U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2009, 09:28 AM

6 posts, read 18,455 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Philadelphia and I was wondering if anyone has any advice. I'm a recent college graduate and I would have a job near Ridley Park. I'm looking for a good area for me to live in. Below is kind of a list of the things I'm looking for in order of importance

Most Important
1. A younger crowd so I can meet some people my own age
2. Some place with an active night life. Near by bars and restaurants

Moderately Important
4. Safe location

Least Important
5. Near by park
6. Reasonable distance to work 30-40 minute drive
7. Apartments for under $1300 a month

If anyone has any advice I'm all ears. I really know nothing about Philadelphia/Ridley Parkk and any help would be greatly appreciated. Any recommendations or really any advice on places around Philadelphia would be great. Thanks for any help you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 09:37 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,472,347 times
live in the city. the only thing I regret was not moving there sooner (I moved at 25). It's a great place for young people. There are some apartment complexes in far south philly (gateway towers, enclaves) that might fit the bill...close to the highway on the south side of the city so it should be easy to get to ridley park yet close enough you can catch a bus to center city, maybe walk to the stadiums.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:24 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,389,936 times
Manayunk would fit perfectly except for possibly the commute to work. University City would be good too, but pricier, BUT your price range seems to fit well. I'd suggest University City hands down. Center City, bordering University City, could work well too, but can be super expensive.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:36 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,746,545 times
Ridley Park is on the train line. You don't say where you will be working, but I would live in RP and you can easily go into the city for a night life. I did it when I was single and loved living in RP.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:10 AM

596 posts, read 1,547,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossjw View Post
I am moving to Philadelphia and I was wondering if anyone has any advice. I'm a recent college graduate and I would have a job near Ridley Park. I'm looking for a good area for me to live in. Below is kind of a list of the things I'm looking for in order of importance

Most Important
1. A younger crowd so I can meet some people my own age

Moderately Important
4. Safe location

Least Important
5. Near by park
6. Reasonable distance to work 30-40 minute drive
7. Apartments for under $1300 a month

If anyone has any advice I'm all ears. I really know nothing about Philadelphia/Ridley Parkk and any help would be greatly appreciated. Any recommendations or really any advice on places around Philadelphia would be great. Thanks for any help you can give.
1. A younger crowd to meet people your own age = Center City
2. Some place with an active night life w/bars and restaurants = Center City
3. Moderately safe (or more so) = Center City
4. Nearby park (lots of them) = Center City
5. Reasonable drive (if you feel hassle free transit isn't for you) of 30-40 min
= Center City
6. Apartments for under $1300 a month = Center City

Center City meets all of your criteria. Trust me when I say living in the burbs as a young single sucks. The hassle of late night to/from where everyone else is going out (Center City) isn't pleasant.

Mod cut - individual listings are not allowed.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-23-2009 at 05:48 AM..

Old 07-25-2009, 12:44 AM

158 posts, read 759,899 times
Depending on where in Ridley Park, you could take the train from 30th Street Station (R2 line) to work. But that really depends on how far you'll walk from the train to your job. If you work at Boeing, for example, it's not doable. If you work at Taylor Hospital, it's doable.

Living in the city and driving to RP will be annoying at times. 95 can be quite a nightmare, even if you're going countercurrent to most traffic.

I live in RP now and recently moved out of Old City (also lived in Univ City for four years while at Penn). Univ City isn't really a good place for non-college students, IMO. I loved my time living there but it'd feel weird to be bumped up against college kids as a working professional. That, and taking 76 to 95 daily is awful.

I'd suggest Old City. It's relatively easy to get to from RP (just take 95 all the way up), super trendy and young, and a pretty nice spot to live. Only real downside is the total lack of a grocery store and you'll be paying $150-200/month for parking...and you'll find you HAVE to pay it. You'll never find parking on Friday or Saturday nights.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:40 AM

6 posts, read 18,455 times
Thanks for all the advice, I've been looking a lot at Center City and am very interested. I'm trying to narrow down where in Center City to live. The two main locations I'm looking at are Rittenhouse Square and Old City. Enviroman you make a lot of good points and Old City sounds like a good place. I'm curious what side of Rittenhouse Square people would suggest as well as whether you'd recommend Rittenhouse Square or Old City based on what I'm looking for. I hear Rittenhouse is a very happening place but it doesn't sound like it's as youthful a place as Old City. Again my two main concerns are

1. A younger crowd so I can meet some people my own age (21-30)

Essentially, I'm moving to Philadelphia and know no one so I'm interested in living in an area where I can meet a lot of people. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether Old City or Rittenhouse would be a better fit also if you say Rittenhouse which side of Rittenhouse. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:33 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,851,982 times
Have you looked in Washington Square West? The neighborhood roughly corresponds to the area between 6th and 10th Streets and between Walnut and South Streets. It would be more convenient than Old City, but has a younger population generally than Rittenhouse Square.

Washington Square West, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-20-2009, 05:54 PM

10 posts, read 25,590 times
definitely live in old city, 19106 zip. great apts for under 1300.00 on third between chestnut and market streets. great restaurants, easy access to trains, subways, buses, I76 and I95! everybody there is mostly your age and active nightlife! Probably about a 25 minute or less drive to Ridley Park!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or