U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 06:31 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,560,441 times

Advertisements

queen village. i suggest above christian street oe passyunk avenue in south philly by the italinan market.
i think it needs to be a little more gentirfied...check for yourselves

Last edited by john_starks; 07-23-2009 at 06:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 08:55 PM

32 posts, read 96,550 times
Also depends it you want the urban experience or not. If you like the hustle and bustle of the city, I would suggest Wash West (which includes the traditional "gayborhood", but also encompasses many students, families, retirees, etc). You would be within walking distance of hospitals as well as all of the cities amenities. You could probably afford a trinity or basic 2 bedroom condo in a non-premiere building.

I would also suggest Queen Village or Bella Vista. Both are within walking distance of Center City (and are considered, by many, as part of Center City). I do street parking in this area (pay $35/yr for zone sticker) and rarely have much trouble, if you are willing to circle for 10 minutes or walk 2 blocks after parking. Plus, there are many lots in CC for a monthly fee that is more than offset by the property tax savings.

If you are not crazy about an urban lifestyle, then I would certainly recommend Mt. Airy.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:22 PM

689 posts, read 2,095,548 times
If you both want to have cars and parking, why not go a little outside the city and into the suburbs of lower bucks county? Newtown, Yardley, Langhorne..

Old 07-24-2009, 12:49 PM

4,101 posts, read 7,870,702 times
Philadelphia is a very Gay friendly city and has been for years. The Phialdelphia Gay News machines are all over the place and there are plenty of Gay bars in CC. If you have the means, then CC around Pine, Locust, and Walnut Streets are all good.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:15 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,769,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Queen Village or West Mount Airy. I don't know why you need to reference your race. Both of these are racially and sexually diverse areas, so if a racially diverse area is not acceptable to you, then I don't know what to tell you.
you know exactly why she wanted to reference her race. she could have just came out and said it but she was trying to be police. to the OP, dont bother being polite. people will be offened anyway.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:17 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,769,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jog1151 View Post
We are a "white" lesbian couple hoping to escape NJ's outrageous property taxes.

We are looking for a safe neighborhood in the Philly area, or a nearby location.

We are interested in purchasing a 2BR/2BA condo or townhouse, price range 300k - 350k...not sure what that will buy in Philly.

Having a hospital close by would be a plus.

I emphasize the safe part...

Any suggestions?
if you want to be near a hospital (i assume for work), why not look right in center city? you may pay a bit more, but its safe and convenient. you could probably afford a smaller condo for your price range in center city. maybe not though unless you want to pay to park your car, or fight for street parking.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:13 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,391,442 times
East Falls and West Philly at University City or off of Baltimore Ave. are worth considering for what you're looking for too. I've heard of a lesbian couple living in an antique house on a house tour in the West Philly area. You might want to live in a house like that. Very charming, and you and your neighbors can form some deep connections over the house architecture. Expensive to maintain such a house though.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,827 times
Smile Mt. Airy and other safe neighborhoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jog1151 View Post
Appreciate all the info. I had been reading this thread which really addresses some of my concerns
[URL]//www.city-data.com/forum/philadelphia/182878-west-philly-how-far-west-safe.html[/URL]

Truthfully we are not so much concerned with a "gay" neighborhood as a safe neighborhood.

We both have cars...so parking would be a must.

Perhaps we should look in some areas within driving distance to Philly.

Thanks again.
Hi. My partner and I found ourselves in your shoes 18 months ago. We moved to the city from a very rural area and were concerned about a "safe" neighborhood. We purchased a small house in the Andorra neighborhood near Mt. Airy and Chestnut Hill, just south of Wissahickon Park. Seems we got lucky on the "safe" part as we are told it is one of the safest in the city. My partner is a runner and can be seen running through the park or surrounding streets day or evening.

We do LOVE the Mt. Airy area and waffle between wishing we had moved there and where we are. The atmosphere in Mt. Airy is that of a lively, interactive "community" with gorgeous homes full of flair. The streets are narrow and winding with little off street parking and yards.

We settled on the Andorra area for the safety, parking and yards mostly. We both have cars and two barking mutts and decided it might be an easier adjustment to have a bit more space. I am not aware of condos in the area but several twins.

We love our neighborhood but miss the "feel" of Mt. Airy. Going there this evening to Tiffin for fabulous Indian dining. Best of luck.

Last edited by FindingZen; 10-24-2009 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: Publishing e-mail addresses in a public forum isn't recommended... besides the fact that this thread is three months old.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:53 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,303,321 times
It actually sounds to me like Collingswood is what the OP is looking for. Safe, white, suburban, gay-friendly, etc.
close to the city.
close to a lot of hospitals.
Matches her price point.
Collingswood, New Jersey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-24-2009, 06:59 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,926,204 times
keep in mind that if you make say... 60k a year and live IN the city you will pay about 2300 a year in city wage tax + you may double your car insurance.. (at least this was our experience) that more then pays for ALL your higher nj property taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or