U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:21 AM

5,673 posts, read 10,245,988 times

Advertisements

I hope you prioritize your requirements because you won't be able to meet all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 11:41 PM

689 posts, read 2,095,016 times
Okay so.... I checked everything I could find and only ONE thing exsists that meets this criteria. It's a little above your price range though - 295k. It's a townhome in Northern Liberties, 3 bed 2 bath 1600 square feet, walking distance to things, 5-10 minutes from center city, brand new less than 1 yr old nice floors, kitchen countertops, stainless appliances etc.. Thats honestly all there is though (besides 3 other things in Fishtown but they arent as nice). Nothing in South Jersey for that price range either that meets those criteria.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:10 AM

158 posts, read 759,944 times
Remember that Northern Liberties is:

1) Very liberal and full of hipsters (may not be a con to you)
2) Very block by block in terms of safety
3) Very much recently gentrified so you have a lot of bad element still around

It's a very artsy, insulated neighborhood full of bars and hipsters. Not many restaurants have been able to survive there (Copper Bistro and Sovalo gone)...you have more of your North 3rd and Standard Tap gastropubs that draw young, drunk people Thursday-Sunday.

The people that love NoLibs really LOVE NoLibs, though. NoLibs hipsters think that everything in NoLibs, from the pizza joints to the bars, are the tops in the city - take that with a grain of salt though. But you have a community there, that's for sure. And, if you don't mind the fact that it's an area in transition, it might fit your needs. The only other places would be a townhome in University City (46th and Spruce area) or a rowhome in South Philly.

University City is home to Penn and Drexel - and with that comes about 25,000 students. It's relatively safe in most parts near Clark Park (again it's a hipster paradise, gentrified zone so you get a lot of bad element here, too). Lots of pharmacies and restaurants. Relatively good access to CC via the trolley. Some new construction going on currently.

South Philly is different to be sure. The fact that I am Italian and my grandparents lived in a south Philly rowhome my entire life has given me a fairly good representation of the area. Parking is bad, access to CC is mostly via car or the Broad Street Line (a line that I dread taking at night), neighbors are very tightly knit, and new construction is scarce.

You're really going to struggle to meet your needs. You may want to lighten up on the 10 minutes to CC. You'll find more of what you want in the burbs.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:45 PM

423 posts, read 1,115,839 times
It's been a few years since I've lived there, but I can't imagine there being much of anything within 10 minutes of Center City at your price range for 1600 square feet. My guess is you might get a good deal for the lofts at the old Victor Building in Camden--which is, as I understand, an amenity packed building with great spaces and wonderful views of the city for a very reasonable price. The downside, of course (and the reason for the low price) is that it's in Camden, which remains the single most impoverished place I have seen in this country. But, as they say, parts of it are improving.

West Philly (the good parts at least) would be out of your price range, and Northern Liberties most likely as well. Maybe parts of South Philly, Fishtown, or Girard Avenue closer to Brewerytown? Those areas are all still iffy crimewise, but they could improve over the years and an investment there might be a wise decision.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:09 AM

689 posts, read 2,095,016 times
I checked Univ City and S Philly for him as well, because I thought he'd have the best shot there too.. The only problem is size, you def are not getting 1600 square feet in those areas. You're lucky to have a townhome that's 1000.. Also the fact that he wants them to be within 5 years old - they're all a lot older down there. There are a couple new construction areas, but they are either too small for his size requirement, out of "walking distance" to things, or out of his price range if they are in walking distance to things. The one house I found in No. Lib's actually met all the criteria somehow (which I wasnt thinking I would even find!)

Old 07-26-2009, 09:20 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalcedony View Post
It's been a few years since I've lived there, but I can't imagine there being much of anything within 10 minutes of Center City at your price range for 1600 square feet. My guess is you might get a good deal for the lofts at the old Victor Building in Camden--which is, as I understand, an amenity packed building with great spaces and wonderful views of the city for a very reasonable price. The downside, of course (and the reason for the low price) is that it's in Camden, which remains the single most impoverished place I have seen in this country. But, as they say, parts of it are improving.

West Philly (the good parts at least) would be out of your price range, and Northern Liberties most likely as well. Maybe parts of South Philly, Fishtown, or Girard Avenue closer to Brewerytown? Those areas are all still iffy crimewise, but they could improve over the years and an investment there might be a wise decision.

that's a serious downside

Old 07-27-2009, 09:08 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
jersey taxes are insane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia