U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 06:35 PM

47 posts, read 134,207 times

Advertisements

I am currently applying to the Art Institute. I wanted housing up until I realized I could share a bedroom, not a dorm, with two other girls. Which isn't exactly pleasant since I have major issues with sharing space with people. I recently even had about $100 stolen from me at work and I am really touchy about letting random people into my room and the admissions lady said it might be cheaper to have my own place. I want to live close the school still. So, any ideas. Center City is my ideal spot or even South Philly near the train stops.
Tell me, Philly People,where should I look into at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 01:30 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,854,753 times
How much rent can you afford?

Old 08-01-2009, 07:49 AM

47 posts, read 134,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
how much rent can you afford?
$450-650

Old 08-01-2009, 09:47 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,854,753 times
These are in South Philly on craigslist.

Large 700 sqft 1 Bedroom Apartment Recently Remodeled Passyunk Square (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1300114584.html - broken link)

1 Bedroom Apt (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1299790036.html - broken link)

Just stay east of Broad Street.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:00 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,392,026 times
Univ City by Drexel or UPenn might be worth considering. In some cases, you can get your own room and share just the bathroom and kitchen. You may have to share with a lot of people at that price range depending on where you choose.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 AM

3 posts, read 25,692 times
I would definitely look into living in South Philadelphia. I currently live in a 1 bedroom apartment on Broad Street (close to Washington Ave) and pay about $600 monthly. But I also know people who live a few blocks from me (near the Italian market/Pat's & Geno's steaks) who pay as little as $475 for a one bedroom efficiency.

If you choose to look into South Philly for apartments keep in mind that the Orange Line (subway) runs all down Broad Street. So that there is easy access to your school. I went to the University of the Arts which is right next to the Art Ins and it took me less then 10 mins on the subway to get to class. I also rode my bike, and that took me less then 10 minutes also (and saved me a ton of money). Philadelphia is very bike friendly, so that can also be an option for you.

You really aren't going to find anything cheaper in Center City. I have friends who split two bedroom apartments and were still paying $600 each and solo students who payed $1,200 for a one bedroom apartment.

If you want a place in walking distance from your school I would also suggest looking around the South Street area (where the upper number streets are, 15th street +). For example a lot of UArts and AI students live around 16th & Bainbridge, 15th & Catherine, etc. But a lot of them share large houses (3+ bedrooms). So unless you can afford a house all by yourself, you will be forced to live with other roommates.

For a good place to start looking for places and general price ranges, go to craigslist.com
Then look up where the houses are located and use google maps "street view" to get a general feel of how the area looks.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia