U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2009, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 15,826 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know if you can sue a neighbor in Philadelphia if the smokes comes in your house?...we live in a row home and I have allergies/ sinus problems so I can't even keep my windows or door open in the spring or summer for fresh air. It makes me feel like I'm in prison. I also have a child and I don't want him breathing it in either.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 11:24 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,851,982 times
Is your neighbor standing on your property while he/she smokes? You can't sue, but you could nicely ask them to move away and explain why. Just don't get confrontational. If they are on their own property (or inside their home), you really can't do anything. Have you considered getting an air filter system? I feel for you, I hate smoke.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:47 PM

Thanks, I hate it too. I have asked him, but he doesn't care. My son and his friends can even sit on our porch when he smokes because I don';t want him breathing that in. I wish Philadelphia would pass something where they can only smoke in their house. That would be ideal , but very unlikely. He said he smokes outside so it doesn't go in his house.

Last edited by nonsmoker; 07-17-2009 at 01:06 PM..

Old 07-17-2009, 01:01 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,964,834 times
So called fresh air is full of allergens so I'm not following why keeping your windows closed is a problem? It is the best way to avoid breathing things that will aggravate your condition. As for outside, it's a free country.

Rather than thinking of ways to get your neighbor back which may result in an escalation of hostility and dire consequences, I suggest you put your house on the market and move.

That's what I ended up doing when my rowhome neighbors became unbearable.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:05 PM

I can't move right now so I'm stuck. Besides, the market is not very good for sellers and I would lose a lot of money on it. I guess that I will just have to kept everything closed. I'm very surprised something can't be done though since you can get cancer from second hand smoke.

Old 07-17-2009, 01:39 PM

33,066 posts, read 61,882,928 times
Another reason not to live in a row house.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:55 PM

it was what I was able to afford at the time.

Old 07-17-2009, 04:15 PM

77 posts, read 246,601 times
i understand you not wanting smoke in your house. but sueing someone for it. thats not right. it just goes to show how sue-happy people are now a days.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:10 PM

13 posts, read 34,348 times
Sounds like you're "sue-happy." Then you could move with the money you took from this poor guy.
I think you and your son should wrap yourselves in a bubble and move to the Gobi.
You want your poor neighbor not to be allowed to stand outside his own home and smoke.
Aren't you just "The best neighbor in the world" !!
Maybe you should sue God because of your allergies.
And sue the real estate agent for getting you a home where there are smokers on your street.

Old 07-18-2009, 03:23 AM

980 posts, read 2,477,324 times
Sorry, I don't have any suggestions but this thread just made me realize that we should scratch row homes and townhouses off our list when we move. Hubby has been against it anyway because he is afraid of what kind of obnoxious people we could get stuck next to (screaming kids, loudmouths, etc.) but I've continued to be open to it. But NOW, after reading this thread I have changed my mind. There is NO WAY I could live with the smell of cigarette smoke coming into my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or