U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 03:33 PM

26,454 posts, read 25,394,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
You already replied to me and we went back and forth and ended up agreeing with one another. Lay off the coffee.
wish I could drink coffee, but I can't....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 06:41 PM

1,452 posts, read 747,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Our condo has a smoking ban.
Really? How did you find such a place? I know this thread is a little old but I'm curious. I don't think there are any smoke free condos/townhomes for ownership (not apartments for rent) in my area. I've tried to find such a place but haven't been able to. Do they actually enforce this in your community?

Old 04-19-2017, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTimmy View Post
Wow, do you work for Big Tobacco? a 5 second search on Google will clearly tell you that 2nd hand smoke absolutely causes cancer.

I'm not saying there aren't other things that are also going to contribute adversely to your health that are in water/glue, etc., but you have a lot more control over your intake of 2nd hand smoke than you have over the chemicals found in your cabinets.
I will buy that if you have a family member that is constantly smoking inside for years.....but not outside...
sorry I don't buy it, plus those articles are probably written by people who fear that it's causing cancer, there is no proof that second hand smoke causes cancer....

this is a diversion from the real causes. You've probably got more radon in your house then what you will get from 2nd hand smoke.

Old 04-19-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
I will buy that if you have a family member that is constantly smoking inside for years.....but not outside...
sorry I don't buy it, plus those articles are probably written by people who fear that it's causing cancer, there is no proof that second hand smoke causes cancer....

this is a diversion from the real causes. You've probably got more radon in your house then what you will get from 2nd hand smoke.
More radon than what? It's hard to compare quantities of different chemicals. You can effectively and easily get radon levels in your home to the point that medical associations deem safe. It's not clear you can do this when 2nd hand smoke is reaching your unit in a multi-unit building. Sure, it's not going to cause immediate harm but if the issue persists for 20 or 40 years, that's another story. This is a risk people who live in such units are taking. Many don't realize it in advance, but you could say it's their responsibility to become informed. I wish there was the option to buy a smoke free condo/townhouse but as far as I can tell, that doesn't exist in my area.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
More radon than what? It's hard to compare quantities of different chemicals. You can effectively and easily get radon levels in your home to the point that medical associations deem safe. It's not clear you can do this when 2nd hand smoke is reaching your unit in a multi-unit building. Sure, it's not going to cause immediate harm but if the issue persists for 20 or 40 years, that's another story. This is a risk people who live in such units are taking. Many don't realize it in advance, but you could say it's their responsibility to become informed. I wish there was the option to buy a smoke free condo/townhouse but as far as I can tell, that doesn't exist in my area.
you can argue all you want, but there is no radiation that is deemed safe, they just say that so as not to start a panic.

I'm not going to argue with the stupidity that the Media has caused all these years. It was a ploy to blame smoking...well guess what....there are less people smoking in the U.S. than ever before, and yet, cancers are running rampid, right alone with children's diseases.

Smoking and 2nd hand smoke is not the problem nor has it ever been.

Find out how many chemicals are in your drinking water, your food, in everything in your home, like kitchen cabinets, furniture...

Just goes to show you how uneducated the american public is on this...just b/c someone says something is causing all these cancers, doesn't mean it is...and when they report on the news, they're big trump card, "Studies show", ask yourself, what studies, who performed the studies, how long were the studies performed, or did they simply pay someone to report that smoking is bad for you?

If you don't believe me, walk into a children's hospital sometime, you'll be floored.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:05 AM

Quote:
you can argue all you want, but there is no radiation that is deemed safe, they just say that so as not to start a panic.

I'm not going to argue with the stupidity that the Media has caused all these years. It was a ploy to blame smoking...well guess what....there are less people smoking in the U.S. than ever before, and yet, cancers are running rampid, right alone with children's diseases.

Smoking and 2nd hand smoke is not the problem nor has it ever been.

Find out how many chemicals are in your drinking water, your food, in everything in your home, like kitchen cabinets, furniture...

Just goes to show you how uneducated the american public is on this...just b/c someone says something is causing all these cancers, doesn't mean it is...and when they report on the news, they're big trump card, "Studies show", ask yourself, what studies, who performed the studies, how long were the studies performed, or did they simply pay someone to report that smoking is bad for you?

If you don't believe me, walk into a children's hospital sometime, you'll be floored.
There's radiation from second-hand smoke too according to the EPA. That said, major medical associations and disease control associations have weighed in on second-hand smoke already. If you don't believe them (which is your right), it's ridiculous to think posters on an internet forum would change your mind. My purpose in joining the thread was to get more info. about smoke-free housing (though it doesn't look like that worked), not to debate second-hand smoke.
I do draw a distinction though between furniture, where you can research the ingredients and decide which ones you are willing to allow in your home and involuntary second hand smoke exposure.

Last edited by PGH423; 04-21-2017 at 06:13 AM..

Old 04-21-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
There's radiation from second-hand smoke too according to the EPA. That said, major medical associations and disease control associations have weighed in on second-hand smoke already. If you don't believe them (which is your right), it's ridiculous to think posters on an internet forum would change your mind. My purpose in joining the thread was to get more info. about smoke-free housing (though it doesn't look like that worked), not to debate second-hand smoke.
I do draw a distinction though between furniture, where you can research the ingredients and decide which ones you are willing to allow in your home and involuntary second hand smoke exposure.
I agree to some degree, major medical associations have lied, as well as the DCA, depends on what political forum they are in agreement with....

I don't expect to change anyone's mind, but am in here posting to learn....however, I smoked, years ago, and now I'm a none smoker.

there may be some radiation in second hand smoke, but there is formaldehyde in most every house hold item. There are chemicals in medications, chemicals in blacktop, which when it rains, the run off emptys into our ground water ways, lakes and streams. There are chemicals in your decks, and in land dumps...there are tons of chemicals in concrete, in building materials, in wastes they constantly dump in our oceans...there is all kinds of chemicals in these products I just mentioned and such a rise in cancers, it has become a very lucrative business. so when you talk about 2nd hand smoke, it's nothing compared to the air we breath, the food we eat and the water we drink and ingest every single day every second of the day. There is natural radiation rising up from the ground, which floats thru homes...there is even a certain amount of radiation coming off of electrical wires....

so, sorry but 2nd hand smoke is minute compared to everything else we ingest.

I just saw a 14 year old shaving her head today on FB....b/c she has ovarian cancer.....

Have you ever walked into a children's hospital and have been aware of all the children coming down with cancers...it is an epidemic....and they can no longer blame it on cigs....and that doesn't even touch base on diabetes, MS, Parkinson's disease, and all the rest.

think about it, that is all I'm asking anyone, wake up people....there is nothing we can do about all this stuff, but it isn't coming from 2nd hand smoke.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...all-around-us/

so yes, 2nd hand smoke can be extremely annoying if you live in a home which ajoins another home, where people are constantly smoking. I wouldn't like it one bit....but I'm not going to be so misinformed to think that I'm going to get cancer from 2nd hand smoke...but yes, it is extremely annoying if you don't smoke and would bother me, yes.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
I agree to some degree, major medical associations have lied, as well as the DCA, depends on what political forum they are in agreement with....

I don't expect to change anyone's mind, but am in here posting to learn....however, I smoked, years ago, and now I'm a none smoker.

there may be some radiation in second hand smoke, but there is formaldehyde in most every house hold item. There are chemicals in medications, chemicals in blacktop, which when it rains, the run off emptys into our ground water ways, lakes and streams. There are chemicals in your decks, and in land dumps...there are tons of chemicals in concrete, in building materials, in wastes they constantly dump in our oceans...there is all kinds of chemicals in these products I just mentioned and such a rise in cancers, it has become a very lucrative business. so when you talk about 2nd hand smoke, it's nothing compared to the air we breath, the food we eat and the water we drink and ingest every single day every second of the day. There is natural radiation rising up from the ground, which floats thru homes...there is even a certain amount of radiation coming off of electrical wires....

so, sorry but 2nd hand smoke is minute compared to everything else we ingest.

I just saw a 14 year old shaving her head today on FB....b/c she has ovarian cancer.....

Have you ever walked into a children's hospital and have been aware of all the children coming down with cancers...it is an epidemic....and they can no longer blame it on cigs....and that doesn't even touch base on diabetes, MS, Parkinson's disease, and all the rest.

think about it, that is all I'm asking anyone, wake up people....there is nothing we can do about all this stuff, but it isn't coming from 2nd hand smoke.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...all-around-us/

so yes, 2nd hand smoke can be extremely annoying if you live in a home which ajoins another home, where people are constantly smoking. I wouldn't like it one bit....but I'm not going to be so misinformed to think that I'm going to get cancer from 2nd hand smoke...but yes, it is extremely annoying if you don't smoke and would bother me, yes.
Fair enough. I'd agree there are toxins everywhere. The amount of risk that's reasonable to take and worth taking is an issue I struggle with a lot actually. I'm looking to buy a home now. There are townhouse communities I love but the thought of my neighbor's air quality (not just 2nd hand smoke though that's a big factor) negatively affecting me stops me from going in that direction. So far I've found something wrong with every place I've looked at though and I'm probably looking for something safer and healthier than you can find on earth.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Fair enough. I'd agree there are toxins everywhere. The amount of risk that's reasonable to take and worth taking is an issue I struggle with a lot actually. I'm looking to buy a home now. There are townhouse communities I love but the thought of my neighbor's air quality (not just 2nd hand smoke though that's a big factor) negatively affecting me stops me from going in that direction. So far I've found something wrong with every place I've looked at though and I'm probably looking for something safer and healthier than you can find on earth.
you gotta do what is best for you, I certainly wouldn't want to live aside of anyone who smokes....the smell would bother me, not for anything more than, I love a clean smelling home...

We grew up in a big beautiful double Victorian home, meaning by the time my parents bought it, it had been divided in half for two families. It was still very large. While growing up, it was nice, we had great neighbors. But, years later, she had a couple buy out and move in beside her, they were awful, smoked, didn't take care of the property, never cleaned up after their dogs, and were just an all around problem. I would never advise anyone to go that route. You want to make certain, that your property will increase in five years, not decrease, you have have to look at the neighborhood.

There is no way to get away from chemical exposures....but you can be selective....I would though never advise to buy a town home and after owning a home, I'd much rather rent....but I'm a woman living alone...and older, and I no longer want the maintenance, or the upkeep.

So, wishing you the best.

Old 04-21-2017, 09:21 AM

33,646 posts, read 15,440,276 times
Get a barky dog and tether it on your side of the porch, maybe your smoking neighbors will get tired of listening to the dog and smoke elsewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or