U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2009, 08:41 AM
 
418 posts, read 1,220,162 times
Reputation: 179

Advertisements

.. head to center city and have meals and/or drinks in places between 11th st to 18th street .. Chestnut to pine
There are some places where you can get the real scoop as to where you will be happy and welcome.
The area is teeming .. diverse .. and is also the heart of the gayborhood
You will be surrounded by Jefferson ... Pennsylvania ... HUP and Hannaman Hospital-S
It is a very busy area but .. you won't NEED a car .. you can join ZipCar and use taxi's .. it will be cheaper than a car. If you want to shop at a big food market .. walk or take the bus and get a cab back .. cheaper and easier than trying to park.

And you are right .. there are some areas that you would stick out like a glow lite .. But not in or near center city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2009, 10:35 AM
 
Location: South Philly
1,943 posts, read 6,303,789 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
keep in mind that if you make say... 60k a year and live IN the city you will pay about 2300 a year in city wage tax + you may double your car insurance.. (at least this was our experience) that more then pays for ALL your higher nj property taxes.
Except it doesn't really because your property taxes should be, at most, $2000 per year (mine are a little less than $500) and you won't need two cars anymore (or any car at all).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2009, 06:28 PM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times
Reputation: 2738
I'd say that the heart of the "gayborhood" - primarily Washington Square West - might be a little further east: maybe 8th to 13th Sts. The north/south boundaries are about right. It also might be a little tough finding a 2BR/2BA in their range, though. I do agree that the OP and her partner should feel comfortable through virtually all of Center City.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
.. head to center city and have meals and/or drinks in places between 11th st to 18th street .. Chestnut to pine
There are some places where you can get the real scoop as to where you will be happy and welcome.
The area is teeming .. diverse .. and is also the heart of the gayborhood
You will be surrounded by Jefferson ... Pennsylvania ... HUP and Hannaman Hospital-S
It is a very busy area but .. you won't NEED a car .. you can join ZipCar and use taxi's .. it will be cheaper than a car. If you want to shop at a big food market .. walk or take the bus and get a cab back .. cheaper and easier than trying to park.

And you are right .. there are some areas that you would stick out like a glow lite .. But not in or near center city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2009, 08:11 PM
 
1,509 posts, read 1,392,026 times
Reputation: 842
DE and Montgomery county are also worth looking into in addition to Lower Bucks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2009, 09:02 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia,New Jersey, NYC!
6,967 posts, read 18,561,872 times
Reputation: 2669
gayborhood is overrated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-25-2009, 11:50 PM
 
Location: South Philly
1,943 posts, read 6,303,789 times
Reputation: 648
Gayborhood ~ Juniper to 11th from Chestnut to Pine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 08:02 AM
 
418 posts, read 1,220,162 times
Reputation: 179
Default clarification on my part

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I'd say that the heart of the "gayborhood" - primarily Washington Square West - might be a little further east: maybe 8th to 13th Sts. The north/south boundaries are about right. It also might be a little tough finding a 2BR/2BA in their range, though. I do agree that the OP and her partner should feel comfortable through virtually all of Center City.
I am not suggesting only this grid for living ..

I would think they could find a place to live for the 1/4 mill plus they say is the budget.
I am saying they will find like minded people who can offer more detailed info in the areas I have mentioned.
The area you mention is fairly new in the scheme of the gayborhood.
There are plenty of areas that ring center city that are great and convenient.
In the city a single block either way can be good or not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 09:43 AM
 
8,048 posts, read 18,476,341 times
Reputation: 2738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
I am not suggesting only this grid for living ..

I would think they could find a place to live for the 1/4 mill plus they say is the budget.
I am saying they will find like minded people who can offer more detailed info in the areas I have mentioned.
The area you mention is fairly new in the scheme of the gayborhood.
There are plenty of areas that ring center city that are great and convenient.
In the city a single block either way can be good or not so much.
I see what you're saying now. I don't know how the gayborhood was defined before I strolled through it starting in the mid-90's but you may well be right. In any case, we definitely agree that Center City - and possibly some periphery neighborhoods - would be comfortable as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 10:37 AM
 
Location: South Jersey
7,780 posts, read 18,927,795 times
Reputation: 2329
$60k a year for one person is not that much. Id bet they make more then twice that with both working.. Then the city wage will kill ya. Like it did for us..

something to think about


Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Except it doesn't really because your property taxes should be, at most, $2000 per year (mine are a little less than $500) and you won't need two cars anymore (or any car at all).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 12:07 PM
 
Location: South Philly
1,943 posts, read 6,303,789 times
Reputation: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
$60k a year for one person is not that much. Id bet they make more then twice that with both working.. Then the city wage will kill ya. Like it did for us..

something to think about
I'm guessing you meant that $60k/year for a couple is not that much. The median household income for the metro is ~$55k/year. That means that half the households make less.

Making $120k/year would put you in at least the top 20% of households in the metro.

If, for the sake of argument, you and your partner make $100k/year then you're paying $3900 in wage taxes. Assuming that you're living in an older property that doesn't have the 10-year tax abatement and you're paying $1500/year in property taxes - That puts you at $5400 for the year . . . for the city tax burden. Based on a 1/4 acre suburban lot and a $300k house on it, that sounds about average to me for a suburban property tax bill.

The time and money I don't spend every year on maintaining my yard more than makes up for the extra sales tax you pay in the city.

Now, subtract the cost of owning a second car - which, even if you don't drive it much, should still run you about $6000/year and you've neutralized your tax burden altogether. AAA Newsroom (http://www.aaanewsroom.net/main/Default.asp?CategoryID=4&ArticleID=437 - broken link)

Unless you're working the suburbs or at odd hours you can get rid of both cars and pay the annual fees to join both PhillyCarShare and Zipcar and use them both heavily and you should still be ahead an additional $3000.

To be honest, my first 6 months in the city I wasn't really happy to be here and was thinking about moving back to Collingswood. After the first year the place had grown on me and after 18 months I couldn't imagine moving back to the 'burbs.

I'm a reasonably intelligent guy, as are most of my friends. We all live here by choice. If it wasn't clear to me that there was more money in my pocket at the end of each year and that my QOL wasn't better overall, I would have left a long time ago.

All that said - the city isn't for everyone and, from the sounds of it, the OP would be happier in a place like Collingswood or Narberth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top