U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 12:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,586 times

Advertisements

I have been reading the threads and it is very helpful. Due to my time crunch, I hoping for some advice.

I need to relocate to begin a job in Collegeville. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Philly area. Ideally looking to rent for under $1600 and prefer a commute under 50 min.

I am a single, professional in my 30's. I am looking for a safe but active area, hopefully someplace I could meet new people. I enjoy walkable areas that offer things like coffeeshops, good dining and food shopping, ethnic and health foods, bookstores.... I like to be social and active, but not a party animal. Given my age, I am not sure if I would fit into a college town.

I love to jog and enjoy the outdoors. I would like to feel safe coming and going at night.

For reference I come from NYC. I do have a car.

I have a very short time to find a place, so all advice is appreciated!

Other threads have recommended Conshohocken, Phoenixville, Mt.Airy, or Manayunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 01:06 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
You might want to look at Jenkintown. It's about 20 miles from Collegeville. A good point is that there is a train station that can bring you right into center city Philly.

Old 07-31-2009, 02:59 PM

3 posts, read 6,586 times
Thanks. How bad would the commute be from the city (center city area) to collegeville during rush hour? Over 1-hour?

Any advice on traffic patterns getting to collegeville during rush hour is appreciated. (and the return trip leaving the area...)
thanks!

Old 07-31-2009, 04:55 PM

888 posts, read 2,256,898 times
I'll recommend Phoenxiville, only a few miles away, from: Collegeville, PA to: Phoenixville, PA - Google Maps,

The downtown is very walkable, it's being renewed (gentrified is the correct word), a few coffeeshops, new-ish bars, etc. Jogging and bike trail along the river, (you could get all the way into Center City Philly), plus add'l trails in Valley Forge Natl Park a few miles away. On the safe measure, I'd say yes, except for a few select blocks where things are run down. These would be obvious if/when you drive through them.

I'd advise caution on Jenkintown. Your commute can be terrible with traffic, you'll have traffic on the PA Turnpike, either heavy or jammed due to an accident, rain, snow, sun, someone going 45 messing everything up, ... And then you have to deal with Rt 422 for a few miles (Turnpike Exit to Collegeville exit of 422). Issue is in both directions. Not pretty if you value your sanity. I'd suggest you drive these routes during the time of day you'll be using before committing to housing if you choose Jenkintown, and lesser so for Manayunk or Conshohocken.

Phoenixvile to Collegeville bottlenecks will be five or ten cars backed up at a few red lights on that short drive.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:30 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,516,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javabean33 View Post
Thanks. How bad would the commute be from the city (center city area) to collegeville during rush hour? Over 1-hour?

Any advice on traffic patterns getting to collegeville during rush hour is appreciated. (and the return trip leaving the area...)
thanks!
I know someone who commuted for 2 years (probably around 2004-2005) from center city (more like Society Hill) to one of the pharma companies in Collegeville/Upper Providence just off 422. I think it usually took him 1.5 hours each way. A little nutty in my head, but he loved where he lived. I think if the Schuylkill or 422 were jammed more than usual he'd get on Rt. 23 but it still took a long time.

Maybe you'd want to check out West Chester too? That commute isn't great either though. I would think 202 northbound in the morning is a huge mess and the reverse in the evening.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:35 PM

548 posts, read 1,835,315 times
Phoenixville is an option, but you'll want to scope out the "young 30's" scene. I lived there for a year and it seemed like it was mostly couples on double-dates coming in from outside Phoenixville. It wasn't like the actual borough of Phoenixville was an active singles scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia