Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2009, 03:46 PM

6 posts, read 17,752 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

What are some nice areas near Widener for a family?

Our situation is looking like this: childcare near Widener, husband work in Newtown Square and I would work in University City.

I guess we could live in Swarthmore, Media, Wallingford areas (others?) to make this work.

Our goal would be to have as short a day for the kids at daycare (right now this location is our best option - so many places are full already). But we are still looking.

And we would do this for a year until we figure out where it is we really want to live and where our kids would go to school.

THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 05:07 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,680,436 times
you hit all the places near Widener that are super nice pretty much. Other places are farther away. depending on what more exactly you are looking for and how far you can travel, what you can afford, etc. could limit or expand your options.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,100 times
Wallingford, Swarthmore, Media, Ridley Park, Springfield Delco, Morton, Havertown, Broomall, Newtown Square

Check out naeyc.org and under accreditation you can put in Widener's zip and it will spit out accredited (best daycares and a good place to start) daycares nearby.

Wallingford-Swarthmore has several accredited daycares, I wouldn't hesitate to use either one.

If you don't have much luck at naeyc, check out pakeys.org and try to pick a 3 or 4 star place. Of course you need to go in person, do the tour and get a feel for where your child will be spending their days.

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2009, 11:34 PM

158 posts, read 814,496 times
If you're working at Penn, you could easily find Penn-supported daycare for employees.

Penn Children's Center

Living in Morton, Ridley Park, Swarthmore, or Wallingford would be a good location (R3 train) that isn't really far from Newtown Square.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:25 AM

6 posts, read 17,752 times
Thanks everyone!

The Penn Children's Center has a 12-18 month waiting list Plus I need kindergarten for my 5 year old.

This feels all so complicated - we are considering me not taking the job and just my husband taking his (it is a transfer) just so I can get the family settled and get my 5 year old set up in kindergarten.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:49 AM

158 posts, read 814,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeisfromqueens View Post
Thanks everyone!

The Penn Children's Center has a 12-18 month waiting list Plus I need kindergarten for my 5 year old.

This feels all so complicated - we are considering me not taking the job and just my husband taking his (it is a transfer) just so I can get the family settled and get my 5 year old set up in kindergarten.
What kind of job is it at Penn? I attended Penn and I worked there...it's not as if it's a super high paying organization. There are perks (37.5 hours/week for most staff jobs that are salaried) but if you think it'd be a detriment for your child, why do it?

Old 07-25-2009, 12:35 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,344,730 times
Add Rutledge to the area. It's right outside of Swarthmore and Springfield, is on the train line, and is such a small family-oriented communiy (about 600 residents) that I think would fit well with a young family.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:12 AM

274 posts, read 1,400,885 times
Springfield is a good area and close to the train if you do keep working in Uni City. Still easy to commute to Newtown Square, and the housing prices are less expensive than NS, Swarthmore, Wallingford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia