U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 08:37 AM

89 posts, read 318,394 times

Advertisements

We are a "white" lesbian couple hoping to escape NJ's outrageous property taxes.

We are looking for a safe neighborhood in the Philly area, or a nearby location.

We are interested in purchasing a 2BR/2BA condo or townhouse, price range 300k - 350k...not sure what that will buy in Philly.

Having a hospital close by would be a plus.

I emphasize the safe part...

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 10:09 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,854,269 times
Queen Village or West Mount Airy. I don't know why you need to reference your race. Both of these are racially and sexually diverse areas, so if a racially diverse area is not acceptable to you, then I don't know what to tell you.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:02 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,479,561 times
don't know what condo prices are but you could live in the gayborhood which is right by jefferson. it's a really nice area and plenty to do.

Old 07-23-2009, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Queen Village or West Mount Airy. I don't know why you need to reference your race. Both of these are racially and sexually diverse areas, so if a racially diverse area is not acceptable to you, then I don't know what to tell you.
Thanks for the info...at the risk of not being "PC", let me answer your question.

I have seen many posters list similar queries, identifying themselves as Hispanic, African American, Senior Citizens, Gay...you get the picture, and I have not read one respondant asking why the poster referenced their race, ethnicity, etc.

Would it be so off base to say that there are just some areas of Philly that a "white girl" does not belong in....

Old 07-23-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jog1151 View Post
Thanks for the info...at the risk of not being "PC", let me answer your question.

I have seen many posters list similar queries, identifying themselves as Hispanic, African American, Senior Citizens, Gay...you get the picture, and I have not read one respondant asking why the poster referenced their race, ethnicity, etc.

Would it be so off base to say that there are just some areas of Philly that a "white girl" does not belong in....
Maybe just ask about a safe area - where anyone can be comfortable. The sad thing is many of the "white" areas would also be "anti-gay" (I'm not saying everyone, but there are some who are). You would probably get the same suggestions already given. That being said, no matter where you are in a big city, you have to use common sense. The areas I gave you - Queen Village which is just south of Society Hill (eastern end of center city (easy 10 minute walk) and West Mt. Airy (easy train access) are both areas you would be very comfortable. The gayborhood (Washington Square West), as suggested is another, but I believe there are more gay men there than lesbians (but I could be wrong - and it's right in center city,whch is great). I would suggest you come into the city and walk around the areas (especially QV and WSW and see how you feel about them. You could also drive to West Mt. Airy and check that out as well.

This decision could also depend on where you work and if you need a car. You are better off not having one in QV or WSW. Parking is expensive and can be difficult to find.

Good luck.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Maybe just ask about a safe area - where anyone can be comfortable. The sad thing is many of the "white" areas would also be "anti-gay" (I'm not saying everyone, but there are some who are). You would probably get the same suggestions already given. That being said, no matter where you are in a big city, you have to use common sense. The areas I gave you - Queen Village which is just south of Society Hill (eastern end of center city (easy 10 minute walk) and West Mt. Airy (easy train access) are both areas you would be very comfortable. The gayborhood (Washington Square West), as suggested is another, but I believe there are more gay men there than lesbians (but I could be wrong - and it's right in center city,whch is great). I would suggest you come into the city and walk around the areas (especially QV and WSW and see how you feel about them. You could also drive to West Mt. Airy and check that out as well.

This decision could also depend on where you work and if you need a car. You are better off not having one in QV or WSW. Parking is expensive and can be difficult to find.

Good luck.
Appreciate all the info. I had been reading this thread which really addresses some of my concerns
//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...west-safe.html

Truthfully we are not so much concerned with a "gay" neighborhood as a safe neighborhood.

We both have cars...so parking would be a must.

Perhaps we should look in some areas within driving distance to Philly.

Thanks again.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:17 PM

596 posts, read 1,547,847 times
Quote:
We are a "white" lesbian couple hoping to escape NJ's outrageous property taxes.

We are looking for a safe neighborhood in the Philly area, or a nearby location.

We are interested in purchasing a 2BR/2BA condo or townhouse, price range 300k - 350k...not sure what that will buy in Philly.

Having a hospital close by would be a plus.

I emphasize the safe part...

Any suggestions?
I am a gay white male who has lived in the city for six years.

I would recommend West Mount Airy. The neighborhood is very liberal with the highest concentration of lesbian couples in the city. It's quite safe and walkable. It feels much like a place deep into the suburbs but you're close to downtown. The neighborhood has a great food coop also. Chestnut Hill Hospital, a division of UPENN Healthcare is nearby.

Home - Chestnut Hill Health System

You can get a lot more home for your price here than other high end neighborhoods in the city because it's not as close to Center City, which many find a perk. Yet it's an easy walk to any of three/four SEPTA stations to catch a train that'll get you into any of the three major stations in Center City.

Prudential Fox and Roach - Home Search / Property Profile (http://www.prufoxroach.com/search/search_results_profile.cfm?propID=0bb466fb-3f6c-4030-a5f8-fcdf57ef019c&propNo=4&sortby=1&pagestart=1&startro w=1&displaycount=20 - broken link)
Prudential Fox and Roach - Home Search / Property Profile (http://www.prufoxroach.com/search/search_results_profile.cfm?propID=0f875905-afe0-4bd7-a639-aaedbaa62b58&propNo=9&sortby=1&pagestart=1&startro w=1&displaycount=20 - broken link)
Prudential Fox and Roach - Home Search / Property Profile (http://www.prufoxroach.com/search/search_results_profile.cfm?propID=d1acd8e2-6ffb-4f37-9963-a6b79cb6238d&propNo=13&sortby=1&pagestart=1&startr ow=1&displaycount=20 - broken link)

Old 07-23-2009, 04:19 PM

596 posts, read 1,547,847 times
Quote:
Appreciate all the info. I had been reading this thread which really addresses some of my concerns
//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...west-safe.html

Truthfully we are not so much concerned with a "gay" neighborhood as a safe neighborhood.

We both have cars...so parking would be a must.

Perhaps we should look in some areas within driving distance to Philly.

Thanks again.
The parking situation in West Mt Airy is unique in that it's actually available on the street. Unusual for Philadelphia.

Old 07-23-2009, 05:13 PM

If you need a car, I definitely agree with the West Mt. Airy recommendation.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:23 PM

Thanks everybidy, you gave me lots of very good info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or