U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 12:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,466 times

Advertisements

My family and I are considering moving to the area from New England for a job in Bala Cynwyd. I’m curious how far from the office I can go while maintaining a 30-45 minute commute. We are considering the West Chester, Great Valley, and Tredyffrin-Easttown school districts, but I have some doubts that those areas fall within my desired commute times. Could towns within one of the Central Bucks high schools fit the bill? Our budget would allow for a $350k home with 3 bedrooms and the more land/trees around it the better.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 07:30 AM

184 posts, read 691,162 times
I'm new to the area, so I'm not an authority, but I spent a lot of time househunting in Tredyffrin-Easttown and now live near Bala Cynwyd. I think you could maybe do it from parts of TE in around 45 minutes, but when I drive out there on offpeak times it seems to take me somewhere around 35 minutes by car to Devon. You might look at R5 SEPTA schedules to get a sense of train travel times. West Chester seems far too far to me -- an hour easily at non-rush hour. I don't know enough about the Great Valley area to comment. I can't speak specifically to Central Bucks school district either, but Bucks County is not easy to get to from Bala Cynwyd -- there's no direct route -- and when I've driven out there it's been at least an hour, and this is at nonpeak times.

Have you considered Havertown or Wallingford or the Media area?

Old 07-18-2009, 09:11 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Why are you not considering the Lower Merion school district?

Old 07-18-2009, 08:55 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Unless you want a townhouse your whole question is kind of moot. You won't get much house or land for that kind of money in the places you mentioned. I second looking into Havertown, Wallingford, and Media specifically then places like Broomall, Newtown Square and Springfield, Delco. West Chester and Malvern are definitely too far although Downingtown and West Chester offer you the best opportunity for the type of house and land you are looking for and the schools are very good as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia