U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:04 PM

427 posts, read 835,381 times

Advertisements

I currently live and work in Boston. However, I've travelled around the country a lot and really like the areas where people are friendly and care about each other as a community. I don't find Bostonians super nice and friendly. I also would like to be around people who are more laid-back.

I would like to move to another area. On top of my list are New York, Philly, and Connecticut. I've heard that the CT culture is more like Boston, so that's out. I really like NYC, however, it's too expensive so I doubt if I can ever afford to buy a home there.

Although I've been to Philly, since I've not lived there for an extended period of time, I can't say I know much about the city. Is it a city where people can just walk up to each other and talk to each other like good Americans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 10:46 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,483,472 times
don't know what that means, but I find people to be generally friendly outside of rush hour. Philly may be a good fit, and it's close to nyc if you like to go up there frequently with bus trips for as littel as $20 RT.

Old 07-21-2009, 12:41 PM

1,776 posts, read 3,679,623 times
In the City of Philadelphia? I'd say it's moving towards that type of atmosphere, but I'd say that Philly is along the same wavelength of Boston and NYC that you won't find people as engaging.

A trade off for big cities, especially on the East Coast, is that people aren't so friendly. Due to the pace of life, crime, and other big city factors, you will find Philly to be that way.

Maybe the further you move away from the city limits, the more you'll get that friendliness factor you're looking for.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
don't know what that means, but I find people to be generally friendly outside of rush hour. Philly may be a good fit, and it's close to nyc if you like to go up there frequently with bus trips for as littel as $20 RT.
Sounds like Philly may be a good place for me. I enjoy living in a friendly place where everyone is nice and cares about each other.

I can take a bus to NYC during the weekend.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZthe411 View Post
In the City of Philadelphia? I'd say it's moving towards that type of atmosphere, but I'd say that Philly is along the same wavelength of Boston and NYC that you won't find people as engaging.

A trade off for big cities, especially on the East Coast, is that people aren't so friendly. Due to the pace of life, crime, and other big city factors, you will find Philly to be that way.

Maybe the further you move away from the city limits, the more you'll get that friendliness factor you're looking for.
I think may be in the long run, I may move away from the city limits. However, I'll need to make a living and the kind of jobs that fit me are all in the cities!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,483,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
Sounds like Philly may be a good place for me. I enjoy living in a friendly place where everyone is nice and cares about each other.

I can take a bus to NYC during the weekend.
It sounds as though you'll want to live in a neighborhood. It's not that people aren't nice to each other in center city but there is more begging and people are always moving around so people are definitely more detached. Research carefully, not all neighborhoods are full of nice people. you'd have to provide more details about what kind of neighborhood you like, perhaps what you like in Boston.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:14 PM

6 posts, read 15,329 times
Depends on what field you're in. Medical/Education, can't get any better. Anything else? Look elsewhere.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:45 PM

1,776 posts, read 3,679,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveAlbuquerque View Post
I think may be in the long run, I may move away from the city limits. However, I'll need to make a living and the kind of jobs that fit me are all in the cities!
Yeah but the thing is that in the city- esp near center city where all the hype is now- you'll be paying through the nose for living space the size of a walk in closet.

A lot of people live out in the burbs, commute to Center City to work and play. There's good public transport to the city for that.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:10 PM

418 posts, read 1,220,162 times
What is your field? Are you single? Children?

If you have a position near a train line you can live in many areas.
There are areas very close to center city that are very friendly.
There is much happening in the city and surrounding area and though NYC is fun is may not need to be every weekend.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
What is your field? Are you single? Children?

If you have a position near a train line you can live in many areas.
There are areas very close to center city that are very friendly.
There is much happening in the city and surrounding area and though NYC is fun is may not need to be every weekend.
My field is investment. I am single. No kids.

Can you name a few areas very close to the city that are friendly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia