U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 07:59 AM

26,446 posts, read 25,377,073 times

Advertisements

Yanno, what really bothers me is the fact, that dog owners, leave their dogs in hot cars....
or even leave their kids in hot cars...they walk their dogs on hot blacktop, without any regard for how hot that blacktop is....(no common sense) I suggest they take off their shoes, and walk barefoot on that blacktop. I'm making a point here.....this is not off topic

If people don't have enough common sense to figure out, what I've just posted, of course they're going to believe that 2nd hand smoke is the evil doer.

It just amazes me, tremendously how little common sense people today possess. It is aggravating to say the least.

People, you better do your homework, and ask questions before you believe everything you hear on TV...b/c honestly and seriously, no, dangerously, you have no clue as to what is going on around you and you should.

I would hate to live aside of someone who smoked, and some people smoke like chimneys....and yes, that will leach into your home, and I can honestly see where it would be annoying to the OP....
However, some people take this way to far....

Before you buy a home that is connected to another, you'd better make sure, the people in the next house are not smokers.

We lived in a double, and the people next door smoked, and the smell permeated into our home.... so I do know what she is smelling all the time....

But there is nothing she can legally do....but move...which is what I suggest. When you buy a double home, or a row home, there are always problems with neighbors or can be.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 08:44 AM

5,348 posts, read 5,569,227 times
@cremebrulee - I have an air system in my house because, yes, there are so many cancer-causing toxins aside from smoke. But to say that second-hand smoke does not cause cancer for those living in it at work or in the home is ridiculous. It's well-studied and scientifically-backed industry-wide. It's not a political issue, except when it comes to policy. And I don't know how much smoke was coming into the OP's home. I suppose it depends on how much smoke was coming in and how genetically predisposed the family is to cancer from the chemicals in the smoke.

Quote:
Secondhand smoke is the combination of smoke from the burning end of a cigarette and the smoke breathed out by smokers. Secondhand smoke contains more than 7,000 chemicals. Hundreds are toxic and about 70 can cause cancer.
CDC - Fact Sheet - Health Effects of Secondhand Smoke - Smoking & Tobacco Use

In other words, just because I can get killed by getting hit by a car, doesn't mean I can't get killed by getting hit by a truck...and it's not always about politics.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
@cremebrulee - I have an air system in my house because, yes, there are so many cancer-causing toxins aside from smoke. But to say that second-hand smoke does not cause cancer for those living in it at work or in the home is ridiculous. It's well-studied and scientifically-backed industry-wide. It's not a political issue, except when it comes to policy. And I don't know how much smoke was coming into the OP's home. I suppose it depends on how much smoke was coming in and how genetically predisposed the family is to cancer from the chemicals in the smoke.

In other words, just because I can get killed by getting hit by a car, doesn't mean I can't get killed by getting hit by a truck...and it's not always about politics.
No, I am not saying 2nd hand smoke isn't a cancer causing toxin if you are living with it

I'm saying, if you walk by it, it's not going to cause cancer.....if your standing in line, it's not going to cause cancer....

God, when we were kids, they used to take a truck around town, spraying for mesquitos, every week, once a week....and we used to run and follow the truck! We never got cancer, and since then they've outlawed the substances used in that spray. (just trying to make a point....)

and like I said, anyone can write a paper, remember, your reading someone else's ideas....
I have lost two very good female friends both to lung cancer, who never smoked a day in their lives...so?

But the one was a hairdresser....

and my words are not written in stone, there are always exceptions to my way of thinking....however, just b/c someone says, studies show, doesn't mean those studies were performed.

did you know that agenda pushing people actually pay doctors and researches to write papers on this stuff...regardless if they are true or not.

Years ago, the tobacco industry paid people to write that tobacco was not hazardous to your health.

It's common sense, and I believe you know what I'm saying.

If I'm standing in line, waiting to go into a movie, and someone is smoking, that 2nd hand smoke is not going to kill me.

However, if my dad had smoked inside the house and car, all the time, then I would question it.

and yes, it most certainly did become a political issue....and still is....in order to pass those no smoking laws...it becomes a political issue.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:36 PM

4,613 posts, read 6,269,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yanno, what really bothers me is the fact, that dog owners, leave their dogs in hot cars....
or even leave their kids in hot cars...they walk their dogs on hot blacktop, without any regard for how hot that blacktop is....(no common sense) I suggest they take off their shoes, and walk barefoot on that blacktop. I'm making a point here.....this is not off topic

If people don't have enough common sense to figure out, what I've just posted, of course they're going to believe that 2nd hand smoke is the evil doer.

It just amazes me, tremendously how little common sense people today possess. It is aggravating to say the least.

People, you better do your homework, and ask questions before you believe everything you hear on TV...b/c honestly and seriously, no, dangerously, you have no clue as to what is going on around you and you should.

I would hate to live aside of someone who smoked, and some people smoke like chimneys....and yes, that will leach into your home, and I can honestly see where it would be annoying to the OP....
However, some people take this way to far....

Before you buy a home that is connected to another, you'd better make sure, the people in the next house are not smokers.

We lived in a double, and the people next door smoked, and the smell permeated into our home.... so I do know what she is smelling all the time....

But there is nothing she can legally do....but move...which is what I suggest. When you buy a double home, or a row home, there are always problems with neighbors or can be.
Since you mentioned it -- how do you know what blacktop feels like on a dog's paws? In the brutal FL sun, I have taken my shoes off and the blacktop was on fire. Yet when I walk my dogs in the summer heat (which I try to avoid), I walk them right next to the grass and try to keep them on the grass but guess where they walk -- the blacktop!

This second-hand smoke thing is going to rear its head in my condo community soon -- we've had a resident complain that a smoker moved in below him and now the smoke is coming in through the vents and windows. I have heard that other apartment and condo communities have banned smoking entirely, even inside the residents' units, but I think it might be mainly resort rental-type communities. I consider myself lucky my attached neighbors do not smoke!

Old 07-13-2016, 01:01 PM

656 posts, read 306,136 times
Our condo has a smoking ban.

Old 07-13-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Avalon08 Since you mentioned it -- how do you know what blacktop feels like on a dog's paws? In the brutal FL sun, I have taken my shoes off and the blacktop was on fire. Yet when I walk my dogs in the summer heat (which I try to avoid), I walk them right next to the grass and try to keep them on the grass but guess where they walk -- the blacktop!
I have walked barefoot on blacktop, I've worked with blacktop, and I've seen photos of dogs pads, that were burnt on blacktop. If you can't control where your dog walks...well....

https://www.thedodo.com/how-to-tell-...242363093.html

Google it....sheesh????????

Quote:
This second-hand smoke thing is going to rear its head in my condo community soon -- we've had a resident complain that a smoker moved in below him and now the smoke is coming in through the vents and windows. I have heard that other apartment and condo communities have banned smoking entirely, even inside the residents' units, but I think it might be mainly resort rental-type communities. I consider myself lucky my attached neighbors do not smoke!
I wouldn't like it coming into my home either.....

Old 07-13-2016, 03:20 PM

27,263 posts, read 25,854,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Since you mentioned it -- how do you know what blacktop feels like on a dog's paws? In the brutal FL sun, I have taken my shoes off and the blacktop was on fire. Yet when I walk my dogs in the summer heat (which I try to avoid), I walk them right next to the grass and try to keep them on the grass but guess where they walk -- the blacktop!

It depends on the dog. Our Springer Spaniel didn't mind anything. He'd stay outside all day in a snowstorm or the intense heat of August.

Smoke can be a problem in an apartment complex. I can definitely be sucked into vents and drift through windows. Last year, my son talked to a guy who had just moved into an apartment. There was no smoking in the building. Tenants were required to walk at least 25 feet away before lighting up. He lived on the first floor, and every time he walked out into the grassy area to smoke, the woman upstairs would go out onto the balcony and give him the stink eye. He was following the rules, but she still didn't like it. She complained to management because she could smell smoke.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It depends on the dog. Our Springer Spaniel didn't mind anything. He'd stay outside all day in a snowstorm or the intense heat of August.

Smoke can be a problem in an apartment complex. I can definitely be sucked into vents and drift through windows. Last year, my son talked to a guy who had just moved into an apartment. There was no smoking in the building. Tenants were required to walk at least 25 feet away before lighting up. He lived on the first floor, and every time he walked out into the grassy area to smoke, the woman upstairs would go out onto the balcony and give him the stink eye. He was following the rules, but she still didn't like it. She complained to management because she could smell smoke.
yes, there are people like that, and that is exactly what we asked my mom, can you simply smell the smoke, or does it honestly bother you?
There is a difference

again, I blame the media for inciting this fear in people....with their so called, "Studies Show".

Old 07-14-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post

no, it is not ridiculous....sorry but your wrong....people are dying left and right of cancers, all kinds of cancers and orphans diseases, so, now what are the left going to blame for that? Again, less and less people are smoking now a days, and believe me, when I was young, restaurants had smoking sections.

Well studied, huh? Yeah right, I forgot, studies show, right? Do you know that people with agendas actually pay researchers a nice lump sum for putting out these bogus studies.

I don't know how much smoke is coming into the OP's home either, but, common sense tells you, that the invisible Radon is also leaching into her home, along with all the formaldihide, in her kitchen cabinets and in her furniture, plus all the chemicals in drinking water, not to mention, if she uses clorox, and other airisole can sprays.....then we have all the chemicals in foods, plus medications.

Listen, look around you please, and open your eyes....what do you see on TV? Cancer research centers, advertising to come to their facility if you have cancer. Cancer is a huge, huge money making disease. They are making millions off of it. And it certainly isn't coming from 2nd hand smoke.

We all have the cancer gene living inside it...and it can be activated by a cold or virus....which in fact, is attacking people who never smoked a day in their lives. However, my one girlfriend was a hair stylist...and she got lung cancer. We together thought it might be the perms? Who knows? And no one in her home smoked....

I wish people as yourself would wake up and do your own research...honestly, I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, but this business of 2nd hand smoke is assinine.

Yes, if someone is living in it, every single day of their lives, then I would say, yes, there is a chance, but to walk by it or smell it from a distance, people, come on....

You drive behind school buses and trucks who literally stink....

you go get your nails done, and I would say that smell is worse then 2nd hand smoke.

Then you have all the chemicals that are TOXIC that you are ingesting in water and food....please...

Then your also taking medications, even an aspirin contains chemicals....

That little bit of 2nd hand smoke isn't going to do squat.

And what about all the toxins in the air we breath....?

Please!!!!

yes, it may not always be about politics, but it sure as hell IS ABOUT MONEY, and MONEY MY FRIEND, Does TALK.

and where did I say if you live with it every day, you can't get cancer from it...I never said that!!!!
I said, when your out on the street, or walking by it....or a neighbor goes outside to smoke, or your on the beach and someone is smoking....or you smell it coming out from the car in front of you....that will not cause anyone cancer....

Now, if your living in it day in and day out, in the home, in the car, yes, indeed, there is a chance...but...what are the chances....

Old 07-14-2016, 01:22 PM

5,348 posts, read 5,569,227 times
Quote:
No, I am not saying 2nd hand smoke isn't a cancer causing toxin if you are living with it

I'm saying, if you walk by it, it's not going to cause cancer.....if your standing in line, it's not going to cause cancer....

God, when we were kids, they used to take a truck around town, spraying for mesquitos, every week, once a week....and we used to run and follow the truck! We never got cancer, and since then they've outlawed the substances used in that spray. (just trying to make a point....)

and like I said, anyone can write a paper, remember, your reading someone else's ideas....
I have lost two very good female friends both to lung cancer, who never smoked a day in their lives...so?

But the one was a hairdresser....

and my words are not written in stone, there are always exceptions to my way of thinking....however, just b/c someone says, studies show, doesn't mean those studies were performed.

did you know that agenda pushing people actually pay doctors and researches to write papers on this stuff...regardless if they are true or not.

Years ago, the tobacco industry paid people to write that tobacco was not hazardous to your health.

It's common sense, and I believe you know what I'm saying.

If I'm standing in line, waiting to go into a movie, and someone is smoking, that 2nd hand smoke is not going to kill me.

However, if my dad had smoked inside the house and car, all the time, then I would question it.

and yes, it most certainly did become a political issue....and still is....in order to pass those no smoking laws...it becomes a political issue.
Quote:
no, it is not ridiculous....sorry but your wrong....people are dying left and right of cancers, all kinds of cancers and orphans diseases, so, now what are the left going to blame for that? Again, less and less people are smoking now a days, and believe me, when I was young, restaurants had smoking sections.

Well studied, huh? Yeah right, I forgot, studies show, right? Do you know that people with agendas actually pay researchers a nice lump sum for putting out these bogus studies.

I don't know how much smoke is coming into the OP's home either, but, common sense tells you, that the invisible Radon is also leaching into her home, along with all the formaldihide, in her kitchen cabinets and in her furniture, plus all the chemicals in drinking water, not to mention, if she uses clorox, and other airisole can sprays.....then we have all the chemicals in foods, plus medications.

Listen, look around you please, and open your eyes....what do you see on TV? Cancer research centers, advertising to come to their facility if you have cancer. Cancer is a huge, huge money making disease. They are making millions off of it. And it certainly isn't coming from 2nd hand smoke.

We all have the cancer gene living inside it...and it can be activated by a cold or virus....which in fact, is attacking people who never smoked a day in their lives. However, my one girlfriend was a hair stylist...and she got lung cancer. We together thought it might be the perms? Who knows? And no one in her home smoked....

I wish people as yourself would wake up and do your own research...honestly, I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, but this business of 2nd hand smoke is assinine.

Yes, if someone is living in it, every single day of their lives, then I would say, yes, there is a chance, but to walk by it or smell it from a distance, people, come on....

You drive behind school buses and trucks who literally stink....

you go get your nails done, and I would say that smell is worse then 2nd hand smoke.

Then you have all the chemicals that are TOXIC that you are ingesting in water and food....please...

Then your also taking medications, even an aspirin contains chemicals....

That little bit of 2nd hand smoke isn't going to do squat.

And what about all the toxins in the air we breath....?

Please!!!!

yes, it may not always be about politics, but it sure as hell IS ABOUT MONEY, and MONEY MY FRIEND, Does TALK.

and where did I say if you live with it every day, you can't get cancer from it...I never said that!!!!
I said, when your out on the street, or walking by it....or a neighbor goes outside to smoke, or your on the beach and someone is smoking....or you smell it coming out from the car in front of you....that will not cause anyone cancer....

Now, if your living in it day in and day out, in the home, in the car, yes, indeed, there is a chance...but...what are the chances....
You already replied to me and we went back and forth and ended up agreeing with one another. Lay off the coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or