U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 09:31 AM

9 posts, read 32,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
You get what you pay for.
I think you are asking a lot of your wife so that you can go to lawschool. Have you stopped to consider her needs at all in your decision making process? Where is she meant to go with your 1 year old? Is it not important that she feel safe enough to get out and about with your kid?

Ask your employer if you can pay the difference to live somewhere better for your family. I have a feeling that unless your wife is unusually compliant and understanding, you may have some rocky times ahead.

If I agreed to move to sketchs'ville for my dh it would only be after much discussion and weighing of options.
That's been covered. Thanks for the digressing sermon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 07:23 PM

125 posts, read 228,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overman View Post
That's been covered. Thanks for the digressing sermon.
He's just trying to give you advice. You know, the advice you asked for. I've been to that block and it's not the nicest.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:29 AM

992 posts, read 3,288,045 times
I would get a carrying permit.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,046 times
As a retired Philly cop who put many years in the 23rd District, I have seen a transformation from the early '70s to now that I would have to say is phenominal.
Historically, that area was once outside (pre 1856) the inital boundaries of the city. It was a 'summer retreat' for many prominent Philadelphians who built huge mansions, as well as large brownstone 'rowhomes'. St. Joseph's Hospital (16th & Girarad) and St. Josph's Preparatory College (17th & Girard) have anchored the neighborhood for over 150 years.
You can go to PPDonline.org to see recent crime statistics for the area.

So, Welcome to Philly! It really isn't as bad as you might read about. When you get here, email me and I'll give you a tour.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldblum57 View Post
He's just trying to give you advice. You know, the advice you asked for. I've been to that block and it's not the nicest.
I asked for advice on the neighborhood, not advice on how to appropriately consider the emotional needs of my wife.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:21 AM

And P.S.:

My neighborhood is not bad at all. It gets a little rough a few blocks away, but my area is just fine. My wife and I feel safe and we really like how close it is to everything. Not many white faces around, if you care about those things, but it doesn't matter to us at all. We really dig it here.
P

Old 08-11-2009, 12:54 PM

27,270 posts, read 25,874,276 times
Glad to hear that's working out.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:20 PM

418 posts, read 1,220,036 times
Welcome to Philadelphia
Like most places .. not perfect but perfectly good.
There are two free papers that give lots of information on how to spend your time.
You are not far from the zoo and many museums.
Public transport may serve you fairly well.
Taxi's may take you door to door for the same cost as parking.
Without the hassle.
You are close enough to take the stroller and see some of the cities best architecture.
The main Library is close.
The community college should have child care or nursing classes that would be a perfect start for finding sitters.
I hope you enjoy your stay.

For food there is the Reading Terminal Market .. Trader Joe's and Whole foods.
"China Town" is also very close .
Buying wine however is in ths dark ages.
There is a fairly good store near the Marriot

Old 08-12-2009, 11:02 PM

2 posts, read 3,811 times
I'm a graduate student considering living on 15th and Girard myself. Lived in the same small town my entire life. Maybe your wife and I can stick together when you're not around!

Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,811 times
(Oh, ps, I'm a female lol)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia