U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:52 PM

5 posts, read 17,745 times

Advertisements

Am I able to park on campus?

or Are there parking garages around campus I can park at?

How much does it usually cost per month/semester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2009, 03:04 PM

418 posts, read 1,220,162 times
Default Info

To give the right answer I have some questions

Will you live on campus?

If not where?

Where are you coming from and how often do you plan to return.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
To give the right answer I have some questions

Will you live on campus?

If not where?

Where are you coming from and how often do you plan to return.
I will be living on campus, coming from Florida.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:24 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,854,753 times
I suggest not bringing your car. You can do fine with public transportation. If you need a car occasionally, check PhillyCarShare

Old 07-22-2009, 03:25 PM

Default Imho

You will not need a car.
A bike would be better.
Public transportation is good.
Every thing but family antiques and pictures can be purchased close by and delivered cheaply.
Most of your day to day needs are within walking distance.
Go to your local Target and window shop then go online to buy and get it delivered free.
There is an IKEA
We have Zipcar and taxi's galore.

The Drexel Campus is a stone throw from Center City and the Museum district.

Insurance and parking are very pricey and can be difficult to find.

Welcome to Philadelphia ... I hope you like it .. And you will need some winter clothes .. very soon after arrival.

Check train and plane prices asap if you are think of going home for Thanks Giving. Train is one day each way. Flying take the whole day with travel to the airport and security.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
You will not need a car.
A bike would be better.
Public transportation is good.
Every thing but family antiques and pictures can be purchased close by and delivered cheaply.
Most of your day to day needs are within walking distance.
Go to your local Target and window shop then go online to buy and get it delivered free.
There is an IKEA
We have Zipcar and taxi's galore.

The Drexel Campus is a stone throw from Center City and the Museum district.

Insurance and parking are very pricey and can be difficult to find.

Welcome to Philadelphia ... I hope you like it .. And you will need some winter clothes .. very soon after arrival.

Check train and plane prices asap if you are think of going home for Thanks Giving. Train is one day each way. Flying take the whole day with travel to the airport and security.
thanks for the suggestions

Old 07-22-2009, 05:02 PM

Just wanted to add .. the Drexel Campus abuts the train station and the University of Penna.
The train is very likely to be within walking distance to your dorm.
All trains local and national meet at the 30th Street Station.

It is a vibrant area full of plenty to keep you busy.
The city has plenty of free events.
Look to the City Paper and the PW

Learn public transportation .. 1111 Market street is the main office/info.
Check with student services about safety and believe it.
Generally a very safe area, there are areas not too far away that are dicey for newbies.
Get a map .. bike stores have great freebees.
The city is a fairly easy grid system.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:56 PM

144 posts, read 520,763 times
Hi, I just moved from Philly last year, I went to Drexel I was at the Center City Campus but I lived and worked around the University city campus. You definitely do not need a car. You can get any where you need to get to FASTER by foot than by car usually. I routinely walked from UC to CC. Drexel also has shuttles incase it is raining or you don't feel like walking.

FYI when I did use my car I parked steet side and fed the meter, $0.25/15 minutes so $1-2 would get me through a class. ( you can't always count on a meter spot though since 3x as many people are looking for them as there are meter spaces available). When I used the parking decks it was daily pay, If I can remember on 34th and market is the Drexel parking deck that was $12 per day and one street over towards UPenn the UPenn deck is $14/day.

Good luck with school!

Also, if you are not already experienced in riding a bike in a busy city, I would not advise it. There were many bike/car accidents a few were very serious. so just keep that in mind. You might want to wait until you have been there for a while and see the roadways for your self. You can rent a bike and try it out also though, do this at the Drexel parking deck on 34th and market.

Last edited by mekia02; 07-22-2009 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: wanted to add observation about biking

Old 07-22-2009, 09:52 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,392,026 times
I used to go to Drexel. It's hard to get parking. If you can get parking, expect to have a lot of money. If you want to have a car, I'd highly recommend a parking spot even if it's not through Drexel, because it's too easy to get tickets. If you can't afford the parking rates, don't have a car!

Old 07-23-2009, 11:29 AM

9,072 posts, read 16,896,555 times
parking can be tough on campus and even tougher if you move off campus

i didn't have a car when I attended the school ....... but my freshman year roomate and one of my other buddies did

freshman year neither really kept their cars on campus - parking was tough to find around the dorms ........ it was mainly meters and streetside parking

on the off campus housing it was a little easier to get street parking, but then there are issues about needing to keep your car moving because of permit issues and the overall neighborhood quality (niether of my roomates had an issue with anything happening to their cars, although one of them received a note from the police 2nd year advising it was a high theft area where parked and would be best to move it)

you really don't need a bike for campus, especially if living in the dorms ...... it's an easy walk to everything

proximity to 30th street station was nice - easy to hop the train to the airport, NYC, DC, atlantic city, etc

i would try it without a car, save the expense and just make friends with a local with a car for convenience trips
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia