U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2009, 06:48 AM

6 posts, read 15,441 times

Advertisements

Hey there, we are a family of 4 moving to Philly within the next two months. I am American and DH is the Swede. I lived in Philly before (went to uni there) and am very familiar with the area.

I will work in University City, my husband will work in Newtown Square, and we need kindergarten/afterschool care and day care for our 2 kids (ages 5 and 2).

I figure we will try to get a place kind of central to start, like the art museum area, and then take the year figuring out where we want to live, centrally or suburbs, and where our son will then start 1st grade. At this point I am expecting kindergarten will be take where we can get.

The other thing is that I will be moving in August and my DH in September. I was thinking of taking the kids with me as my family in NYC will be able to help look after them. I figure I need to get us a place by Sept 1 so we have proof of residence to enroll our son in kindergarten., which starts Sept 11.

But I could also leave the kids here (they have day care here - for two kids it costs about $150 a month - I am going to miss that!!) and then they would come with their dad - after I get everything squared away with living situation and schools for them as well as start my job. So my son would then start school up to a month late, but at least then he will be coming into a stable living situation.

As far as where we would like to live long-term (and maybe even to start) Media, Swarthmore-Wallingford....? If possible to rent a house or part of a house.

I used to live in Germantown and really like Mount Airy and Chestnut Hill as well.

Any advice would be appreciated. Although I will also read the other threads as it seems like there a lot of people looking for the same things.

Any Swedes on here btw? I know there is a Swedish school/group in the Wayne area.

Cheers
Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 02:21 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,483,472 times
you sound like you have a good plan already. the art museum area is quite nice and there's a good number of families. I woudln't rule out spruce hill either near university city.

Old 07-16-2009, 02:53 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,967,012 times
I think you have most parts of a good plan in place. I would definitely consider moving to the burbs to start as the schools are so much better and that commute to Newtown Square will not be fun from the Art Museum area.

If you have school age children, I would definitely start them on the first day - it's hard enough being new, having an accent, etc, etc without also being singled out as the one kid who didn't start with everyone else on day one.

There is a super reasonable, NAEYC (gold standard in the US though harder to find accredited places in PA) accredited preschool in Media - Christ Church Preschool. I think they charge $50/week for 4 or 5 half days. That is super reasonable around these parts. There are also a few accredited places in Swarthmore or Wallingford as well. Check NAEYC.org to find places near where you will be moving.

Also here's a link to a link that will show you school district rankings for the entire state of PA. It is from last year but these positions don't change all that much so it gives you an idea of where the local districts fall.

If you are moving to the city, there are a few catchments with good public schools; otherwise, private school it is.

Good luck!

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...pa-school.html

Old 07-16-2009, 03:29 PM

Thanks so much for the info!

Old 08-30-2009, 05:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,520 times
I'm guessing you are here and getting settled. I just wanted to put in a quick plug for Swarthmore having recently relocated from out of state in time to get my 5 year old registered for kindergarten (I also have a two year old... and an American/Swedish partner). I've noticed a number of rental properties in the few weeks since I've been here so don't rule it out if you are still looking. Feel free to contact me if you have questions

Old 09-13-2009, 07:44 PM

7 posts, read 13,811 times
Default Moving

It is possible to rent a house but I the schoold district in chestnut hill is quiestionable. I would be move to the Main Line because of the schools.

Lynn

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-14-2009 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: Real estate advertising

Old 09-14-2009, 07:56 AM

Update: I have been here over two weeks now. I found a house to rent in Wallingford, not too far from Media downtown, close to a train stop and 3 miles from daycare/kindergarten. We will live here for a year and then see where we want our son to start first grade and where we will settle down. My husband's office is now at the Cira Centre instead of Newtown Square, so we will both commute in. And this now gives us more options on where we can live.

My husband and children arrive in 9 days - can't wait!

Old 09-14-2009, 08:14 AM

4,910 posts, read 12,774,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeisfromqueens View Post

Any Swedes on here btw? I know there is a Swedish school/group in the Wayne area.

Cheers
Dee
If your family gets homesick there is always IKEA, they have a few Swedes working in the store in Plymouth Meeting.There is also a store in South Philly. Good luck.

Here are a couple links if you are looking for things to do nearby Wallingford.

Pennsylvania State Parks - Ridley Creek - PA DCNR

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateParks/parks/ridleycreek/ridleycreek_damedge.jpg (broken link)

Ridley Creek State Park encompasses over 2,606 acres of Delaware County woodlands and meadows. The gently rolling terrain of the park, bisected by Ridley Creek, is only 16 miles from center city Philadelphia

Linvilla Orchards - your one-stop destination for online fruit basket orders, Pick-Your-Own fresh fruits, gifts and crafts for all seasons, farming fun and education for families, schools, bus and day trips, as well as our famous bakery, farm market,

Linvilla Orchards is a 300-acre farm dedicated to agriculture, entertainment and education. We raise our own fresh fruits and vegetables that you can pick yourself or purchase in our Farm Market. Our bakery features our world-famous pies. Visit Pumpkinland, take a hayride thru our fields and orchards, catch a big fish in Orchard Lake, cut your own Christmas Tree or play in our Playland Playground

YouTube - west chester pa

Old 09-14-2009, 09:18 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,854,753 times
You may also want to consider living in the Penn Alexander School Catchment in University City itself. It would be so convenient for both you and your husband.

webgui.phila.k12.pa.us/schools/p/penn-alexander

ETA - you may have to c/p the link.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,604 times
Exciting and Welcome! I personally have a lot of swedish in my blood, but I was born here in America. Best of luck and I hope the transition goes smooth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia