Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 8,341 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

It is very likely that I will be relocating my family from Houston to the Philadelphia area. Specifically, I will be working in Horsham.

I am looking for a community that has excellent schools, (this is my top priority) close to great grocery stores that offer specialty foods for food allergies (whole foods etc..), has a lot of school age kids,young families, plenty of activities for kids (swimming, dance, theater classes, gymnastics, sports etc.), parks, decent suburb type restaurants, and a 20 minute commute to work. Housing price range from $400-$500 K.

I have been searching the web and found a few areas. Can someone please provide me with some insight to the surrounding area? If you know of any other great areas, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Yardley, Newtown, Chalfont, Warrington, Horsham and Doylestown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 06:34 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Haddonfield New Jersey

http://www.haddonfieldnj.org/

Old 07-19-2009, 06:36 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
Quite a distance from Horsham. Jenkintown would be a good choice.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:42 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,555,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Quite a distance from Horsham. Jenkintown would be a good choice.
Thats true, did not notice she had said Horsham.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:46 PM

Thanks. That's a start!

Old 07-20-2009, 06:11 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sewred09 View Post
Hi everyone,

It is very likely that I will be relocating my family from Houston to the Philadelphia area. Specifically, I will be working in Horsham.

I am looking for a community that has excellent schools, (this is my top priority) close to great grocery stores that offer specialty foods for food allergies (whole foods etc..), has a lot of school age kids,young families, plenty of activities for kids (swimming, dance, theater classes, gymnastics, sports etc.), parks, decent suburb type restaurants, and a 20 minute commute to work. Housing price range from $400-$500 K.

I have been searching the web and found a few areas. Can someone please provide me with some insight to the surrounding area? If you know of any other great areas, please let me know. Thanks in advance!

Yardley, Newtown, Chalfont, Warrington, Horsham and Doylestown.
Of the ones you have listed, Yardley is the furthest away, the others are all within a reasonable commute, though prevailing conditions might stretch things past 20 minutes, especially from Doylestown or Newtown. I'd add Upper Dublin to your list - great schools, close commute, they run a series of year-round activities for kids, decent amenities. You might also look at Abington.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:51 AM

203 posts, read 561,536 times
Horsham or Doylestown would work.
Doylestown has a bit more of a towne centre.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:27 PM

274 posts, read 1,400,521 times
The towns you've mentioned would all be good choices to explore. I'm sure you will find something to your liking. All the school districts are pretty strong as well. Yardley and Newtown would be furthest away and are a bit more "rural-ish" than the other areas. Concentrate on Horsham, Warrington and Doylestown and add in Abington.

Old 07-24-2009, 05:32 PM

Thanks everyone. I will start looking at Abington and Warrington as well.

Old 07-25-2009, 12:11 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
The townships you suggest are all in Bucks county. If you move you search to the west a bit you will find Montgomery county has a bit lower taxes and car insurance. Both counties have an abundance of the items you mentioned.

A Whole Foods, (I think is has a new name), is located in Montgomeryville at 309 and Welsh Rd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia