U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 07:50 AM

5,673 posts, read 10,247,709 times

Advertisements

Put a fan on the porch (if it's covered) or in the front window closest to the neighbor and have it blowing out to the street. This will dissipate much of the smoke and it's cheaper than hiring a lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,867 times
If you can show damages you might want to look into Nuisance..

If you can't.. Stop complaining

Old 06-30-2016, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 683 times
I know these websites are full of trolls usually but I've never seen it this bad before. The respondents are literally arguing for the OP to shut up and not complain about a person causing her and her kid's health to deteriorate to the point of cancer! Shame on you all! Yeah, it's a free country, but not to the point that you can kill someone else for your poison enjoyment!

Old 07-03-2016, 09:40 AM

27,270 posts, read 25,874,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSense001 View Post
I know these websites are full of trolls usually but I've never seen it this bad before. The respondents are literally arguing for the OP to shut up and not complain about a person causing her and her kid's health to deteriorate to the point of cancer! Shame on you all! Yeah, it's a free country, but not to the point that you can kill someone else for your poison enjoyment!
One snarky answer. The OP no longer needs an answer since the thread is from 2009, but what would you have suggested? Others said move if you can, talk to the neighbor, run a fan. You think the person should have argued with her neighbor? Sued someone for legally smoking on their own property?

Old 07-04-2016, 07:08 AM

26,452 posts, read 25,387,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsmoker View Post
Thanks, I hate it too. I have asked him, but he doesn't care. My son and his friends can even sit on our porch when he smokes because I don';t want him breathing that in. I wish Philadelphia would pass something where they can only smoke in their house. That would be ideal , but very unlikely. He said he smokes outside so it doesn't go in his house.
I don't like smoking either, however, smoke in the air, won't hurt you nearly as much as the toxins in the air....in our water, in your home from building supplies, dust mites, etc.

I cannot believe in this day and age, that people actually bought the media's fear mongering of smokers....

absolutely embarrassing that people really think and believe, this so called 2nd hand smoke can hurt you. My God, the stuff you eat is full of toxins...

and no, you can't drive a law suit after him, if he is smoking on his own property. I admit, I wouldn't like it if someone smoked and it was filtering into my home.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonSense001 View Post
Common Sense tells you, that 2nd hand smoke is not going to cause you cancer.....there is and has been a great rise in cancers, why? Surely not from smoking, while our medical industries would like you to think so.

When I was a kid, more people smoked then ever before....they allowed smoking sections in restaurants, you could smoke in hospitals, etc.

This rebellion on smoking by left wing idiots is absolutely crazy.

Do you know, or even think about how many toxins are living in your very home.

There is formaldihide in your kitchen cabinets....how bout the glues, they use in everything in your home, the pains, the finishes on your furniture.

Organic my you know what? How in the world can any farmer raise organic food outside without any insecticide, unless you buy from farms that raise their produce in water.

Even water contains arsnic, and other toxins....all the chemicals in our foods, and just b/c they slap a label on it and claim it's organic, doesn't mean it is...for God's sake, they even pay research hospitals money to put out bogus findings...according to agendas.

There are toxins in every deck that is out there, and every time it rains those toxins wash into your water table?

and your going to complain about 2nd hand smoke.

I cannot believe in this day and age, so many people are uninformed.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:24 PM

38 posts, read 32,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Common Sense tells you, that 2nd hand smoke is not going to cause you cancer.
Wow, do you work for Big Tobacco? a 5 second search on Google will clearly tell you that 2nd hand smoke absolutely causes cancer.

I'm not saying there aren't other things that are also going to contribute adversely to your health that are in water/glue, etc., but you have a lot more control over your intake of 2nd hand smoke than you have over the chemicals found in your cabinets.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:38 PM

27,270 posts, read 25,874,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theTimmy View Post
Wow, do you work for Big Tobacco? a 5 second search on Google will clearly tell you that 2nd hand smoke absolutely causes cancer.

I'm not saying there aren't other things that are also going to contribute adversely to your health that are in water/glue, etc., but you have a lot more control over your intake of 2nd hand smoke than you have over the chemicals found in your cabinets.
There's a BIG difference between living or working in an extremely smokey or polluted environment and smelling smoke. I know what she's talking about. Some people think that if they even smell smoke, or someone smells of smoke, that they're going to get cancer and die. You don't get cancer from standing in line behind someone who smells of tobacco smoke.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There's a BIG difference between living or working in an extremely smokey or polluted environment and smelling smoke. I know what she's talking about. Some people think that if they even smell smoke, or someone smells of smoke, that they're going to get cancer and die. You don't get cancer from standing in line behind someone who smells of tobacco smoke.
Thank you!!!!!!

I cannot impress upon people enough about this...I don't smoke, however, there are times it smells good to me, and other times it stinks, and the time it stinks, is usually when you get close to ash trays, where lots of cigs have been put out....but to breath in 2nd hand smoke on occasion is most certainly not going to hurt anyone. For crying out loud, bet these same woman go to get their nails done on a regular basis, or how bout perms? Those smells are definitely cancer causing agents, why do you think the people who work in nail salons wear masks.

Yanno, it's common sense...which most people no longer possess...the media used cigerettes as a scare tactic, to get people to quit....and yes, it's good people quit, but cigs are certainly a must smaller part of the equation, when it comes to cancer causing agents, not to mention, there are less people in American smoking today then ever before...why? Because of the price...and let me also add, I believe if you do smoke, you are most certainly pushing the envelope, but not all smokers are going to die of lung cancer or any other kind of cancer. Common Sense!

Lord, I cannot believe how people not only believe the crap that the media spews out....talk about fear mongers....but then, they were pushing an agenda for years about smokers and they managed to convince a whole lot of people by stating, always, "studies show". But no one ever asks, 1. How long were the studies performed, 2. Who performed those studies 3. What exactly was the outcome and where were the studies performed, what college or facility did these studies??????

People are dishonest, and when they push an agenda, they will pull out all the stops to do so...
I was in NYC, and we had just come out of a show. There were people standing on the sidewalk, smoking, and some man holds his hands over his nose and mouth and crossed the street. Now, maybe he was allergic, but maybe he was just afraid from all the crap the media spewed over all those years about cigs and 2nd hand smoke.

My dad was 86 when he passed away and smoked most of his life....

thank you gerania for your common sense wise post.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-07-2016 at 07:50 AM..

Old 07-07-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTimmy View Post

No, I don't....however, you are exposed to a hell of a lot more toxins from the things I mentioned above then you are 2nd hand smoke. I don't believe how misinformed you are. And the worst part is, you are unwilling to even view any other factor....

You are wrong...you don't have control over any chemicals found in your kitchen cabinets....

Formaldehyde and this is just one toxin....

Is Your Furniture Hazardous to Your Health? 4 Lessons to Learn About Formaldehyde | Gaiam Life

Oh and if you live anywhere near a grave yard, there is a tremendous amount of run off of formaldehyde, from the dead....not to mention, the other rotting toxins that run into the water table.

If you live in PA, in the Poconos, which is a huge area, there is no city water, nor city treatment plants. There is however, lots of drain fields...so, there is a box put in place on your property that collects all the waste water and human waste, which fills to the top, (the solids stay below) and runs off....and leaches into the water tables.

Polize, you want to talk about pollution sensibly we'll gladly discuss...however, you want to complain about a wee bit of 2nd hand smoke, please, go argue your point somewhere else, b/c none of it is realistic.

Oh, lets also talk about land fills.....

Oh, and do some of your own research on RADON...and the radon levels which might be in your home?

Then consider the toxins in pressure treated lumber....my God, there is insect killers in that wood, along with other toxins to help make it last....it is so toxic they tell you not to burn it....and every single time it rains, all those toxins are leaching into the ground water.

Oh, and lest we forget about asphalt...blacktop, for lack of a better word...
http://www.prevention.com/health/hea...ed-cancer-risk

It has been suggested, that dogs are getting cancers from all the toxins leaching into the grasses, from all this stuff and things I haven't even mentioned....and then they lick their paws.
Or you walk your dog on blacktop, and then the dog licks it's paws.

Last edited by cremebrulee; 07-07-2016 at 07:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or