'm having trouble finding is any property with these things and a little land, preferably an acre or more. And no I'm not completely ignorant to Philadelphia, I know we are not going to find this downtown, but I don't know anything about the outlying areas. Is this even a possibility anywhere near Philadelphia? Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 07:08 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Safe and $120,000 with an acre of land? I don't know if you can find that combination even within an hour of Philadelphia. Your best bet is probably finding a realtor to look for you, but my guess is that you will probably have more options in North Carolina.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:35 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
I agree with toobusytoday. I'm a former realtor and can tell you if you want something in that price range with land, you are going to be looking a LONG way from Philadelphia. You would have better luck finding that OUTSIDE of Philly and bump up your price even to the mid $180's - you then might have a chance of finding something close. I'm looking at a place on an acre, safe and NOT in Philly. I'm still looking at paying close to $200K. Widen your search and options. Also, get pre-approved if you are looking to buy, this puts you in a good position when you find something you like rather than find it and then find out you can't afford it. Just my honest advice! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia