Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,286 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm moving to 12th and Chestnut in a week to attend Rutgers Law across the river; I'm pretty much reliant on PATCO to get to and from school/the-institutionalized-hazing-that-is-law-school. I really on got to wander around Philly for a few days, so I have a couple questions:

First off, and this one is important, am I going to get shanked using PATCO after a long night in the law library? (Though I probably will want to die at that point shouldn't influence your decision.) If so, will I get stabbed in Camden first, or when I get off the nearest PATCO stop to Center City? When I went on the weekend, the system looked pretty empty, so it has me nervous.

Second, where does one buy groceries in Center City or more specifically around 12th and Chestnut? I didn't see much in the way of easy to get too food stores, but then again, I only wandered around for half a day.

Any other advice for a student living in the area would be -greatly- appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 10:15 AM

744 posts, read 774,507 times
You should be fine on Patco. Can't be too careful though, so be aware of your surroundings at all times. That section of Camden (Rutgers to Patco) is generally pretty safe as well. That is the only part of Camden I would walk around in. However I have only walked that area during the day and can't vouch for its nighttime safety. You might want to study in Philly after classes. If you must be in a library you could probably study at Jenkins law library which is very close to your apartment.

I live in south philly so i'm not to sure about grocery stores in that area. It looks like there is a superfresh at 5th and spruce. You might want to take a bus back but that is fairly close. There will be tons of little shops that you can buy basics (bread/milk) if you run out.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:18 AM

360 posts, read 992,709 times
I can't tell you about PATCO, but the closest grocery stores are at 10th and South, a SuperFresh and a Whole Foods. The other option for produce and meats is Reading Terminal Market, with lots of options for good butchers and greengrocers there as well as great prepared foods.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:31 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
FYI

Reading Terminal Market › Home

Old 08-08-2009, 01:52 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Reading Terminal Market will be your friend. also worth noting, there's a 7-11 on the corner 9cheap milk and eggs) and on walnut (1300 block) there are two small markets that sell pretty good produce and dry goods (VIP which also has beer and specializes in Asian things as well as having a salad bar for lunch) and Citi Market (which is a bit higher end and sell sandwiches and such). both are better markets than the one closer to you call green market or something on chestnut. there's a prepared foods place at 13th and chestnut called Grocery, a little pricey, but good (for prepared foods...dry goods are too expensive). there's also a walgreen's at 11th and locust that's new and pretty nice. Lastly, 10th and MArket is a KMArt (there's also a CVS at 11th and MArket and Ride Aid at tenth). in short, it's pretty convenient place to live for most things.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:05 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,677,377 times
There are also many medium sized Asian grocery stores in Chinatown near you too. There won't be humoungous ones because it's expensive, but I'm surprised Chinatown even has medium sized stores, which says a lot of good things.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:37 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,528,381 times
PATCO is very safe

Old 08-10-2009, 11:58 AM

33 posts, read 106,541 times
I use PATCO everyday and have never had any problems. I have only taken the train late once and I too was a little apprehensive about the ride through Camden- especially as I was wearing a nice suit. Turns out, the train was full of a bunch rich teenage girls from the suburbs... I then felt a little silly about being so worried.... The Patco stations in Philly are all in safe neighborhoods.

As for grocery stores- yup, 10th and South is where you'll want to go. As for the important things: The Wine and Spirits store is on Chestnut between 12th and 13th. For beer, head to the Foodery on 10th and pine. (Once there, I recommend Turbo Dog for your dark beer and Fin du Monde for your light beer....) :-)

As for coffee: There is a Starbucks on 12th and Walnut. But, the little place on 11th and Spruce has the best damn coffe in the city!

Welcome!

Old 08-13-2009, 06:57 PM

47 posts, read 144,838 times
I live in Camden and its perfectly fine. Yeah they maybe gangs and crime but Philly has it, too. PATCO is fine by the way. I live near Ferry Ave Station. I haven't been shanked nor have anyone I've met since I don't hang around with thugs and gangsters. I have walked home from my mom's house 11pm at night. I have been living in Camden since 2005! The only time I am scared is walking under the underpass of the PATCO train. I am more scared to be in Philly in the concourse under ground than Camden!

Old 08-14-2009, 05:54 AM

212 posts, read 610,362 times
PATCO is safe but be aware of your surroundings as you would be anywhere late at night; stay off the cell phone, don't listen to music, etc. and it never hurts to ride in the first car where the train driver is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: